What`s the weather like where you are? How is it affecting you?

farri

There was/is ?? One big grower, that told the 2 monopolies, go jump, and he was/is, air freighting tons of fresh produce Asia way, japan in particular.

There it is Russ! The biger $$$ come in from export to those countries.

We import fish,prawns for goodness sakes.....yet we have them here, in abundance.....Grr

The fishermen get paid far more to send their catches to those countries than they would get here in Aus! If they were to receive the same prices for their product here the retail price to the public would be such that none or very little product would be sold. Up here in Cairns a kg of local ocean Coral Trout or Red Emperor can cost around $50...You wont get a kg of top quality ocean caught prawns under $30! So why do we import fish and prawns?..Put simply! The imported fish and prawns retail much cheaper than the Aus product.

Here`s something to think about! As a recreational reef fisherman, my bag limit is a combined limit of 7 in total of all Coral Trout species... I`m not sure of the exact figures but the catch of live Coral Trout from our Great Barrier Reef, by professional fishermen, is in the thousands of tons per year, the majority of which goes to feed other countries and I have it on good authority that a proportion of the fishing boats are owned by foreign interests.

The weather isn't hurting me Frank.

I`m glad to read it isn`t hurting you but I reckon those in SE QLD who received the 400 + mls, that was reported will not be happy.

The weather isn`t realy hurting me either excep that it`s been stinking hot again today and it hasn`t cooled of. I got to fly last weekend and this aftnoon I took my mate and neighbor,John, the Ausi Pom, with me. Nice and cool up there!

Frank.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Arrived at Temora yesterday for the AAAA flyin. Thunderstorms and low cloud all the way from Shepparton. Few got through and it looked like it might be a small showing

This morning we were blanketed in heavy fog and low cloud which finally lifted to about 3000 until the TS started up again.

But lots of aircraft arrived later in the morning and we ended up with over 90 by the end of the day. An immaculate Aero 145 got Grand Champion and the beautiful Plume Stinson Reliant won the Lady's prize.

VH-KAZ won the best Auster (I kid you not) and a very nice PA-22 won best classic.

The next AAAA event is the Auster Moth gathering at Luskintyre last weekend in April.

Kaz

Yesterday was a gorgeous day for Driftering....I spent it cleaning my house. Today was forecast for similar, so I was up 5:30, went out to the strip, and the cloud rolled in......now copping a solid thunderstorm.

We had the best rain we have had in years last week 3 or 4 days of nice steady rain just shy of three inches for the week:ecstatic: and today is a beautiful day with the thermals pumping up their little clouds.

I'm thinking of getting 'horny' (hmm better try and think of a better nickname suggestions would be appreciated) out of the shed and going for a run this evening:plane:

I departed Temora Sunday midday and headed to Narromine for fuel before dropping into a bush strip at Gongolgon to see one of my clients who is doing a long stint in a rehab centre there.

It was wet, narrow and slippery and I did three low passes to check it out before landing. I think my TOW went up about 20 kilos with the amount of sticky red mud I collected.

From there I flew to Bourke for the night. The Darling River was flowing really well and the country was green...very different to last time I went through (2009). I was fuelling up this morning and the Shell man walked over and asked where my Co-pilot had got to. Les remembered me and my old Kelpie, Mandy, and even remembered our names. I washed off the worst of the mud and made ready to go when he warned me that fuel at Cobar is 20 cents dearer than Bourke AND there is a $60 call out fee.

I had filled the tanks to the brim and calculated I could just do the run direct to Griffith and remain legit with reserves intact so Cobar missed out on a victim. Beautiful smooth air at 5500 and refreshingly cool. About 40 NM north of Griffith a C150 sailed across from my right to left at the same level and about a mile in front of me. That raised my attention levels! We must have both decided not to spoil the other's day because he didn't say anything, either.

Griffith was great! The Aeroclub door was open, there were snacks and drinks available with payment into an honesty box, and the loo was a welcome relief! One of the older members arrived and he remembered me from our Antiquers flyin 3 years earlier. All very friendly and no hassles about ASIC or security away from the terminal area.

I hit rough air south of the Murray and it was quite unpleasant even cruising at 6500. I was glad to get home :-)

Kaz

• 2 weeks later...

Bugger!!! Severe tropical cyclone 'Ita' is heading towards the far North Queensland coast. At this stage it`s expected to cross as a category 4, north of Cooktown, on Friday at 10pm....Having lived through many Cyclones, I know it`s still anybodies gues where it will finaly cross but if it crosses over a populated area ( not a lot of the Queensland coast not populated) at catogary 4, it`s going to cause a hell of a lot of damage. The last Cyclone to hit north Queensland was Yasi. It crossed around Mission beach as a category 4 and the result was devastating.

