Boy's and Girl's Toys

pmccarthy

As an off topic thread, how about pics of some of our non-aviation toys? This is not intended as a brag list or to show how many $$$ you might have. I hope this is a good idea, I have just enjoyed a bottle of Barossa's best.

To show how this is not about $$$, the Ariel and Enfield I bought 40 years ago for less than $100 each, then I fixed them up and still have them despite a divorce settlement 25 years ago. The Yamaha is a 1971 classic, I bought one new for $650. The two Riley Elfs came and went a decade ago. The Chev tourer was a restoration project when I was a young bloke, long since sold. The Chev truck is my latest project, I spent today working on the wheels.

So come on - what do you have in the shed?

[ATTACH]47732._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]47733._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]47734._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]47735._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]47736._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]47737._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Bike4.thumb.JPG.7f7c0aaee61bf78906756315a364f4b8.JPG

DSCF2971.thumb.JPG.99927dde3693a467f23ac6cc42f99f1d.JPG

567858119_Elfsanddaisies.thumb.JPG.068698684432b59c0beb1b7d6166cb34.JPG

Enfield.thumb.JPG.13c0249bae0086ea45998bdae99c21b7.JPG

Holidays047.thumb.JPG.9feb8f8e3f85586ae5f011d9affbc41a.JPG

IMG_0125.thumb.JPG.2c9ea78d577be41f16dbff5c9d38e2e1.JPG

Nice photos, thanks.

I remember having an old Ariel, 500c single. I don't even remember the year model, but it had a ridgid rear end.

When I was in Indonesia in the mid 80's, there were a lot of 500cc single Enfields, more so in Sumatra. The most I ever saw were in a town in the northern half of Sumatra, can't remember the name of it. There were literally hundreds of them, every third house seemed to have one parked in the yard. The main local transport was the Enfields with a paying passenger in a sidecar, in the same fashion as rickshaws for hire. When we drove down the main street, there were at least a hundred parked the length of the street waiting for customers. There only seemed to be two models there, one ridgid rear end, the other sprung heel suspension, both 500cc thumpers. I've often wondered how many are left there these days.

Apologies for not having any photos of toys to post, all mine are aviation related.

Cheers, Willie.

I think they look good when they're aged. Fully restored vehicles seem like a dime a dozen, but a mechnically sound, aged looking truck stands out in the crowd.

I guess in the coastal regions, the rusty bare metal would have to have some lanolin or similar coating applied, but with an inland climate, they seem to just get that surface rust and stay that way.

Cheers, Willie.

At present I am going to restore the truck mechanically but leave it looking much tha same. The wood cabin frame has to be rebuilt with new wood but I will put the metal back on rusty. I think they call it patina.

Patina? My bikes and everything I own have that in shovel-fulls. Character, not boring perfection.

I bought a DT1-F new, the same year as your RT1. My son still has it. He got rid of HIS RT1 last week end. Has a Rotax engined ATK that he vintage races. Rare and nice.

The truck . Is it a 1931 Chev six? and the cream 4 door car,, 1926 four? 250 Royal Enfield SV...1936? Nev

I bought a DT1-F new, the same year as your RT1. My son still has it. He got rid of HIS RT1 last week end. Has a Rotax engined ATK that he vintage races. Rare and nice.The truck . Is it a 1931 Chev six? and the cream 4 door car,, 1926 four? 250 Royal Enfield SV...1936? Nev

The Chev truck is a 1932 six, good guess. The car is a 27 Chev four Capitol model. Enfield, yes a 1936 SV 250.

[ATTACH]47740._xfImport[/ATTACH]

As an off topic thread, how about pics of some of our non-aviation toys? This is not intended as a brag list or to show how many $$$ you might have. I hope this is a good idea, I have just enjoyed a bottle of Barossa's best.To show how this is not about $$$, the Ariel and Enfield I bought 40 years ago for less than $100 each, then I fixed them up and still have them despite a divorce settlement 25 years ago. The Yamaha is a 1971 classic, I bought one new for $650. The two Riley Elfs came and went a decade ago. The Chev tourer was a restoration project when I was a young bloke, long since sold. The Chev truck is my latest project, I spent today working on the wheels.

So come on - what do you have in the shed?

I've just enjoyed a bottle of boozers best....hope I don't get banned (Hic!) i'll find out no doubt if I do :-)

old-panther-piss-a-blend-of-shitty-whiskey.thumb.jpg.4c48fb5f570ccc2123dc82912fb4e439.jpg