Crazy laws.

red750

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is all fantasy. Can you imagine the cops enforcing this law?

First up many drive-throughs are pretty well hidden from view of the main road. So the cop would have to be sitting in the car park with a view of the drive through (and the ability to tell that the engine is running and not switched off), and I believe those car parks are for customers only, so he'd better be chowing down some Big Mac's while doing so.

Secondly, can you imagine business quietly watching their drive-through business take a nosedive if the cops did find a way to book the drivers? There'd be instant lobbying before you could say "bottom line".

There's a lot of stupid laws on the books that are never enforced. Most of them haven't kept up with societal or technological change (abortion was illegal in NSW until last week).

Tell me when a cop actually books someone, until then it's a storm in a teacup.

These extreme scenarios are dreamt up by people with a deep-seated dislike for police, and who have no concept of the high workload given to police. I soon learned that if I wanted a meal during a shift, I had better take sandwiches to work. Then I could grab a bite while typing reports, statements and the like. Meal break with no interruptions? In your dreams! The Award had it that a half hour meal break was to be taken in the first five hours of a shift. Five hours into a shift and you were up to your eyeballs in Domestics, shoppies, prangs and the occasional dead'un. As for seeking out trivial offences, that's like fishing for minnows in a shoal of bluefin tuna.

I didn't say the laws were enforced, just that technically they are on the books. These questions were asked by Victoria Police. As you say, written years ago and never updated. Many new cars come with interactive screens built in - how are they to be policed? Controlling backseat kids - there's a distraction.

These extreme scenarios are dreamt up by people with a deep-seated dislike for police, and who have no concept of the high workload given to police. I soon learned that if I wanted a meal during a shift, I had better take sandwiches to work. Then I could grab a bite while typing reports, statements and the like. Meal break with no interruptions? In your dreams! The Award had it that a half hour meal break was to be taken in the first five hours of a shift. Five hours into a shift and you were up to your eyeballs in Domestics, shoppies, prangs and the occasional dead'un. As for seeking out trivial offences, that's like fishing for minnows in a shoal of bluefin tuna.

Similar thing with firearm storage inspections. I don't know if it still happens, but in times past, firearm owners have had unannounced knocks on the door for inspections. The paranoid types tend to think the police are trying to catch them out. The truth of the matter is, the police are under staffed and over worked. Weapons Licensing dumps the inspections lists on local police with no extra allocated time to do it. So they all have to take a list of twenty inspections each and try to fit it in with their normal duties. If they happen to be in the area of one of the addresses, they would try to see if anyone was home if they had time. I think it's got a bit better now, but that's the way it was.

And the way it should be. As in you should never have prior notice of any compliance inspection.

Or the non compliant just fudge it and comply knowing you are coming. Then continue to break law after you leave.

But yes it is a burden on the copper.

Willedoo got it completely correct. That's what we had to do, along with all the peace-keeping tasks expected of police. Makes me wonder if Willedoo once wore a suit of blue.

Typically, the majority of people on the list were good people who enjoyed sport shooting with a little bit of hunting when they got the chance. I'd wager that a lot of wives were happy when the storage regulations came in and their husbands were required to put their guns in a cupboard and not leave them all over the place, making a mess.

Typically, the majority of people on the list were good people who enjoyed sport shooting with a little bit of hunting when they got the chance. I'd wager that a lot of wives were happy when the storage regulations came in and their husbands were required to put their guns in a cupboard and not leave them all over the place, making a mess.

I'd agree there for sure. The storage requirements are a main pillar of our legislation, as is the restricted and regulated ability to acquire firearms. And Litespeed is correct in that too much pre-arrangement of inspections would weaken the safety aspect of storage requirements. Two of the biggest problems in the U.S. are those two criteria. It's too easy for people to legally acquire weapons with a high degree of lethality, and too easy for people to access another person's unsecured firearms. That's the main two in our laws; the rest of the regulations just complete the mix.

Sporting shooters usually have good relations and experiences with the police, which is mutually beneficial. Because the legislation doesn't allow a short time frame for licensing and acquisition, it gives the clubs time to assess the suitability of a new member before they can own firearms. It's a critical thing with pistol shooting clubs. That's an area where the clubs can have hands on input; an area the police don't have the same opportunity to have direct knowledge of. I think the law there works out good for both.

The acceptance of, and observance of, gun laws in Australia are the reasons that the ratio of criminal wounding/killings with guns to the number of guns known to be present is very low.

The Americans won't accept strict storage regulations because they will not accept the entry of law enforcers into their homes for the purposes of inspecting storage of firearms. If an Englishman's home is his castle, a Yank's home is his Armageddon-proof bunker.

