What`s the weather like where you are? How is it affecting you?

farri

Here at Deeral Nth Qld, we measure the rainfall in metres. Yesterday we toped 3 metres, for a total of 79 days this year. It`s raining as I type and there`s a big storm approaching from the south. The forcast is for the rain to continue to the end of this month! of course it won`t be the end of it for this year but fortunately we havn`t had a Cyclone or any major flooding so far, however, the Cyclone season doesn`t end officially until the end of March.

The ground is saturated but on the positive side, the temperature is cool and comfortable, the rain keeps everything green and freash and I`m not farming anymore spacer.png ..... The wind has dropped to a reasonable level so I`ll probably do some flying between showers, over the weekend.

How`s the weather affecting you at your place?

Frank.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your weather affected me here some time ago. How is that? The cyclone damage resulted in my house insurance going up by 50%. I can't afford any more so get your rain god to be more careful or I'll have to be uninsured. I questioned the Insurance Co and they said they spread the cost all around.. Nev

We could really use some ground saturation, while the cracks in the ground aren't huge yet, they're still big enough to lose a spanner if you drop it. We've only about 2 days in the last month where the wind has been under 15 kts. Today is quite nice, but I've heaps of handyman crap to do. If tomorrow's any good I'll take the 95.10out for a spin.

Too dry here, hervey bay queensland. Around 3 inches since october. We are on level 2 water restrictions now, and with oncoming start to dry season, may be a while before we see a chane of rain. Have to stop showering soon. spacer.png

I had an idea for people with dams to take a photo and post it as a record for all too see. There are many that are now dry or very nearly. So if anyone has photos.... Show us!

The cyclone damage resulted in my house insurance going up by 50%. Nev

Unfortunately! A fact of life. South East Queensland has far more violent storms than the Cairns area but our premiums go up accordingly. A couple of months ago I was talking to a guy who lives in the Gordonvale area. He`s well above any flooding that occurs in the local area but his home insurance more than doubled.

Fran and I were insured with the same company for 40 years and had only made one small claim in all that time. After Cyclone Yasi, even though we didn`t need to make any claimes, we were refused furthur insurance ( others were also ), we had to find another company who would insure us at much higer poremiums.As I`ve said! "Fact of life."

Frank.

Here at Deeral Nth Qld, we measure the rainfall in metres. Yesterday we toped 3 metres, for a total of 79 days this year. It`s raining as I type and there`s a big storm approaching from the south. The forcast is for the rain to continue to the end of this month! of course it won`t be the end of it for this year but fortunately we havn`t had a Cyclone or any major flooding so far, however, the Cyclone season doesn`t end officially until the end of March.

The ground is saturated but on the positive side, the temperature is cool and comfortable, the rain keeps everything green and freash and I`m not farming anymore spacer.png ..... The wind has dropped to a reasonable level so I`ll probably do some flying between showers, over the weekend.

How`s the weather affecting you at your place?

Frank.

Frank ,

About 63 mm so far this year and currently 17 degrees in the Victorian Riviera .You may be able to get the Drifter in on 09/27 ,but things would get interesting very quickly in the Jab . Anyway Frank with those creeks rising and those bl** dy croc's a few meters away just watch your back !

Bob

38 degrees and millions of fly's near Innamincka, I hate the fly's, been a hot summer out here with days up towards 50 degrees back in Dec, Jan, & Feb, looking forward to going back home for 3 weeks on the 26th march then back to the fly's again 3 weeks later

Alf

Frank, About 63 mm so far this year and currently 17 degrees in the Victorian Riviera .Bob

G`Day Bob, spacer.png, looking at my, new, you beaut, electronic rain and temperature gague, it tells me we have 26 degrees outside and 26.3 inside. That`s cool for here. Last Sunday my son Michael turned up here at 4am to get his boat and go reef fishing. Later he told me it was 18 degrees at that time.

A couple of weeks ago, Greg from the local boat yard told me there`s been a big crock about 4.5 metres long, sitting on the sand where our property fronts the Mulgrave river. There`s been one in that area for many years, never been a problem, just grown bigger. When Pud and his mates were here, they were camped about 75 metres from the spot. It wasn`t a problem for them! Our crocks are fussy about what they eat.spacer.png.

The day Pud and his friends set camp, I was asked about snakes. I told them, of course there could be snakes but I hadn`t seen one in years. Next morning I went down to see how they were getting on. No crocks! but over night a big snake had come into their camp area. I`m sure the snake would have gone in a different direction had it known what woud happen to it at Puds camp site. spacer.png

Frank.

I'm in mackay.. weather has been sporadic here, ie. Whenever I'm over the hill at work, its severe clear and 5 knots, and when i'm home, its bucketing down :P hows it affecting me? No flying, but getting a bit done on the 601 while its cool :)

G`Day Bob, spacer.png, looking at my, new, you beaut, electronic rain and temperature gague, it tells me we have 26 degrees outside and 26.3 inside. That`s cool for here. Last Sunday my son Michael turned up here at 4am to get his boat and go reef fishing. Later he told me it was 18 degrees at that time.

