Taxes

Bruce Tuncks

Since a lot of my DNA comes from Cornwall, I'm glad that Cornish has been saved. There are currently an estimated 3,000 speakers of Cornish, 2,000 of whom claim fluency, according to a survey commissioned by the Cornish Language Strategy project in 2008. In the 2011 UK census 600 people in England and Wales declared Cornish as their main language. Cornish language, alphabet and pronunciation

You should check out Duolingo, good way to learn a language. Don't know if they do Cornish, but they do Gaelic so they might.

I lived in a place called Gornal in the Midlands when about 16,lower Gornal was 1 mile away and they spoke a different dialect, from my memory lots of places in Uk are like that,but over the years withe migration there i would think it has all changed, when i was in UK last year mostly heard foreign dialects

I think it was TV and easier transport that made the English easier to understand. Now my sisters and brother in SE England sound just like my in laws in Wales and SW England, I think my spending 3 years in Norfolk stood me in good stead when I came to Australia, the accent was similar.

• Like 2

Was that Norfolk Island? I think we used to send recalcitrants there, but it was usually AFTER they had arrived. At three years, you got a short sentence.

At seven years for a loaf of bread, how many slices gets you three years?

Edited by Guest

Patagonia & sheep - why does Australia sell off its greatest assets to the highest bidder. High quality breeding stock should never be allowed to leave the country (yeah! its too late ,I know)

Welsh is just one of the Gaelic languages (Irish, Scottish, Cornish, Breton). My Irish father claimed a special affinity with north Welsh - at the end of WW2, as a newly minted civil engineer, he found work in the coal mines of the region. He told stores of the Welsh being very "difficult" with the English overlords (managers) but he, as a Gaelic speaking Irishman, had no such problem.

• Like 1

Welsh is just one of the Gaelic languages (Irish, Scottish, Cornish, Breton).

Skippy, it's more the case that Gaelic is just one of the Celtic languages. Breton, Cornish and Welsh have their roots in the Brittonic languages. The Picts and the other Scottish mob I can't remember spoke a Brittonic language. Later on, the Gaels moved into Scotland from Ireland and Gaelic eventually became the dominant language group there. Sometimes people confuse Gaelic with Celtic. The Gaels are just one group of Celtic people.

The Celts have two main language groups, Gaelic and Brittonic. Gaelic languages are Irish, Manx and Scottish Gaelic; the rest are Britonnic.

Edited by willedoo
  • Sad 1

Caledonia is an old Latin name for Scotland, deriving from the Caledonii tribe. It is unknown what name the Caledonians used of themselves, though it was possibly based on a Brythonic word for "hard "or "tough" (represented by the modern Welsh caled). The Picts seem to be a confederation of tribes from northeast Scotland. The confederation appears to have formed in the Late Iron Age (probably in the two hundred years before the Roman invasion of Britain. "Pictish" would probably best describe the dialect spoken by the members of that confederation, rather than a distinct language.

"Brittonic" and "Brythonic" refer to the Welsh, Cornish and Breton languages.