What I do outside aviation

huppypuppy

Well, folks - I think it's time to share what I do outside aviation..... let's start with my hobby, photography! I am an avid hobby photographer who loves photographing vintage and classic trucks!

This beautiful 1971 Oshkosh R-Model is one of my favourite trucks - it belongs to Kirby Maxwell of Kew on the mid-north coast of New South Wales:

spacer.pngOshkosh R-Model 42820H by Joe Hupp, on Flickr

As this is an aviation forum, you may know of Oshkosh trucks - they build some of the biggest fire trucks for airports!

This White Road Commander is a ex-Clutha Transport coal truck - fleet # 117, chassis number TE3220:

spacer.pngWhite Road Commander by Joe Hupp, on Flickr

On a side note with the White, I have been invited by the White's owner, who happens to be a mate of mine, to travel with him in that very truck on the next Haulin' The Hume Vintage Truck Road Run. Haulin' The Hume was started by another friend and his father back in 2011 as a fundraiser for ASPECT (Autism Spectrum Australia), a charity dear to my friend and his wife as their son has autism.....

That's a start - if you want to see more, feel free to ask!

Joe

Well, folks - I think it's time to share what I do outside aviation..... let's start with my hobby, photography! I am an avid hobby photographer who loves photographing vintage and classic trucks!

This beautiful 1971 Oshkosh R-Model is one of my favourite trucks - it belongs to Kirby Maxwell of Kew on the mid-north coast of New South Wales:

spacer.png

Oshkosh R-Model 42820H Joe

Great looking truck Joe, really has the look that's it's made to work hard, but being a much older Pom, have to admit it's not like the old Commer 2 stroke diesel.

At least this one's still working and is no doubt a credit to it's owner.

Dread to think of the number of kay's that it's pounded along the highways since it was built.

Don't expect a reply if you have a couple of weeks off mate, but if I see a bloke with a camera at a truck stop, i'll stop and say G'day.spacer.png

Joe if you like aeroplanes & trucks you need to plan to get to The Old Station Fly In & Heritage Show. As well as the fly in it has a vintage truck show & a vintage tractor pull. Sounds like you'd be in heaven.

It' held at Raglan Qld, just west of Gladstone & is usually the 4th weekend in May. Next year is the 25th anniversary of the fly in & should be a good one.

If you want to see trucks go to the Road Transport Hall of Fame in Alice Springs .

We were there earlier this year . The very first Kenworth built in Aus the very first road train and more I took around 200 photo's while there .

Bernie .

Another of my photographic loves is trucks, buses and coaches made by the Swedish company (or one of them), Scania..... here are a couple of pics!

This first one is of one of their coaches - this particular example is a K470EB 6x2*4. It was the first 6x2*4 (or rear-steer) sold in Australia.....

spacer.pngScania K470EB 6x2*4 TV5594 by Joe Hupp, on Flickr

This is the quickest tilt-tray tow truck in Dubbo - it's mounted on a 2003 R164G V8 580 8x4!

spacer.pngScania R164G 8x4 Tilt-Tray AUS666 by Joe Hupp, on Flickr

The Road Transport museum and hall of fame are a wonderful tribute to an industry built on Blood, Sweat and Gears.

The Hall of Fame itself pays tribute to some wonderful pioneers in road transport as does the museum to the equipment itself.

A credit to all of the volunteers that have made it possible.

Two other places that are a must see to all lovers of road transport are the memorial walls at Tarcutta and Gatton.

http://www.lightsonthehill.com.au/memorial/

http://www.tarcuttamemorial.com/

I have to many friends and mentors listed on both.

And of course the tribute by the master.

Saw an Oshkosh once with a broken Kenworth on it's back - you don't realise how big they are til you see that perspective.

Not wrong there - saw that Oshkosh supplying air to an old Mack Flintstone (R-600 with the steel butterfly bonnet) and the Mack looked pale in significance! Early Macks in Australia were fitted with an air-starter instead of an electric starter - the reason for the air-starter was the constant availability of sufficient air to build up enough pressure in the supply tank....

• 1 year later...

The smaller truck on the trailer behind the White was an older model White. Side valver with drum brakes. That's the period I worked on Trucks. I must have got so much asbestos dust down my lungs It's a miracle I'm still around. You couldn't see anything when you blew them clean with compressed air. The air was full of all the fibres from the worn linings. . Scammels Albions AEC's Mack side valvers, Ford and Chev Blitz wagons Commer Knockers. There was a big gathering of old trucks and cars at Clunes 12th of March. They have it every year about that time. Not far from Ballarat. Mark it on your calendar. Nev

• 1 month later...
Slims song Road Trains, maybe it was Road Trains Roll, came out in the mid 1960s. Must be his first trucking song.

Despite being an old Slim fan from way back, I had to google that one. There was ' Road Train Blues' recorded and released 1966. Also the song 'Road Trains' with the lyrics' Road Trains Roll' from a similar period of time.