At the moment, for us here at home, it`s life as usual and hoping for the best.

This link will take you to the latest BOM Cyclone tracking map.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/httpdata_r/images/synoptic/wz_tc_track_qld_640x480.jpg

Frank.

Bugger!!! Severe tropical cyclone 'Ita' is heading towards the far North Queensland coast. At this stage it`s expected to cross as a category 4, north of Cooktown, on Friday at 10pm....Having lived through many Cyclones, I know it`s still anybodies gues where it will finaly cross but if it crosses over a populated area ( not a lot of the Queensland coast not populated) at catogary 4, it`s going to cause a hell of a lot of damage. The last Cyclone to hit north Queensland was Yasi. It crossed around Mission beach as a category 4 and the result was devastating.

At the moment, for us here at home, it`s life as usual and hoping for the best.

This link will take you to the latest BOM Cyclone tracking map.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/httpdata_r/images/synoptic/wz_tc_track_qld_640x480.jpg

Frank.

Yeah Frank , things are about to get very interesting I think , but like they say ...... " Just another day in paradise " . Just put on the headphones , turn up the amp and play that guitar .

Bob

The link is correct! Cyclone Ita has been upgraded to category 5, with tidal surge of 2 to 3 meters. Even at category 4 it will be as devistating as cyclone Yasi. Cooktown is in for a bad time. We will most likely cop some wind here at Deeral also. At the moment, just a waite and see situation here.

Frank.

The link is correct! Cyclone Ita has been upgraded to category 5, with tidal surge of 2 to 3 meters. Even at category 4 it will be as devistating as cyclone Yasi. Cooktown is in for a bad time. We will most likely cop some wind here at Deeral also. At the moment, just a waite and see situation here.

Frank.

How much above high tide is your place Frank?

How much above high tide is your place Frank?

Hi O K, About 1 meter at the lowest point of the property. The main strip is not the lowest point but this is what happened a few years back when we didn`t take the situation seriously enough! It flooded overnight. Nex day I was able to get the Drifter to higher ground but the owner of the Zenith decided to turn it around and waite for the water to go down. Bad move! It continued to rise and Zenith couldn` be moved. The water peaked about 6 inches above the bottom surface of the wing. The owner wasn`t a bit woried! A couple of new gauges and a good dry out and it was ready to fly again. I flew quite a few hours in it.

At the moment, it`s being reported that Cyclone Ita has wind gusts to 300 kph. It looks like it may be the strongest cyclone recorded.

[ATTACH]47433._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Frank.

2056814207_2wetaircraft.thumb.jpg.25454f98cd0759f0b31d3e49e220f18c.jpg

Crikey Frank, you've got rising damp

Yeah! but it doesn`t happen every other day or I wouldn`t be here.

An amphibious Drifter?.

Love one! I flew a Drifter on floats many years ago but I have more use for wheels.

Is this the normal time of year for cyclones at the cape? Nev

Short answer is No! End of March is supposed to be the end of cyclone season but there has been cyclones in April before.

U better put float on her frank or head south for the winter

Nah! Just need to move it to higher ground early enough. Just finished doing that and it`s well secured, just going to get wet for a while.

Been raining here heavy this morning but the real rain will come when Ita crosses the coast. There`s going to be some severe flooding in many areas, I`m excepting the main strip to flood and I`ll probably be flooded in for a while but that`s no big problem, I`ve had to deal with that many times in the 40 years we`ve been here. Our granddaughter and her partner Sam live here on the property in the house that was my parents. Alison has a 3 day old baby (second great grandaughter to Fran and I ) They and Fran will be getting of the property and I`m going to stay and mind the fort.

Frank.

Best wishes to you and family, Frank. Stay safe...can't be too many old Drifter pilots left spacer.pngKaz

Thank you Kaz! I love it. All the best to you also.spacer.png Come to think of it! Can`t be too many old Auster pilots left either. spacer.png

I`ve just checked the latest BOM cyclone tracking map and at this stage Ita will hit Cape Flattery at category 5, then Cooktown at 1 am Saturday as a category 4 . Cyclone Yasi was cat 4 so there will be extreme damage. Once it makes landfall it`s expected to travel south, inland close to the east coast, as a cat 1 then go back out to sea somewhere south of Innisfail and track south parallel to the coast, so like it or not! we`re going to get a good shaking as well as plenty of fresh water. Fran has just told me the predicted rainfall will be aproximately 200mls every 6 hours.

Ya need a set of these for the weather your having

Nah! Too much trouble getting up into the seat for a short ass like me.

Frank