"These extreme scenarios are dreamt up by people with a deep-seated dislike for police, "

My Grand-daughter was fined & lost her licence, For NOT having her L-plate Vertical,( just stuck a corner under the number-plate).

Bloooodi trivial pursuits !. ( it was visible after-all ).

spacesailor

Didn't she know that when you get a ticket it is just an allegation of an offence. The police can be made to prove it in Court. But before that, why not march up to the police station and demand to see the Duty Officer and make a complaint about the lack of discretion? And if it went to Court any reasonable Magistrate would toss the matter out.

Too many people don't have the guts to stand up for themselves, then spend years bitching to all and sundry about how they were hard done by. God (or Dog) helps those who help themselves. I bet if I walked up to her in the street and gave her a mouthful, she wouldn't be backward in coming forward with an equally strong response.

• 3 months later...
Stupid law !.

Some twit (not Spacey) has misinterpreted the Child Protection (Working with Children) Act Division 1 Section 6 Sub-section 1(a) in applying that to firefighters.

1)  A worker is engaged in child-related work for the purposes of this Act if—

(a)  the worker is engaged in work referred to in subsection (2) that involves direct contact by the worker with a child or children and that contact is a usual part of and more than incidental to the work,

One of the types of work defined is children’s health services, which is the provision of health care in wards of hospitals where children are treated and the direct provision of other child health services,

It is accepted that in some cases, volunteer firefighters would provide First Aid to children, but the provision of First Aid is "more than incidental" to the core work of a firefighter. 

Section 6 Sub-section 2 sets out what is deemed to be "child-related work" under this Act, and firefighting is not one of the things that is child-related work.

According to the regulations, only police are exempt from requiring a 'Working with Children' Clearance. Ambos have to have one, since they are providing child health services.

As an aside, since I am an Authorised Bus Driver , and may be involved in the transport of children, I have to have one.

I am a volunteer at my Men's Shed, where I help other seniors with using the computer and internet, and processing digital photographs, not that there is a great call for services. I also do computer searches for anything that may be needed, and I am the resident photographer. The youngest person I normally deal with is over 50. But because the Shed conducts a youth program for  drop-out youths, on a day which I don't attend, where other volunteers, experienced in carpentry and other woodworking, provide mentoring for these youths and girls, usually between 14 and 18, I am obliged as a volunteer to have a working with children clearance.

RED,

Shoot this back at the Men's Shed: http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_act/wwca2005232/s9.html

Your activities at the Men's Shed do not ordinarily involve contact with children, therefore you don't need one. Even if you might be asked sometimes to take photographs of the children while they are engaged in youth program activities, that does not constitute "ordinarily"

What we have here is another example of Administrators lacking the ability to read and understand Legislation, and always applying "worst case" responses.

My gripe about these checks is not the checking itself, but the audacity of Governments to charge applicants for the check.

1.  The Government made the Law requiring these checks

2.  The Government whacked on a fee.

3.  It is a case of the applicant having to prove "innocence", which is contradictory to the usual requirement for the accuser to prove absence of innocence.

4.  With the computerisation of identity and criminal records, it only takes a minute or two to link a person with their criminal record.

5.  With computerisation, it only takes a minute or two to make a record in a database of the result of the check.

6.  With computerisation, the information that the appliant needs is automatically forwarded electronically.

Consider this: if you were stopped for a traffic offence, the constable can check your traffic and criminal history from the constable's vehicle in a few moments. These are exactly the same databases that a public servant would access in dealing with your WWCC at an office desk. Is the $80 used to pay for the public servant's desk in an air conditioned office?

Not a bad little earner for the Government. 

Our gliding club requires a police check for passenger-carrying pilots. We were told this by the GFA.  We chose to pay the fee for the pilots to avoid them all giving up. 

Gosh, how could you molest anybody while flying a tandem glider I wonder.

Our gliding club requires a police check for passenger-carrying pilots. We were told this by the GFA.  We chose to pay the fee for the pilots to avoid them all giving up. 

Gosh, how could you molest anybody while flying a tandem glider I wonder.

Once again, administrators going off half-cocked. You have to read and understand what the Act defines as "child-related work". Each State has its own, but they are virtually identical, and allow for persons with a WWCC in one State to function in another on a temporary basis.

Unless the glider pilot had a continuing role with a child, ie an instructor, then a pilot carrying out a casual flight would not need a WWCC (which is what a police check is). Besides, how often would some kid come to a glider field for regular flying without the parent's knowledge?

However, since a WWCC for a volunteer is free, getting one is no burden to carry. Being directed incorrectly that you need one is worth objecting to.