European Union "Divorce" case coming soon,. . .

Phil Perry

hey phil apply for a eu grant for your next holiday spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png:poking:neil

If I trolled thru the EU regs, and gave thim the thumbs up mate,. . .I might get a grant,. . .perhaps we could call it. . .er,. . . 'Investigating where CASA went wrong'. .. or summat. . . .they have unlimited funds for almost everything else, so I may give it a try. . .I'll see if I can get the BBC interested in doing a documentary on our Colonial friends, and how they manage in a land full of venomous spiders, politicians, bush fires and floods. . .?. . . gotta be worth a go eh ? ?

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all you 'climate Greenies' . . .you will be pleased to know that Wind power in the UK now provides 1.4% of our requirements.. .. with more turbine farms planned for 2017, this should incrrease our general total of power load availability. . . .looking forward to that.

If you refresh this page regularly, it will show the current state of our grid useage. Look at the French Interconnector, the small dial to the right side of the dashboard. This is the two-way interconnector where we share power with the Froggies to balance the demand. . . .we had an amber warning last week, that means we were very close to power cuts in various areas of the UK since most of our filthy gas and coal fired power stations were de commissioned. . . .

Tonight is going to be the coldest night of the year thus far. . . .we have an area of high pressure over us at the moment,, and wind power will be adversely affected due to the calm condidtions. . . forecast minus seven C average. . . .We had a four hour power cut in the London 'West End' a couple of nights ago, and loads of theatre shows and other events had to be cancelled. . . a sign of things to come. . . .wonderful electric power management we have here. . .Thanks Tony Bliar and Ed Milliband. .. why don't you stick your climate policies up your ar$e. . . . as they don't appear to be working that well in an industrialised society, especially in the largest Financial hub on the planet. . . gawd help everyone else. . . .

The site is not updated in real time, and is only a snapshot. . . .refresh for updates. . .Hover your mouse over each gauge to see what it is referring to. . . . .

http://www.gridwatch.templar.c...

We have interesting inter connectors here in Oz, too. I believe the one that goes to South Aus is privately owned, so I suspect it plays a noticeable part in their higher domestic power bills. Glad though, that we aren't controlled by the EU.

Our power grid gauges are kept secret. When I was in the industry I had access to them all for a while, but somebody must have noticed my interest and most of us plebs had access throttled back.

I know we've been through this before... but when it comes to religion, culture, or just about anything else in life, people are on a spectrum. In terms of refugees when it comes to religion/culture, in most cases they're fleeing persecution from other people much further along that spectrum than themselves, so the mere fact of them undertaking a long, expensive and life-threatening journey to get to a secular liberal democracy makes it unlikely that they'll be raving radicals.Just like with christians there'll be some muslims who rarely if ever go to mosque. There's some that will call themselves muslims because that was the way they were brought up, but they don't believe in god at all. My bet is that the more secular ones are the ones feeling the boot of oppression on their necks more than most.

I agree that all schools, including islamic ones, and christian ones for that matter, should have an eye kept on them. If they start teaching hatred and violence then the government has given themselves enough laws to deal with the matter (including the much-reviled 18C which was designed for this purpose). But I don't agree that there should be no islamic schools, unless of course you want to shut down all religion-based private education? By the way I don't think any imam in Australia could get away with teaching that stoning adulterers is in any way acceptable, and if they are then our police aren't doing their job.

Well, we don't give them anything that we don't already give the poorest in our own society. Maybe they just want to go somewhere where their children have a better future?

If you can give me figures (from reliable studies) that show that, overall, refugees have worse long-term outcomes than people born in Australia (in terms of employment, small business creation, crime rates etc), then I'll agree that we shouldn't let them in.

I'm not saying don't let any in, I'm just saying that we need to be rather discerning about who we do let in... some of the reported behaviour , in my opinion, warrants instant denial of a visa and immediate deportation. If you want to come here, do it the right way and respect our rules and processes.

On the topic of imams teaching violence, I have seen quite a few reported cases, but nothing ever comes of it while the left are busy telling us that it's our fault they want to kill us.

We really don't want me to get going about how I feel about any religious school, or our easily rorted welfare system.

