Techno Rage

old man emu

Yep. You have to be very careful of how much you put on a page, and where you put it. You need to have your website design beta tested by a consumer. You said that your site will be an information source, which is different from a e-Commerce site, but you still need to keep the viewer interested, at least visually. I suggest that you get someone in their 20's to look at your site to test if it holds their interest visually. They don't have to be interested in the content to give their opinion of the effectiveness of the design.

Also, have someone else proofread your text. If you proofread as your write, you will miss errors, especially words spelt using the same letters, eg from and form.

My gripe is that when I search for something, I get all sorts of rubbish which is irrelevant. Even putting a plus between each key word does not seem to work nowadays. It is sometimes impossible to get to a company that makes something, because there are many pages of retailers selling something with the name or even something completely different.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, old man emu said:

Yep. You have to be very careful of how much you put on a page, and where you put it. You need to have your website design beta tested by a consumer. You said that your site will be an information source, which is different from a e-Commerce site, but you still need to keep the viewer interested, at least visually. I suggest that you get someone in their 20's to look at your site to test if it holds their interest visually. They don't have to be interested in the content to give their opinion of the effectiveness of the design.

Also, have someone else proofread your text. If you proofread as your write, you will miss errors, especially words spelt using the same letters, eg from and form.

Thanks for the input, ome; it's all good advice. I thought of roughing the site out and then handing it to a mate's son who is a web designer, just to get a younger, more professional look at it. Ease of navigation will be the biggest issue. A lot of categories overlap, so care needs to be taken that it doesn't end up a rabbit warren.

It's a nerdy subject with limited worldwide interest, so content wise, it's preaching to the converted. There's no great need to make the content appeal to a wider audience, but the site will have to be uncluttered and easy to navigate for those who would use it. Apart from ALSE enthusiasts, collectors and helmet nerds, the only other group with a passing interest would be eBay sellers looking to identify an item they want to sell. Another requirement is that it must be easily translatable via Google Translate cut & paste, as a fair proportion of viewers would not be native English speakers. It's a big job, but there's a need for it as no comparable site has existed since Alexei Gershin retired his redpilot.com site.

On 15/08/2020 at 10:17 AM, Yenn said:

My gripe is that when I search for something, I get all sorts of rubbish which is irrelevant.

It's like that with Google Images.Search for"helicopter" and you get jumbo jets, motor cars, God knows what.I think they just need to fill up the page.