Crazy laws.

red750

from the general view we see of how people think of the police, I wonder why they ever took up the job in the first place. I have asked a few and they all seem to have been idealistic in wanting to help society. Some of them even seem to enjoy the job, even though it really only puts them touch with that part of the population who are not happy.

A motor bike hit a roo and crashed into my front gate a few weeks ago and the two coppers were as happy as Larry. The rider only had a broken wrist. It was really good to see their attitude, but I wonder how long it will last.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OME, for me the issue is that there are times when a motorist is pulled up for doing something that breaks the law (thus qualifies for an infringement notice), but has clearly not posed a risk to person or property. At that time, the officer has an opportunity to create respect by giving a caution, explaining that the action is against the law, and it is not ok to break the law even when you think is is safe. Most motorists would breath a sigh of relief instead of harbouring a grudge for the rest of their life about feeling unjustly booked. For me, it would result in a positive response.

Local police would soon get to know which people are going to try to exploit the opportunity, and the generosity would have to be rather limited. But the only time I got a warning was back in 1970, and since then I have only been booked for a couple of things. They were momentary lapses where the police persued the letter of the law rather than the spirit of the law which is intended to force motorists to use common sense with regard to safety.