I'm not saying don't let any in, I'm just saying that we need to be rather discerning about who we do let in... some of the reported behaviour , in my opinion, warrants instant denial of a visa and immediate deportation. If you want to come here, do it the right way and respect our rules and processes.On the topic of imams teaching violence, I have seen quite a few reported cases, but nothing ever comes of it while the left are busy telling us that it's our fault they want to kill us.

We really don't want me to get going about how I feel about any religious school, or our easily rorted welfare system.

I agree we need to be discerning. I just don't think there's that many asylum seekers that are, or will be, radicalised. Mind you after we leave them behind wire for a few years and treat them like criminals, it'd be understandable if they were a little upset. And there's a world of difference between most muslims and those who follow the hardcore wahabi type. Despite the huge number of muslims in India (166 million I think), they've had less foreign fighters go join ISIS than Australia has.

Of the imams that you've seen reported teaching violence, how many of them have not faced charges?

As I've said many times I'm not a spokesperson for the left, so I'm not going to tell you that it's our fault they want to kill us. I will say that historically the West has done some pretty bad sh!t to quite a few countries and cultures, but if that's a reason for killing then why aren't there more Aboriginal, Native American and Inuit people strapping on the vest? Not to mention the horrors committed by non-Western cultures to each other - Japan to China, Indonesia to Timor, Zulu to Shona for that matter.

To spare your temper I won't mention religious schools or the welfare system. Not that I mind a robust discussion, you present reasoned arguments and look at facts, unlike some others I could mention...

There is one positive about muslim immigrants. I havn't had to listen to endles Christmas Carols for the last couple of years. They used to start early November on the ABC. This year so far none.

It may be a positive, but really it is negative, why should we change our ways so that immigrants are not upset.

Years ago the Italian and other migrants copped a lot of abuse about them being wogs, wops,or Ities, but most of them treated it as a duck treats water and I think Australia is a much better place for having them here.

And yes I would not have taxpayer money go to any religious school. I say this after helping start an Anglican school, because the local state school was actually being run by the thugs among the students.

The teachers were deprived of any power to control them, and the principal, ( who could have suspended the thugs but didn't) told the teachers to make their lessons more enthralling so the "difficult" students would sit quietly enthralled.

Why an Anglican school? Because only such a group could actually start a new school. Maybe a billionaire could have too, but we didn't have one of those handy.

why should we change our ways so that immigrants are not upset.

We don't.

I hadn't noticed a decrease in christmas carols on the ABC, because I can't remember seeing them in previous years, but I bet every shopping centre in Australia is still pumping them out.

I agree we need to be discerning. I just don't think there's that many asylum seekers that are, or will be, radicalised. Mind you after we leave them behind wire for a few years and treat them like criminals, it'd be understandable if they were a little upset. And there's a world of difference between most muslims and those who follow the hardcore wahabi type. Despite the huge number of muslims in India (166 million I think), they've had less foreign fighters go join ISIS than Australia has.Of the imams that you've seen reported teaching violence, how many of them have not faced charges?

As I've said many times I'm not a spokesperson for the left, so I'm not going to tell you that it's our fault they want to kill us. I will say that historically the West has done some pretty bad sh!t to quite a few countries and cultures, but if that's a reason for killing then why aren't there more Aboriginal, Native American and Inuit people strapping on the vest? Not to mention the horrors committed by non-Western cultures to each other - Japan to China, Indonesia to Timor, Zulu to Shona for that matter.

To spare your temper I won't mention religious schools or the welfare system. Not that I mind a robust discussion, you present reasoned arguments and look at facts, unlike some others I could mention...

It doesn't take many radicals to do a lot of damage. I think that our relatively tight (compared to EU) borders may be helping a lot. One thing I have noticed in the media over the last few years, is that the left screech loudly how we had it coming, but our supposedly moderate muslim community is generally very quiet on the matter. I would be a lot less concerned if every time some radical blew someone up (or was caught planning to) in the name of islam, the "moderate muslim community leaders, , made the effort to denounce and condemn the act. It happens sometimes, but in a very small way.

In the same way that most of the media believed that Donny Trump was going to lose in a big way, I believe that most of our media don't how a clue about how dangerous a few of these radicals, or even the moderates can be.

