Your thoughts on a Vic Governemtn Kanga Cull

Jerry_Atrick

Big buck 'roos are quite dangerous, and I would never trust one. The brothers FIL had a buck 'roo as a pet, and one day, out of the blue, it just took to him, grabbing him around the neck and badly mauling him. Naturally, he got pretty angry with it, and promptly shot it.

I believe it might be a hormonal thing with buck 'roos, but there are plenty of tales of people being savaged by 'roos - both pet and wild 'roos.

I can remember saving a buck joey as a teenager, and putting him in a room with me - whereby he promptly launched himself at me, and bit me on the knee! Our "relationship" soured somewhat after that episode, and he got put down, too!

Dad had an amazing escape, and a tale to tell, as regards shooting a big buck 'roo for meat, for the fencers camp he was working in, in the Murchison region of W.A., in the early 1930's.

He picked out a suitable 'roo, and popped off a round with the old .44, and the 'roo fell over - whereupon Dad went up to examine him, and skin him.

He examined him, trying to find the bullet entry point and couldn't find it. A bit puzzled, he laid the 'roo on its back, and started to skin it.

But within a couple of minutes, the 'roo came back to life! - partly-skinned! - and reached up out and grabbed Dad behind the neck with his front paws, and mauled him quite badly! Naturally, Dad plunged the knife into the 'roo to ensure he was properly dead!

He then figured out that what had happened, was the .44 bullet had whacked the 'roo on the thickest part of its skull (their skulls are pretty thick in a few places), without penetrating the skull, and the bullet had only knocked it out!

• Informative 2

On 9 August 2020 at 7:18 PM, onetrack said:

One day, in mid-1982, the brother was walking through the bush on the property, doing some fence planning - and he walked straight into a "nest" of 'roos - about 8 or 10 of them, all lying down, resting in the middle of the day.

The funny part was, they never heard or saw him coming, and he didn't realise they were there, either - right up to the point where he nearly fell over one.

That 'roo bounded to its feet in a panic - followed by all the others - then they all just stopped. This was probably because the brother stopped dead in his tracks, and stood still, too.

All the 'roos simply stood there, looking around nervously, and twitching their ears - without seeing the brother - for a good minute or minute and half.

The brother reckoned you could practically see them saying to each other, "What did you jump up for?" .. "I thought I spotted a human? - didn't you?" ... "Nope, I didn't see or hear anything, I thought you did!" .. "Well, I'm sure I spotted a human!!"

Then, suddenly, one 'roo woke up - that there WAS a HUMAN standing, RIGHT THERE!! - amongst them!!

That 'roo bolted in a panic, instantaneously followed by all the others. As the brother said, what you wouldn''t give to have a movie or video camera, right at that time!

Reminds me of long hunting trips in my teens, when all I shot were rabbits and the odd dingo.

I'd spend the whole day exploring the rugged hills behind our farm and often snuck up on a mob of roos in open country, using only the odd tussock or thistle as cover. Keeping stock still for minutes at a time until they all put their heads down to feed, I could get within 25m of them; then stand up and watch their amazed reactions. 

Although we shot roos when we had to during the drought, I never enjoyed killing these fascinating creatures.

These days plenty of them visit, but they're not all eastern greys. I've seen several other much rarer species on our block and they're welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

A butcher in Alice Springs in the 1950's was called " Harry the Horse" which mystified me being a naive kid. Then  this story went around the town...One day, a lady praised Harry for the leg of lamb she had  bought last week.

Harry thought it was safe to tell her the meat was actually goat. Whereupon the lady went out into the gutter and threw up.

My brothers FIL, Jim, was working as a butcher after WW2, in a butchers shop in Pingelly (W.A.), which was owned by another butcher. I think there were also a couple of apprentices in the shop.

The shop owner (we'll call him Fred) was a real comic, with a quick wit, and always indulging in leg-pulling and tomfoolery.

One day, an old lady came into the shop and said, "Mr Smith, I found this big piece of metal in my minced meat!". She produced a brass ring, that had fallen out of the mincing machine, without the operator noticing.

Quick as a flash, Fred spun around and called out to Jim at the rear of the shop, "Jim! - I told you to take the collar off that dog, before you put him through the mincer!"

The old lady got a look of absolute horror on her face, gasped with shock, and spun around, and virtually ran out of the shop! It wasn't exactly the reaction the lads expected!

• Haha 1

Those old time butchers were always the source of witty comments. I remember my mother going to the butcher's. It was crowded, probably a Saturday morning in the days when people worked five and a half days. The butcher was a mate of my Dad's. Anyway, Mum had bought a lot of meat and there was a big pile of packages on the counter by the time she had finished. The butcher had written down the cost of each package on his pad of thin sheets (remember those?). He stood there facing the crowded shop and tallied the list. Then he said to my mother, in a voice that could be heard by one and all, "That'll be 2/6, darling". Many shocked eyes looked down noses at my mother as she sheepishly put the packages in her shopping bag.