VERY OFF TOPIC. . . Immigration in Europe. .

Phil Perry

Remember when the lads got back from Vietnam and the RSL refused to serve them?

No, I don't remember. Which RSL branch are you talking about? Tenterfield, Toowoomba?

The RSL also refused to serve aboriginals... don't let that mateship nonsense taint your view of history.

Mateship (in time of disaster, adversity or distress) is not nonsense. It is very real. History is straightforward on this: when Australia was first settled by Europeans, it was a harsh place. Survival often depended upon the help of others when a great need arose. From this Mateship was born. It sets Australia apart from other nations.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believing war time propaganda about how our values made us stronger is bad for your mental health.

Imagine being drafted and having daz and m61 telling you how cutting the guts out of every muslim is the only thing for it, every damn day.

My old man was a nasho and the old codgers at the RSL told him that fighting in maylasia wasn't a real war and that because he was drafted he wasn't a real digger.

About 1970 a mate and I were refused entry to an RSL in country NSW because we had beards. Both had fathers who were members.

The RSL was established about halfway through World War I ...I think 1916. I wonder if the RSL would have refused entry to, say, recently voted-out Prime Ministers of the day? For instance Chris Watson (ended 1904):

[ATTACH]47770._xfImport[/ATTACH]

...or Alfred Deakin (1910):

[ATTACH]47771._xfImport[/ATTACH]

or, for that matter, Joseph Cook (1914):

[ATTACH]47772._xfImport[/ATTACH]

A revered institution such as the RSL would not reject someone with (manly) facial hair unless they suspected other reasons why you may not have been "of good character". Why would they change their stance on beards since the 1920s when this was still de rigueur for men? Surely there must be better explanation?

389399337_ChrisWatsonPM.thumb.jpg.0959bf578e31680558996bbd20dd3b99.jpg

142318753_AlfredDeakinPM.thumb.jpg.d0b404320b41bc4313237d4d04b3c354.jpg

486830140_JosephCookPM.thumb.jpg.55547cbca1e890ef5ffa32a8207f35db.jpg

In the 70s beards and long hair were often worn by hippies and anti Vietnam war protestors. They were not popular with the establishment.

So, on the one hand people are saying that the RSL did not like:

(A) Vietnam Veterans.

... and now you are suggesting that the RSL did not like:

(B) those who opposed the war in Vietnam (i.e those who did not like group A)?

Something doesn't quite add up, so it seems, but I am sure someone can shed some light onto this.

I think the RSL did not like:

Chokos (conscripts from WW2)

Definitely not ex Military Police of any era

Vietnam vets

Vietnam protestors (including all university students)

Hippies (long hair and beards)

Pacifists from any era (especially conshies)

Women (except in the Ladies Lounge)

Anyone under about 30 years old.

I'm sure that list is incomplete.

99.9% of mass shooters in the US are god fearing christians, its the one thing they do really really well.

Well, F-T, that factoid of yours sounds like pure speculation. Where are the proper facts to support your assertion? Is this yet another F-T-ism?

As I recall, the last* massacre was carried out by someone who hated Christians and singled them out for bullets.

*...or was that the second last one? ...there are so many.

More peace being spread every day, this time from Syed Farook and his jihadi mujahs in San Bernardino, California.

Probably because of global warming.

They've got a way to go to match the christian "Lord's Resistance Army" in Sudan. Bloody christians, they're all the same, raping, killing and turning children into soldiers. Should be outlawed. I'll get Cory Bernardi right on it.