The other guys you mention, don't wear suicide vests, I imagine, because they don't belong to a religion that teaches you should kill all the infidels where they stand. I really don't give a damn what atrocities were committed by the west in the past, it wont end well if we use it as an excuse not to stand up for our way of life. Poor border control didn't work for the aborigines, and it won't for us.

but our supposedly moderate muslim community is generally very quiet on the matter. I would be a lot less concerned if every time some radical blew someone up (or was caught planning to) in the name of islam, the "moderate muslim community leaders, , made the effort to denounce and condemn the act. It happens sometimes, but in a very small way.

I guess if I were to be putting myself in the mind of an Australian muslim (as far as you can assume anything about the way another person thinks) - I probably wouldn't be seeing these idiots as "islamic" terrorists but just terrorists. They're not like me, their understanding of islam is not the same as mine, I have nothing in common with these freaks and I don't know why they do what they do.

I feel the same way about a murderer. Any murderer. Black, white, islamic, christian, atheist, whatever. I don't claim any kind of kinship with white murderers. I don't jump up and down every time a secular white middle-class man kills his wife or kids or his boyfriend's lover, saying "we're not all like that!", and I don't think I should have to, just in case people start thinking all secular white middle-class men are dangerous.

Isn't it the same for the muslim community?

I guess if I were to be putting myself in the mind of an Australian muslim (as far as you can assume anything about the way another person thinks) - I probably wouldn't be seeing these idiots as "islamic" terrorists but just terrorists. They're not like me, their understanding of islam is not the same as mine, I have nothing in common with these freaks and I don't know why they do what they do.I feel the same way about a murderer. Any murderer. Black, white, islamic, christian, atheist, whatever. I don't claim any kind of kinship with white murderers. I don't jump up and down every time a secular white middle-class man kills his wife or kids or his boyfriend's lover, saying "we're not all like that!", and I don't think I should have to, just in case people start thinking all secular white middle-class men are dangerous.

Isn't it the same for the muslim community?

If someone is murdering in the name of your religion, claiming that it is written that this must be done, wouldn't that bother you enough to speak out?

Putting it differently, if some rec flying pilots were giving us all a bad name, wouldn't you speak up? BTW....the extreme left do think that all middle aged white men a re dangerous...spacer.png

Not having a religion, it's a bit hard to answer that. However I don't see catholics all protesting that they're not all child molesters, and I don't think they should have to.

With the rec flying example, yes, if you noticed someone doing something dangerous and/or breaking the rules, you should definitely speak up - to them, and possibly their instructor if applicable - but do you go running to the media?

I'm not saying don't let any in, I'm just saying that we need to be rather discerning about who we do let in... some of the reported behaviour , in my opinion, warrants instant denial of a visa and immediate deportation. If you want to come here, do it the right way and respect our rules and processes.On the topic of imams teaching violence, I have seen quite a few reported cases, but nothing ever comes of it while the left are busy telling us that it's our fault they want to kill us.

Well....working backwards on what you've said there:

The "easily rorted welfare system" is most commonly rorted by home-grown Australians. That it might be easily rorted is an internal Australian problem and nothing much to do with refugees so I don't really see why it comes into the debate.

Imams who teach violence should be sanctioned and in extreme cases I would not object to their deportation. However as much as the "left" are responsible for all the ills of the world, plus cancer, earthquakes, and obesity, I don't ever recall them commonly "telling us it's our fault" that an extremist wants to kill us.

The "right way" to seek refuge or asylum in Australia is, technically, to apply for it through the nearest Australian High Commission or Embassy. So what needs to be done in practical terms, is that when Islamic State thugs bash your door down in your remote little town in Northern Syria and tell you that they're going to drag you, your wife, and your four young children to the town square for summary execution because they heard you weren't praying enough, you say politely to them "excuse me Mr ISIS person, but did you not realise I have an application in with the Australian Embassy in Damascus? Could you at least give us the courtesy of waiting several months until we get notification on the status of our application before you behead us all?" Then the ISIS soldiers reply "Oh - we're terribly sorry! We were totally unaware of your application to flee to another country. Please accept our apologies. The beheading of you and your family will be postponed until you find out your status. Please do inform us in writing though, so we can ensure the message gets passed correctly to our executioners."

