My Mobile Phone is off limits during the day...

Jerry_Atrick

How can you not have a landline of you are getting NBN - don't they use the land line to deliver it?

Not sure whether you are addressing this to me. To clarify, I mean there is a physical land line, I connect to ADSL but there is no phone service associated with it. The only cost is included in the monthly $69 internet fee. The performance is pretty unimpressive though.

"I 'm lucky enough to have an old copper landline as well as a wireless NBN connection"

I'm unlucky as have now three copper lines: old Telstra, optus cable, now New N B N, copper line.

WE should get a lot of grumpy people to make a class action to remove what the telcoes have erected on our land, & are going to abandon there !.

spacesailor

@octave - wasn't aimed at you personally - I have heard on Aus Radio that virtually no-one has a land line service anymore - I was taking this to mean they only have mobile. Over here, there are mobile providers that will do broadband, but the cost of the land line service is a miniscule add on to the fixed line rental. I have a deal where I get unlimited super fast broadband (Fibre - so not too fast, I guess); unlimited national an international calls to all but the most expensive countries to call, mobile unlimited calls to the EU, unlimited data, text and nternational roaming (didn't pay a penny more for the calls I made/took while in Aus) for £90/month. If I knocked off the land line service (including unlimited national/international calls), it would save me not quite £10/month...

I guess without a land line service, some in more remote areas would need to have their mobile phones use the wireless connection of home... How much more is the land line service?

@octave - wasn't aimed at you personally - I have heard on Aus Radio that virtually no-one has a land line service anymore - I was taking this to mean they only have mobile. Over here, there are mobile providers that will do broadband, but the cost of the land line service is a miniscule add on to the fixed line rental. I have a deal where I get unlimited super fast broadband (Fibre - so not too fast, I guess); unlimited national an international calls to all but the most expensive countries to call, mobile unlimited calls to the EU, unlimited data, text and nternational roaming (didn't pay a penny more for the calls I made/took while in Aus) for £90/month. If I knocked off the land line service (including unlimited national/international calls), it would save me not quite £10/month...

I guess without a land line service, some in more remote areas would need to have their mobile phones use the wireless connection of home... How much more is the land line service?

We lived in the bush for 20 years and mobile was not an option. We had dial up then upgraded to ISDN and then finally satellite.

I thought I would clarify my first post because it may have caused confussion. I have a fixed line but no phone service.

My wife insists we keep the landline till the bitter end. Only yesterday she was talking to a friend about the death of a mutual friend, and her mobile went dead. Had to ring via the landline to finish the conversation. Even though we are in the metro area, and only about 3 km from mobile towers, we are in a bit of a valley,and it's a bit of a blackspot. We often have to take the mobile outdoors to get reception.