A couple of weeks ago, Greg from the local boat yard told me there`s been a big crock about 4.5 metres long, sitting on the sand where our property fronts the Mulgrave river. There`s been one in that area for many years, never been a problem, just grown bigger. When Pud and his mates were here, they were camped about 75 metres from the spot. It wasn`t a problem for them! Our crocks are fussy about what they eat.spacer.png.

The day Pud and his friends set camp, I was asked about snakes. I told them, of course there could be snakes but I hadn`t seen one in years. Next morning I went down to see how they were getting on. No crocks! but over night a big snake had come into their camp area. I`m sure the snake would have gone in a different direction had it known what woud happen to it at Puds camp site. spacer.png

Frank.

Frank ,

I'm surprised that an old 'steam gauge Drifter driver ' finds the need to pay for something that tells him something he already knows ! You're just like those kids of mine ! I bet that big bas***d has been eyeing you off for some time and reckons you're probably not worth the effort.

Bob

Just perfect weather here, nicest part of the year.... spacer.png

Beautiful time of the year here to, with it being so dry there hasn't been many days you couldn't fly. Sorta makes for a bigger fuel bill:no: (I'm a farmer I gotta have a whinge about something:wink:)

Very dry here in Melbourne region. So dry that there are big cracks in the ground at our airfield, making taxiing a dicey process - have to watch out for the nosewheel very carefully. The runway has had to have a temporarily displaced threshold to avoid some nasty big cracks at one end. The owner can do nothing until we get some serious rain to close up the cracks again. Also been a lot of very windy days, with fog/low cloud early in the morning followed by hot temperatures later on after the fog has burnt off, making turbulence a regular feature. Waiting for some nice, calm, autumnal weather!

Cheers,

Neil

Wet,wet,wet......I,m walking like a duck, quacking like a duck, and it doesn't look like letting up any time soon.

Me jabs packed, fuelled etc, just waiting for a break to head way south for 3....4 weeks.

Return trip was dropping into the gyro nationals at Wondai Q,

Could be worse I spoze, bet your bogged on the coast there frank.

bet your bogged on the coast there frank.

G`Day Russ, amazingly! the rain has stoped and the wind is reasonable. I have enough high ground to get off with the Drifter, so I will go for a fly this arvo. Looked at the BOM site this morning and it should be raining. Expecting heavy rain all week but fairly light wind.

What a country of extremes we have. An enormous amount of fresh water, that we don`t need, going into the ocean here, while so much of the country is in drought.

Is it time to seriously consider taking action? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradfield_Scheme

Frank.

Yea, beautiful fresh water just flooding into oceans.

Yrs back we bumped into a crew of guys 4, in the middle of whoop woop NT, turns out they were water ologists, head honcho said the yearly unused flood waters was simply massive, and topics re piping it south just wither away. His crew were mapping points of natural basins....pipe to a basin, then re commence piping at it,s southern lowest point. So water get,s moved from Northern Australia, via basin to basin, so to speak. He said it would be a massive task, but most doable, and constructions should be over the next 20 plus yrs.

10.....15 yrs ago, the ord river was damed, created lake argyle, near cunnanarra WA, holds about 20 Sydney harbours, only a pittance is used locally, the rest just pours into northern oceans. Top half of oz, has limitless fresh water, and during the wet seasons countless amounts heads to the sea.

Water control/ownership will make a visioned company wealth beyond their wildest dreams.

Litre of water today, is more expensive than petrol.....almost.

...the ord river was damed, created lake argyle, near cunnanarra WA, holds about 20 Sydney harbours, only a pittance is used locally, the rest just pours into northern oceans. Top half of oz, has limitless fresh water, and during the wet seasons countless amounts heads to the sea...

Interesting, Rus. Why isn't more of the Ord water used?

"Red tape" decided to get onboard. Then greed, throw in rediculous demands, just for a finale....woollies Coles wanted all the fruit/verges at a price that "they determined" regardless of where they came from. Effectively the prospective growers were about to be screwed.

Walk down your woollies Coles aisles, the amounts of imported foods, even fruits veges etc, is staggering. All......all, was, should be ozy grown.

There was/is ?? One big grower, that told the 2 monopolies, go jump, and he was/is, air freighting tons of fresh produce Asia way, japan in particular.

We import fish,prawns for goodness sakes.....yet we have them here, in abundance.

We,ll be importing sugar,milk,vegemite next.....mark my words. The 2 monopolies will be telling us that is what "we" want........pigs arse, it,s all about their bottom line......

PROFIT.

Govts are gutless to take them on. ( oh, I forgot the fuel companies, that,s bordering on price fixing amongst them, they are deadset shafting us ) ....Grrrrrrrrr

The weather isn't hurting me Frank, but my wife just came in and told me she is grounded, apparently she left her broom outside against the house and after 150mm of rain her airframe (handle) is waterlogged!!! Grounded was an interesting turn of phrase for her without any prompting.