And you see, everyone is happy then. All the i's are dotted and the t's crossed. Everything is done the right way, because that's actually how it works in the real world isn't it?

I mean, that's exactly how it worked in the case of Zainullah Naseri. In August 2014 as a Hazaras (Afghan minority group) asylum seeker he was refused refugee status by the Abbott Government and deported back to Afghanistan on the grounds that it was quite safe for him to return. A few weeks later he was captured by the Taliban, tortured, and almost beaten to death, only escaping by the coincidence of fighting breaking out nearby distracting the Taliban before they killed him.

Afghan asylum seeker Tour Gul wasn't so lucky. He was denied refugee status and sent back in 2002. He was then shot in the head by the Taliban.

Mohammed Hussain wasn't so lucky either. He was sent back from Nauru detention centre in 2008. He was subsequently caught by the Taliban, thrown alive down a well in front of his own family, then they threw a grenade down the well which decapitated him in the explosion. Bet his kids wished he'd used the official channels, eh?

But enough of the heartwarming stories (there are plenty more - it's only a sample). The world just doesn't work in this idealistic way with civilians fleeing war zones and people have a choice between giving a crap, or not giving a crap. I choose the former. Though I don't profess to know an ideal solution, arbitrarily sending these types of asylum seekers back to their village in Afghanistan or Iraq or Syria is certainly doesn't fall into that category either.

Well....working backwards on what you've said there:

The "easily rorted welfare system" is most commonly rorted by home-grown Australians. That it might be easily rorted is an internal Australian problem and nothing much to do with refugees so I don't really see why it comes into the debate.

Imams who teach violence should be sanctioned and in extreme cases I would not object to their deportation. However as much as the "left" are responsible for all the ills of the world, plus cancer, earthquakes, and obesity, I don't ever recall them commonly "telling us it's our fault" that an extremist wants to kill us.

The "right way" to seek refuge or asylum in Australia is, technically, to apply for it through the nearest Australian High Commission or Embassy. So what needs to be done in practical terms, is that when Islamic State thugs bash your door down in your remote little town in Northern Syria and tell you that they're going to drag you, your wife, and your four young children to the town square for summary execution because they heard you weren't praying enough, you say politely to them "excuse me Mr ISIS person, but did you not realise I have an application in with the Australian Embassy in Damascus? Could you at least give us the courtesy of waiting several months until we get notification on the status of our application before you behead us all?" Then the ISIS soldiers reply "Oh - we're terribly sorry! We were totally unaware of your application to flee to another country. Please accept our apologies. The beheading of you and your family will be postponed until you find out your status. Please do inform us in writing though, so we can ensure the message gets passed correctly to our executioners."

And you see, everyone is happy then. All the i's are dotted and the t's crossed. Everything is done the right way, because that's actually how it works in the real world isn't it?

I mean, that's exactly how it worked in the case of Zainullah Naseri. In August 2014 as a Hazaras (Afghan minority group) asylum seeker he was refused refugee status by the Abbott Government and deported back to Afghanistan on the grounds that it was quite safe for him to return. A few weeks later he was captured by the Taliban, tortured, and almost beaten to death, only escaping by the coincidence of fighting breaking out nearby distracting the Taliban before they killed him.

Afghan asylum seeker Tour Gul wasn't so lucky. He was denied refugee status and sent back in 2002. He was then shot in the head by the Taliban.

Mohammed Hussain wasn't so lucky either. He was sent back from Nauru detention centre in 2008. He was subsequently caught by the Taliban, thrown alive down a well in front of his own family, then they threw a grenade down the well which decapitated him in the explosion. Bet his kids wished he'd used the official channels, eh?

But enough of the heartwarming stories (there are plenty more - it's only a sample). The world just doesn't work in this idealistic way with civilians fleeing war zones and people have a choice between giving a crap, or not giving a crap. I choose the former. Though I don't profess to know an ideal solution, arbitrarily sending these types of asylum seekers back to their village in Afghanistan or Iraq or Syria is certainly doesn't fall into that category either.

