One in five UK Kids believe Fish Fingers are made from Chicken.

Phil Perry

As a kid, and one whose grandfather's people were dairy farmers, I knew that milk comes from cows and butter from bulls. When I went to the farm, I didn't want to do too much work, so at milking time I would always cry out, "I'd rather milk a bull, 'cause there's only one tit to pull."

And what is the other 50%, Marty?

Chicken fingers are less than 50% real chicken meat.

You do know that chicken nuggets are not allowed to be called meat - they are called "manufactured meat". But because they are made from tumble-ground (my own term) chicken frames after all useful meat has been plucked, they offer a good source of calcium. The process pulls soft bone off.

No Comment.

[ATTACH=full]2273[/ATTACH]

So putting it in a more positive way aproxemately 80% of children knew that fish fingers are not made of chicken.

From the original article.

"While 73 per cent of five to seven-year-olds and 92 per cent of eight to 11-year-olds were aware that fish fingers are usually made from haddock or cod, 18 per cent of the younger pupils and 6 per cent of the older ones thought they were made from chicken."

Another gem from this article is this.

"The confusion doesn’t end at age 11, either. One in 10 of those aged 11 to 14 thought tomatoes grow underground, and 22 per cent thought they grow on a bush."

Or again to put it another way 90% are knowledgeable about the origin of tomatoes.

Seems pretty impressive to me.

I suspect that the article this is from is aimed at older people who would like to think that they are the last truly great generation is their own and that young people these days are hopeless. But if anything it suggests to me that this article is written for people who are not very analytical about what 1 in 5 actually means.

So putting it in a more positive way aproxemately 80% of children knew that fish fingers are not made of chicken.

From the original article.

"While 73 per cent of five to seven-year-olds and 92 per cent of eight to 11-year-olds were aware that fish fingers are usually made from haddock or cod, 18 per cent of the younger pupils and 6 per cent of the older ones thought they were made from chicken."

Another gem from this article is this.

"The confusion doesn’t end at age 11, either. One in 10 of those aged 11 to 14 thought tomatoes grow underground, and 22 per cent thought they grow on a bush."

Or again to put it another way 90% are knowledgeable about the origin of tomatoes.

Seems pretty impressive to me.

I suspect that the article this is from is aimed at older people who would like to think that they are the last truly great generation is their own and that young people these days are hopeless. But if anything it suggests to me that this article is written for people who are not very analytical about what 1 in 5 actually means.

I agree entirely Sir. This type of bland, non - fact, should really be listed along with ANY article which begins with the phrase ''Studies have shown'. . .

I post this stuff so that we can postulate, not because I have any belief in it. . . to take much notice of stuff like this, one would have to be somewhat lacking in independent thought. Being a really nice human being ( well I think so ) I voluntarily carry our some garden grass cutting for some oldies in my neighbourhood, as I am retired and not fully occupied any longer and it's good excercise.

One lovely elderly Lady ( 86 yo ) makes me several cups of tea every time I do her lawn, and then espouses on all the problems in the world. We chat about all sorts of things. . . Her stock answer to any dissent from myself with regard to a particular news item is rebutted strongly with the comment "Well it MUST be true,. . otherwise it wouldn't be in the newspaper. . ."

Bless.

The more time I spend with kids the more I am in awe of them. Today's kids have far more pressures, far less certainty and lots fewer good role models than my generation had; yet many of them turn out to be bonzer people!

No argument there OK,. . .My two Daughters are Loving, Caring, Kindly, Hard Working 'Super Bonzer' people. . . surprising, . . when you consider whom Their role model was. . . .

So, Phil. What makes you think YOU were their role model? Your kids had access to television and radio and school, didn't they?

As for my own tribe, despite my blundering efforts (well I had no previous experience in the job), they all developed into fully functional human beings!

So, Phil. What makes you think YOU were their role model? Your kids had access to television and radio and school, didn't they?As for my own tribe, despite my blundering efforts (well I had no previous experience in the job), they all developed into fully functional human beings!

PETE. . . .I WAZZ joshin' yer mate !

I showed mine LOTS of flying during their early development. . .but thankfully, neither of them decided to carry on with this most dangerous, dubious practice. spacer.png

Yeah, and mine still talk to me. Thankfully not too often. Which shows that they learnt good taste from someplace. And they all seem to be living safe, comfortable, conservative (not in the political sense) lives. Quite unlike me on all counts, I'm proud to say. But then, I never tried to make them into "mini-me".

No offence intended, Phil.

Yeah, and mine still talk to me. Thankfully not too often. Which shows that they learnt good taste from someplace. And they all seem to be living safe, comfortable, conservative (not in the political sense) lives. Quite unlike me on all counts, I'm proud to say. But then, I never tried to make them into "mini-me".

No offence intended, Phil.

And None taken Pete. . .( you'd have to try harder than that 'cos we is mates. . .)