Are you all GLAD that you live in a nice WARM country ?

Phil Perry

I understand that the effect of anthropogenic climate change is based on the earth's atmosphere being a (somewhat) closed system. As more energy is trapped by greenhouse gasses, the result will be more frequent, extreme weather events. Not necessarily restricted to higher temperatures 'tho this has been described in the reports of ever hotter aggregate temps in succeeding years. Anyone for western Sydney yesterday? Don

Bah

7 of the 10 hottest years ever recorded have occurred since 2005. That may have more significance. Nev

Ah,, I wouldn't worry too much . . what with the cyclical nature of Earth's climate over the last few millennia, we'll possibly be all buried under another mile of ice in the UK in a few thousand years anyhow. . .either that, or all barbecued to a crisp. . . Be an interesting TV programme for a new 'Time Team' though. . .

While 2015-17 were all within the hottest six years on record, our carbon emissions also continued to increase during the same period.

Government data pushed out under the cloak of Christmas indicates that we will be about 140 million tonnes — or about 30 per cent — above that target based on current growth.

And this is under the prime ministership of Malcolm Turnbull, who in 2010 warned that "the consequences of unchecked global warming would be catastrophic."(ABC News- today)

Don,

OME, maybe Don never heard that old joke regarding international exchange rates.

Which is what I was alluding to. The old joke plays on the difficulties of the (then) Japanese, to pronounce certain English language sounds.

For your edification, and only as a means of edification, here is the joke from the 1970/80s.

A Japanese tourist was in Sydney to see the sights. He went to the Bank to change 100,000 Yen to AUD.

The teller did the calculations and gave him $1,140.

The next week the tourist did the same, but this time was given $1269.

On the third week the same transaction returned the tourist $1034, which had him scratching his head.

He asked the teller, "First time I come, I give you 100,000 yen. You give me $1140. Next time you give me $1269 for same yen. Today you give me only $1034. Why not same all the time?"

The teller said, "It's the currency market."

The tourist said, "What you meant, currency market?"

The teller said , "Just fluctations"

The tourist yelled, "Well, fluck you Australians, too!"

G'day OME, I have never used the CAUTION tag before. I didn't do it to be unfriendly but simply on face value. I am not happy about the level of racist dog whistling that we see in Oz. Was surprised at your post but I am relaxed now that you have explained. Not dumb, just saying. Peace brother. Don

I must admit, when I first read the post, I though, "allo, that is a little out of order!" But having read so many OME posts, i dawned on me it contained a touch of sarcasm...

And, like Alexi Sayle, "I ate people bein' sahcahstick.."

(Just kidding.. I often to have to refrain from using it at inappropriate times)

• 3 weeks later...
Back to the original topic of the thread, what I wouldn't give to be shovelling snow right now. Consecutive days above 40, sweltering nights with no sleep, power blackouts due to extreme demand.

Why is it that TV weather presenters always seem to exude joie de vivre when they announce that tomorrow it will be hot and humid, with a UV index high enough to cause melanomas to burst forth on old leather boots and there's a snowflakes hope in Hell of any decent rain for a week to come.?

Why is it that TV weather presenters always seem to exude joie de vivre when they announce that tomorrow it will be hot and humid, with a UV index high enough to cause melanomas to burst forth on old leather boots and there's a snowflakes hope in Hell of any decent rain for a week to come.?

The radio announcers amuse me - when we haven't had rain for four months, bushfire danger is extreme and there's a one month waiting list to get a water delivery, they quite cheerily announce that it's a beautiful, fine, sunny day ahead.