No, the fact that our system is easily rorted is not the fault of these people, however, they love to take the advantage, I was reading articles, just today about 15 of the 16 childcare rorters are Somalian or Sudanese. Lebanese are over represented in a lot of welfare payments. I don't like ANYONE rorting welfare. Full stop. 1. It makes it harder for those who need it. 2. We really can't afford more welfare 3. If you think we CAN afford more welfare, great YOU give it to a charity, but I'm not volunteering more cash.

I don't buy your argument about "the right way"...I'm not suggesting that they trot on down to the local embassy (and I think you muddy the argument by suggesting as such), just that they respect the process, when they get here, if they must come by boat. That means not destroying your ID, not rioting or using any other bullsh1t blackmail (like trying to self harm by swallowing shampoo...good one ABC).

A lot of them offered refuge in the US have told authorities, they don't WANT to go there. That tells me that conditions on Nauru aren't too bad. Is it so hard to comprehend that if they are trying to bypass the process, and bypassed several other options of escape, that their intentions are dodgy at best.

Are you honestly telling me that you have never read an article in an Australian newspaper blaming the west for the fact that Islamic extremists don't like us? They were every second day there for a while, especially after the Lindt Café episode.

As I have tried to make clear over and over....no problem with genuine refugees, and if they are a genuine refugee, I expect that they may be satisfied with a roof over your head, and knowing that they are safe, while they process their claim. If that's not good enough , then perhaps they aren't really refugees.

Not having a religion, it's a bit hard to answer that. However I don't see catholics all protesting that they're not all child molesters, and I don't think they should have to.With the rec flying example, yes, if you noticed someone doing something dangerous and/or breaking the rules, you should definitely speak up - to them, and possibly their instructor if applicable - but do you go running to the media?

I get what you're saying, but consider that there are quite a few catholics currently in court because they didn't speak up or stamp out abuse. We have celebrities, like racing drivers for example telling us how to drive responsibly. Islam is a pretty big thing, I'm fairly sure they could stump up some cash to reassure the community that the Koran doesn't really say they should kill us all if we won't convert, or at least they won't do that even if their holy book says so. Their silence says more than their words.

I get what you're saying, but consider that there are quite a few catholics currently in court because they didn't speak up or stamp out abuse. We have celebrities, like racing drivers for example telling us how to drive responsibly. Islam is a pretty big thing, I'm fairly sure they could stump up some cash to reassure the community that the Koran doesn't really say they should kill us all if we won't convert, or at least they won't do that even if their holy book says so. Their silence says more than their words.

Yes everyone, including Muslims should condemn terrorism.

'We refuse and reject any form of terrorist activities': Grand Mufti

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/brussels-attack-australian-muslims-condemn-islamic-state-terror/news-story/e4d853f9309c0a303590b396a7c95e8b

I could go on posting links but I am sure you get the point.

My friend Azedeh, who is Iranian but refers to herself as Persian (because she totally rejects islamism) is often called upon to condemn terrorism, which she most definitely does (she is and atheist) but she says that no matter how strongly she condemns it, it never seems to be enough.

I am wondering what percentage of muslims are terrorists or support terrorism as opposed to how many men are rapists or wife bashers. I wonder why more men don't speak out against domestic violence and rape? Why have you M61A1 not spoken out against domestic violence and rape (I know you would be against domestic violence and rape, but I am sure you understand the point I am trying to make)

Yes everyone, including Muslims should condemn terrorism.

'We refuse and reject any form of terrorist activities': Grand Mufti

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/brussels-attack-australian-muslims-condemn-islamic-state-terror/news-story/e4d853f9309c0a303590b396a7c95e8b

I could go on posting links but I am sure you get the point.

My friend Azedeh, who is Iranian but refers to herself as Persian (because she totally rejects islamism) is often called upon to condemn terrorism, which she most definitely does (she is and atheist) but she says that no matter how strongly she condemns it, it never seems to be enough.

