VERY OFF TOPIC. . . Immigration in Europe. .

Phil Perry

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's not my culture but making a female child dress like that, let alone the boys don't have to, just disgusts me to the bone. That is not "choice", I don't care what plate it's served on.

And it is culture, not religion.

All the Koran requires is Modesty, not Covered with a Bedsheet.

I've read Bex's comment twice Kiwi. . . .I can't see mention of the "R" word,. . .or were you referring to a different post. . .?

Ah well,. . . . maybe there are cultural differences in interpretation of other things too ? ? ? I've been to a few countries where their ( Apparent) "Interpretation" of a POH, or flight regs and sometimes physics,. . . differ quite markedly from those I understand. . . . cultural interpretation is widespread perhaps. . . . .

And it is culture, not religion. All the Koran requires is Modesty, not Covered with a Bedsheet.

I think that this disparity between the written condensation a religion's founder (Old Testament, New Testament, Koran, Book of Mormon etc) and cultural practices is the main cause of the problem we face in integrating several cultures.

I believe that the philosophy of all religions in present-day civilised societies is ultimately to live in peace with one's neighbours. It is the hang-over of tribal custom from uncivilised times that causes the friction between and within religions.

OME

I think that this disparity between the written condensation a religion's founder (Old Testament, New Testament, Koran, Book of Mormon etc) and cultural practices is the main cause of the problem we face in integrating several cultures.

I believe that the philosophy of all religions in present-day civilised societies is ultimately to live in peace with one's neighbours. It is the hang-over of tribal custom from uncivilised times that causes the friction between and within religions.

OME

I truly believe that we Could all get on together, whatever culture, religion or creed,. . .BUT it's no use certain Governments attempting to force this change in a short space of time,. . . . human nature says that this just can't work,. . .what the heck happened to patience. . . .and not messing about with gradual evolution of cultures FCS ? Just what are they trying to achieve. . .? and who the hell are "THEY" anyway. . .? ? ? ? ?

I've had this all of my life mate,. . .half Catholic,. . .Half C of E. . . . .and the bloody arguments over Christmas dinner between the two halves of the family,. . .after copious quantities of mince pies and sherry had been imbibed had to be seen / heard to be believed . . . I remained out of it, went and hid. . . head under the bedcovers listening to Radio Luxembourg on me tranny. . . .

Oh? Made in Thailand I presume? :P

Surprisingly no Kiwi,. . . .In fact I'm not sure if the great explorers had discovered Thailand back then. . .! No, I built that one myself, from a kit. . .with the help of my Uncle Ernie ( electrician ) who taught me how to solder properly. These kits were made here in the UK, when we still had that kind of tech.

And in answer to your query Marty,. . .It wasn't a euphemism ( ! ) Lux was one of the first stations playing "Pop" in 1959 / 60 before the pirate radio ships. Jimmy Savile was one of the early DJs there. . . . they used to play 60 seconds of the hits, perhaps to get around the copyright laws somehow by not playing the whole track ? I dunno.

I Did have to dangle a length of wire out of the first floor bedroom window to get any kind of useable signal though.

From Sickipedia...."We never had a TV in the family when I was younger," said my granddad.

"Well, you have now gramps," I said as I adjusted my dress.

spacer.png

That took me a moment!

Jimmy Savile

I did have to dangle a length of wire out of the first floor bedroom window

I'm sure you did to pick up Jimmy Savile.

Danish government approves plan to seize refugees valuables to cover asylum costs.

This is a start, although I suggest it would be preferable to manage this as it used to be done - very limited initial assistance with the expectation you would immediately commence learning the local language and be earning your own way quite soon. Welfare that is not time limited is not sustainable and is very bad for the recipients (as well as for taxpayers of course).

Next step - cancel their visa if they ever return to their homeland. Neither measure is an issue for genuine refugees.

Er

Surprisingly no Kiwi,. . . .In fact I'm not sure if the great explorers had discovered Thailand back then. . .! No, I built that one myself, from a kit. . .with the help of my Uncle Ernie ( electrician ) who taught me how to solder properly. These kits were made here in the UK, when we still had that kind of tech.

And in answer to your query Marty,. . .It wasn't a euphemism ( ! ) Lux was one of the first stations playing "Pop" in 1959 / 60 before the pirate radio ships. Jimmy Savile was one of the early DJs there. . . . they used to play 60 seconds of the hits, perhaps to get around the copyright laws somehow by not playing the whole track ? I dunno.

I Did have to dangle a length of wire out of the first floor bedroom window to get any kind of useable signal though.

Ernie Sigley was one of the very young DJs on Radio Luxemberg.

Er

Ernie Sigley was one of the very young DJs on Radio Luxemberg.

I don't actually remember hearing his name at the time, in fact I didn't know saville was one of the DJs pushing Decca until a few years later. But it was a good station for early popular music for us kids.