Who's working for themselves

Mark11

There are few people as a percentage who can sucessfully make a buisness work and from what I observe few have formal qulifications. Dazza, I bet you write posts in your sleep.

I dont write posts in my sleep, but very ocasionally I write a post when I am at work like now and I realy should be doing something else. Like err work.I have to ease into it as I have to work 14 days straight 11 hours per day.lol

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to start a bussiness but only to stay home and I have worked for others and I have owned three planes now !

I reckon people who say "Good luck with your business" are really being condescending - so instead I'll say, " enjoy working for yourself!".

The only small business to consider starting are niche businesses or businesses that deal with people in crisis's.

The way to make money is to buy and sell stuff. A service based busines' income is limited by the ability of it's employees to do work. There are only so many hours in the day. On the other hand, you can sell (virtually) unlimited amounts of stuff and your income is only limited by how much stuff you can move. If you want to start up a business and your intent is just to make shiploads of money, then that's the way to go.

Sounds like you have it sorted...My annoyance is that I have been slogging it out for 21 years! There is no break in sight unless I leave Sydney, rent what I have here and live in a shed on my land in tas...

I could earn less working for someone or I could earn less working for myself... I'm hoping the latter!

You won't need as much though, the last year I worked I earned exactly four times what my wife and I took as drawings from the business the year after we left work, sum total 3/4 my salary and all my wifes salary worse off in dollar terms but we were able to bring our kids up out of town. Was it worth it?, you bet , every bit.

The way to make money is to buy and sell stuff. A service based busines' income is limited by the ability of it's employees to do work. There are only so many hours in the day. On the other hand, you can sell (virtually) unlimited amounts of stuff and your income is only limited by how much stuff you can move. If you want to start up a business and your intent is just to make shiploads of money, then that's the way to go.

Funny that - those couple of friends who seem to be doing ok are import /export trade!

There is a lot of good in being in business for yourself. But there is just as much bad in it, just like the pros and cons of working for wages. One thing is for sure though - on wages, you can pretty much see where you are, where you are going, and where you will end up. Business offers so much more opportunities, as well as so many more costs. But I've found that a lot more of whether you can be happy in either situation is down to your attitude in general.

Guest SAJabiruflyer

I've worked for myself for 11 years now. There has been good and bad times. There have been times where I fearfully answered the phone, scared it was someone looking for a late payment for whatever. I was working around 100 hours / week for many years, now I have taken an income cut by hiring 3 staff to assist, but it's given me better quality of life. I work about 60 hours a week now only. Would I change anything? Not really, it's been a great ride, and because I started my business from nothing, and didnt name it after myself, then I might actually have something to sell one day :)

We should start a business hiring out gay guys to wives. They could all sit around bitching about their respective husbands. I see a dollar to be made here!

http://www.collegehumor.com/e/6846855

The video is funny and rather accurate!

If our wives don't already have a gay man friend (I think she does) that business idea might have legs....

After all, everyone's got a PT nowdays!

The worst thing when self employed was chasing money.I was lucky, I only had a bad debt of a few hundred dollars. A lot of pool companies went broke up here.I have two relatives who are both owed over $100 000 each, both in the swimming pool industry one a builder & the other a supplier. They will never get it back.

The worst thing when self employed was chasing money.I was lucky, I only had a bad debt of a few hundred dollars. A lot of pool companies went broke up here.I have two relatives who are both owed over $100 000 each, both in the swimming pool industry one a builder & the other a supplier. They will never get it back.

Yikes!!

I'm not planning on financing anything - anything I supply will need to be fully paid... Only risk is my time.

Guest gregrobertson1

I was offered the Skyranger/Nynja (Best Off Aircraft) agency 2 years ago which meant setting up my own company. It was a little daunting as I had not done anything like that before. I have enjoyed every minute of it although it has to be said that I will never be rolling in it, there just is not a lot of money in it. There is however great satisfaction watching and helping people achieve their dream of building and flying their own aircraft. Over the past two years I have plowed the small profit back into the business so I could keep some stock on hand. As of next month I will have a Nynja kit in stock to reduce the delivery time.

If I was relying on the business to put food on the table I would starve but as a side line it is very satisfying.

Greg.

greg said:If I was relying on the business to put food on the table I would starve but as a side line it is very satisfying.

Greg.

Sideline business are great-I alwys have something going. Some backyard business do take off bigtime. Didn't Bill Gates start off at home?

I was offered the Skyranger/Nynja (Best Off Aircraft) agency 2 years ago which meant setting up my own company. It was a little daunting as I had not done anything like that before. I have enjoyed every minute of it although it has to be said that I will never be rolling in it, there just is not a lot of money in it. There is however great satisfaction watching and helping people achieve their dream of building and flying their own aircraft. Over the past two years I have plowed the small profit back into the business so I could keep some stock on hand. As of next month I will have a Nynja kit in stock to reduce the delivery time.

If I was relying on the business to put food on the table I would starve but as a side line it is very satisfying.

Greg.

Greg,

I'm glad you had the guts and opportunity!

I've had a crack before - didn't lose money, but didn't make any either. First job was $135k with $60k first payment.... Good ol $2 company!!

However, many of our friends have their own businesses and are all rolling in it!

So, it seems university has failed me!

I'm seriously trying to start my own business - but can't quite figure out which of my ideas I will try...

Mark, it looks as if Sapphire has suggested a business plan for you below:

... A lot of small speculative mining companies work that way awarding big salaries to "management" but the value of company is a big minus figure. They get the cash from stock market rip offs, and there are many schemes.

Mark, it looks as if Sapphire has suggested a business plan for you below:

Get yourself a miners hat and form a $2 company. Enlist on the stock exchange where the value of each share would be about 2 cents. Between you and a trustworthy friend buy and sell shares to each other giving the image on the exchange that investors are clammering to buy into your company. Put out false announcements that a big strike is about to be made. Organize regular capital raisings promising big future returns. By now the value of the stock has gone up to maybe 10 cent. Now is the time to sell the shares you bought before at 2 cents. Let the dust settle and do the whole thing over again conning new "investors".