I am wondering what percentage of muslims are terrorists or support terrorism as opposed to how many men are rapists or wife bashers. I wonder why more men don't speak out against domestic violence and rape? Why have you M61A1 not spoken out against domestic violence and rape (I know you would be against domestic violence and rape, but I am sure you understand the point I am trying to make)

Aaah, but I have and I do speak out against DV, and I can point in the direction of some very good stats. I can go on for hours about DV and the media misrepresentation that it's almost all male on female (it's actually close to 50/50). It's a sore point for me. Have a good read of some of Bettina Arndt's articles. That said, I am not a leader by any means and I congratulate any muslim leader that speaks out against violence committed in the name of their religion. I have seen a few ,but not many, and to be fair that may be the fault of the media,but considering that mainstream media with a few exceptions around here are very left leaning, you would think that if it happened, they would make front page news of it. Of those that I have seen, I have admired their courage to speak out, and taken some solace in their words.

I find it odd also that feminists have any tolerance for islam, as you would know, pretty much all Islamic countries have very poor record as far as women's rights go.

Aaah, but I have and I do speak out against DV,

I am sure you have btu I have not seen it, does that mean you haven't or does that mean it had not been reported?

I understand the thought process though, some atrocity occurs, we can't directly express our anger at the actual perpetrator so we look for a substitute to express ouir anger to, I do understand that and I can relate to that but it is not the answer.

I can go on for hours about DV and the media misrepresentation that it's almost all male on female (it's actually close to 50/50).

Could you back this up with links to reliable statistic perhaps fromthe Australian Institute of criminology or something.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.455.1753&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Australian Institute of criminology murder figures by gender 1989-1996(page 2) Husband and Wife, male murders female 143, female murders male 35 - separated husband and wife, male murders female 53 female murders male 5. etc. What proportion of sexual assaults are committed by females?

But this is not the point, my assertion is that the vast majority of muslims are not terrorists or terrorist sympathisers just as the majority of men are not rapists or rapist sympathizers. as a man I do not feel that I have any collective guilt just as the average muslim should not share collective guilt for terrorism.

I literally live across the road from a large and active mosque. As an atheist I think that all religions are batsh1t crazy, but I am not afraid of these people, I just am not! In terms of threats too my life I am more worried about cardiovascular disease or cancer or a car accident or crashing plane which I know as a rational person, is the most likely cause of me early demise.

The problem for the average muslim is that they are the meat in the sandwich, they are just as likely to be the victim of terrorism as any of us but also seem to have to share the collective guilt for the deeds of those who they fear just as much as we do.

Good point.

Why don't we have a thread drift thread so we can just wander from subject to subject without worrying about thread drift. I'd be up for it.

Conversations are organic things. Why are we worried about thread drift?

Besides - I don't think it has drifted that far. One of the major reasons for Brexit (which is what this thread is all about) is the rising anti-immigration feeling in western countries.

I am sure you have btu I have not seen it, does that mean you haven't or does that mean it had not been reported?

I understand the thought process though, some atrocity occurs, we can't directly express our anger at the actual perpetrator so we look for a substitute to express ouir anger to, I do understand that and I can relate to that but it is not the answer.

Could you back this up with links to reliable statistic perhaps fromthe Australian Institute of criminology or something.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.455.1753&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Australian Institute of criminology murder figures by gender 1989-1996(page 2) Husband and Wife, male murders female 143, female murders male 35 - separated husband and wife, male murders female 53 female murders male 5. etc. What proportion of sexual assaults are committed by females?

But this is not the point, my assertion is that the vast majority of muslims are not terrorists or terrorist sympathisers just as the majority of men are not rapists or rapist sympathizers. as a man I do not feel that I have any collective guilt just as the average muslim should not share collective guilt for terrorism.

I literally live across the road from a large and active mosque. As an atheist I think that all religions are batsh1t crazy, but I am not afraid of these people, I just am not! In terms of threats too my life I am more worried about cardiovascular disease or cancer or a car accident or crashing plane which I know as a rational person, is the most likely cause of me early demise.

The problem for the average muslim is that they are the meat in the sandwich, they are just as likely to be the victim of terrorism as any of us but also seem to have to share the collective guilt for the deeds of those who they fear just as much as we do.

For the DV articles, search Bettina Arndt, she quotes figures from many sources and will openly give the references.

As for the other, it's not about collective guilt, it's about openly distancing yourself from the people doing stuff in your name.