Who's working for themselves

Mark11

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zibi

The idea is based on a APP..as stated before in this thread....they have used the app idea and combined it with some hardware and some nice protocol via the wifi.....I think these guys will sell a motza of them.....a lot of good money making ideas are just a reinvention or update of the original wheel...you just have to find the right type of wheel

It's possible that they'll make a lot of money, even if their project is completely useless 99% of time (the part that's different from a normal LED light), after all how often would you switch your light colour?

How often do you want your lights to behave like disco lights?

Controlling lights with mobile phone is about as useful as those hand clapper switches.

I'm sure there will be people that will buy it, but I don't expect them to make a fortune on this, on the other hand I've been known to underestimate peoples desire for gimmicky useless stuff and smatphones and tablets are the latest craze and everything that has a mobile phone app is now somehow "better" - next thing you'll have a mobile controlled toilet flush or something (that may be your next project Mark - I won't even charge you for it )

Zibi you maybe right....I don't think the toilet seat with built in warmer was a successful idea but they did sell quite a lot worldwide...The young ones today as you know all love the wizz bang flashy crap and musicolour trendy stuff they live with and for their smartphones...the gimmick stuff usually makes money. even if you only get .5 % of the smartphone eligible youngness...that is still a huge market

Guest Andys@coffs

I reckon the wifi LED Lamp is a winner, if they let a professional marketeer loose on the idea then you could build in a heap of upsell...

For eaxmple the app that comes with the light should allow the bulb to be on when its installed and then the app should only have the Off functionality enabled, the On functionality would require a paid upgrade. The first upgrade should only allow the bulb to work for 10 minutes before it is turned off automatically (this should not be disclosed in the initial upgrade process). Extensions to the 10 minute time would require an additional paid upgrade available at a differnt URL than the first.

Ideally the App should only work for about 6 months before everything stops, at which time you need a paid version upgrade which of course should offer, but not necessarily deliver enhanced functionality and additional unwanted functionality (goes without saying that thisone should be at yet a 3rd URL not at all clear to initial purchasers) ......

If teh guys were really on the game they could offer a 30% cost (cpi adjusted of course) maintenance contract that would allow free replacment of any failed items (which should be built to last at least 4 years) the 30% should also be charged for any upsell apps and is not avoidable if you have the maint contract on the main bulb...

....or dehydrated water to save weight and space. Guess what you have to add to reconstitute the dehydrated water to the drinkable stuff?

....you got it: H2O![/quote

Dehydrated water must be very thick, like syrup and a strong taste.spacer.png

Fair dinkum F_T...spacer.png If that idea takes off, I'm moving next door to you and taking up punk rock bagpipe playing....spacer.png

You could tie your wifi apadtor for your keys with the wifi LED lights with an app to change the colour of the LED closest to your key... the mind boggles how you can find new ways to fleece people. Apple have been doing it for years... They are set to collect $100M a year just from licensing their new adaptor for the iphone5.

Guest Andys@coffs
You could tie your wifi apadtor for your keys with the wifi LED lights with an app to change the colour of the LED closest to your key... the mind boggles how you can find new ways to fleece people. Apple have been doing it for years... They are set to collect $100M a year just from licensing their new adaptor for the iphone5.

Let alone the fact that suddenly a heaps of peripherals you may already have such as a car charger, or an extended length Apple 30 pin to USB connector cable or a 240v wall charger are suddenly redundant by design and will require you to buy all these again.

If you thought primary Apple devices where expensive when compared to the PC market etc wait until you have tyo buy genuine accessories to understand what rip off really means...

Of course I can see it all ready a future update of itunes will suddenly, without forward dislosure, drop support for the older style 30pin connector which will of course make your device, but for the suppport of go it alone 3rd party apps, useless. The new connector instead of being an inch long is less than a cm...Im sure you like me will be glad to do away with that pesky extra 1.5cms......

Guest Andys@coffs
Dehydrated water must be very thick, like syrup and a strong taste.spacer.png

Actually I reckon most would have a fluoride tablet, some chlorine and a bunch of naturally occuring substances like cow sh!t or dead kangaroos particles for the chlorine to work on....

• 4 years later...

Most pure water is done by osmosis. I can't see why distilled water is bad for you. Unless it picks up something from the still, It's pure water and nothing else. Distilled wood alcohol will send you blind. (methanol) Racing fuel.. Distilled yeast fermented. fruit , rice and potato (ethanol) makes money for you from getting people drunk. Nev

I was once told that you may never get rich working for yourself but you will certainly not get rich working for someone else.

I have worked for myself for 23 years.

A couple of points if I may indulge.

If you are going to work for yourself then work at something you love doing.

I go to work everyday and do something I love.

I have worked out how to get people to pay me to do that.

How lucky am I?

Do not go into business thinking it is a 9-5 job. It is not

It is an Ar$e Breaking, Mind Numbing slog 25 hours a day Monday to Sunday.

Have a plan, know your value and never ever sell yourself short.

You will not buy customers or loyalty by simply being the cheapest, you need to be the best and have the confidence to market yourself at that level.

Most small businesses fail in the first 3 years.

I believe that is because most startups simply do not know how to calculate their costs.

If you do not know what your product is costing you then how the hell can you price it right.

If you are serious about going into business then find a mentor.

A quality mentor is invaluable.

In my experience Mentoring beginners has always proved to be as valuable to me as it has been to those that I have mentored.

We should all try to give back to our industries. Many are afraid to mentor people but I believe that shows a lack of confidence.

The ultimate compliment to me would be if one of the youngsters that I have helped into my industry were one day in a position to buy me out.

Oh and this line "you may never get rich working for yourself" is still so true, but if you do it right, you may be able to surround yourself with nice things.

Actually producing making, fixing, inventing something with your own hands and abilities has a particular satisfaction. Many NEVER really do this. Another quite thrilling thing is to grow living things and manage that working WITH NATURE not fighting it. all the way.

I love instructing /teaching but you are static, the students pass through and go somewhere but you are still THERE sort of stuck but it's satisfying none the less.

I wish I'd done more music and art. I did those things when I was young but mechanical things crowded them out. I was hooked on machines some of which are art forms. Making money has never been one of my strong points. I think it can ruin people's nature if it becomes too important and an end in itself. You shouldn't measure the value of all things in dollars or you miss some of their real significance. I never envied Kerry Packer who I think was Australia's richest man. Health is worth a fortune but a fortune won't buy it. Thanks for "YOUR" thoughts Goeff13. Makes one think. Nev

I never worked for myself, but I always did work that I enjoyed. I was never rich, but also never poor, but most importantly I was always happy. The couple of times I did consider working for myself, I thought that doing what I enjoyed at the beck and call of others wouldn't be fun.

I am now retired and still not rich, but so much happier than those who seemed to be always chasing the dollar and now have to reduce their lifestyle.

• 2 weeks later...

I never worked for myself until after I "retired". I have the same story as Nev and Yenn. A wonderful job which I was reluctant to leave.

Since retiring ( 3 houses, 2 planes and 5 sheds), I sometimes tell people not to retire on account of how they couldn't stand the pace.

What has changed is my attitude to tax. When on a govt salary, I never minded the tax paid. But after going out and earning money in spite of the government, I now think of tax as money demanded with menaces.