I wish we had a 'HISTORY' thread' That would be nice - to honour those who did what they did.

Phil Perry

]

Old Koreela. I have re read your post and it still seems the same to me.Out troops did a great job and were treated badly when they came home.

At the time of the war I would tell people that it was all wrong and they accused me of slagging off our troops. That is the usual way politicians and rat bags try to get at people with other ideas.

OME seems to have got it right.

Most of the problems we have here and also those that are still coming are caused by politicians who cannot see past the next election.

I totally agree with everything you said- except the first bit.

Yenn said: "Old Koreela said that the Viet Nam war made them proud of this country..." Not true.

In Post #15 I actually said: "In a couple of perhaps uniquely Australian ways, that war made me very proud of our country." Those two aspects were the way we accepted Vietnamese refugees, and the way our vets treated their former enemy. Sorry to labour the point, but I've been misquoted too many times to let this one go.

kg with respect you are one off the cowards that sent rice to nam and 500 died for that sxxit you wrote and believed what that piece off sxxit hawke and co so I was a baby killer was I get a grip scum look back you and persons are the ones that bashed me in Balmain pub what a pity you loosers got from me what you derserved neil

The way the returning Viet war soldiers were treated was Scandalous.. They Lost the lottery so they went. They had no choice. The (RS EL) also behaved abominably (as usual) They did the same to the 2nd war returnees. like OURS was the real war.. BS.. but not quite as badly as Vietnam. I've met lots of Vietnam VETERANS when on the road and a lot of them ride bikes. I"ve flown with some ex Huey Pilots,. Korean war and WW2 pilots.. They don't talk about it except in a few short windows sometimes to perhaps one person they are trusting. They would all have the private nightmares to live with.. War is MADNESS. The people who start them and benefit from them never fight them. Nev

@kgwilson - correct me if I am wrong, but I think what you are saying is that you were protesting about the fact that the war had to happen and we should send our troops there.. not protesting against our troops.. is that correct? If so, it is a protest against the politics and politicians (given that you said it was the polticians who shoul dhave been sent to fight). Just want to clear that one up.

With the gulf war II and afghanistan war here, we had the same issue. The press and the public stood solidly behind the troops and they are treated as heroes for doing their duty for their country - there was a definite cyncism of the politics of it all and politicians have felt the public wrath. I say this knowing it will offend some, but Australia (myself included) should hang its head in shame at the way it treated Vietnam vets. Soldiers do not and should not have the right to pick and choose which wars to fight - that would undermine the role of the military. However, the politicians on all sides should be held to account and, although I cannot really comment on the Vietnam war, there are quite a few western leaders, Blair and Bush jnr especially, that should be being called to answer for their decisions.

And, yes, Australia should be a little more assertive than an acne soptted younger sibling of America.

kg with respect you are one off the cowards that sent rice to nam and 500 died for that sxxit you wrote and believed what that piece off sxxit hawke and co so I was a baby killer was I get a grip scum look back you and persons are the ones that bashed me in Balmain pub what a pity you loosers got from me what you derserved neil

I don't think you read his post properly Neil.

Neil, you begin "with respect" but provide none. You need to read my post and think. I protested about the governments stupidity. Soldiers were just doing their job. The Vietnamese were just trying to reclaim their country after being exploited by the French & then the Yanks for more than a century. A family friend was in 161 battery at the battle of Long Tan. I was 16 at the time & could not understand why we were there. I won the lottery in 69 & did 3 years in the Territorials which I really enjoyed. NZ only ever sent volunteer regulars to Vietnam. I knew a number of them & wished them well. They knew I opposed our involvement but they were professionals doing their job & their duty.

How the groundswell of opposition to the war turned into hatred of our own troops was extremely distressing for me. I find it quite amazing now that many of those who served and survived deeply scarred from their time there have now found forgiveness and friendship with their former enemy.

On my overland journey back to NZ from the UK in 1975 I went to Vientienne in Laos crossing the Mekong from Nong Khai & was trapped there when the Pathet Lao took over. The border was closed so I took advantage of a return flight to Hanoi for US$25.00. The City was incredibly battle scarred after so much bombing from B52s & the people were busy rebuilding but so friendly and generous with the little they had it was one of the most humbling experiences of my life.

• 2 weeks later...

this is part off a letter

you came to our land,shed your blood on our soil . our country is small and poor thousands of miles afar from your shores,but we have fought side by side in the spirit of comrades in arms , defending the great cause of mankind :freedom threatened by communism

but by manipulation of public opinion through skillful propaganda to the extent that the true nature of the war was distorted

instead of recognition of your courage sacrifices and heroism ,you had to bear the brunt of cruel and unjust criticism and treatment from the very people who is enjoying liberty on this part of the world

for the there was once north and south viet nam so what more do you not undersand as I said don't start me on nam if you cant stand the truth neil

Neil, you begin "with respect" but provide none. You need to read my post and think. I protested about the governments stupidity. Soldiers were just doing their job. The Vietnamese were just trying to reclaim their country after being exploited by the French & then the Yanks for more than a century. A family friend was in 161 battery at the battle of Long Tan. I was 16 at the time & could not understand why we were there. I won the lottery in 69 & did 3 years in the Territorials which I really enjoyed. NZ only ever sent volunteer regulars to Vietnam. I knew a number of them & wished them well. They knew I opposed our involvement but they were professionals doing their job & their duty.

How the groundswell of opposition to the war turned into hatred of our own troops was extremely distressing for me. I find it quite amazing now that many of those who served and survived deeply scarred from their time there have now found forgiveness and friendship with their former enemy.

On my overland journey back to NZ from the UK in 1975 I went to Vientienne in Laos crossing the Mekong from Nong Khai & was trapped there when the Pathet Lao took over. The border was closed so I took advantage of a return flight to Hanoi for US$25.00. The City was incredibly battle scarred after so much bombing from B52s & the people were busy rebuilding but so friendly and generous with the little they had it was one of the most humbling experiences of my life.

Sorry KG, NZ did have conscription. I was selected for mil service in 1969 by ballot. All 19 year olds in NZ at the time had to register with the Dept of labour to go into the ballot for service. Might pay to check your facts. I still have my military registration card from that time. EDIT>> KG was partially correct on reflection butIt was made very clear to me that I would "volunteer to serve in vietnam" when I as conscripted. I know what the policy was but the actual was somewhat different.

Where did I say NZ didn't have conscription? I was one of them. If you were born on one of the days chosen (winning the lottery) you did 3 month national service with 3 years in the territorials unless found medically unfit. That's what I did. 6 weeks basic training at Burnham & another 6 weeks in my posting to Waiouru. I repeat that NZ only ever sent volunteer regulars to Vietnam. Territorials were not part of that.