Are we just a demon's dream?

Bruce Tuncks

That would have to be convincingly DEMON stated to me before I'd have a whiff of it Reality  is too "unreal" already. "Heavens above" only works if the world is flat and you can SEE that it isn't by watching an eclipse (OR images taken of it.)  Nev

• Informative 1

They say that no man is an island, but in reality we are. You can tell me what you think, but I can't know what you are thinking. Even if we were sitting together observing the same thing, I don't know, and you don't know precisely what the other is experiencing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Since we are being all phillysophistical,

My existence and all my experiences are in my own mind. As OME points out, others around me (assuming they are not a creation of my imagination, and actually exist) are only able to exist within their own mind, and may inagine what I might be experiencing in my mind. So in that context we are an island to ourself.

Language helps us a lot. But neither proves nor disproves the hypothesis

• Confused 1

Darn. There is a distinct possibility that there will be a eternal Facthunter bot, long after you have returned your stardust atoms to the universe.

I hadn't thought of that!

Edited by nomadpete
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

In 1200 or so, there was a heresy that said the world was just a demon's dream.

I wouldn't be surprised if it transpired that the Greeks discussed it too.

After all, aren't demons much the same as gods? Gods that don't like us? And the Greeks loved gods so much they had lots of them.

• Like 2

Greeks loved philosophy too so I'd be surprised if this theory hadn't been kicked around by them.

But my problem with it is, if reality is just a dream,  why am I talking shit with you lot instead of relaxing in a hot tub with a bevy of supermodels?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If your mind says you are living in a hot tub with a bevy of beauties (are they virginal?), then The Matrix shall provide it in due course. You can't build a homebuilt aeroplane at the same time as going all white and wrinkly in the hot tub!

Even in The Matrix you only got one fantasy at a time.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Because WE are more deep and meaningful than simply indulging in Pleasures of the flesh If you want a high Just go fly.   Nev

No. I really don't believe that we are really all that 'deep n meaningful'.

A cynical mate once said -

"I know the meaning of life. My purpose as a mammal living on this planet, is to carry my genes one generation, and pass them to my children."

I like to think there is more to it, but his observation is the only one that stands up to scrutiny.

Meanwhile, I intend to enjoy the journey.

Edited by nomadpete
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

THAT was very TIC. My last post. For me, WE are Here Because we are here. More by accident than design. Propagate your GENES ? Yes that seems to be essential for life to continue but what's SO SPECIAL about our Particular genes and anyhow the world is overpopulated  for the level of it's resources and is clearly Unsustainable even at It's present figure. ALL life should be considered a miracle because the Universe is a HOSTILE Place generally and life is fragile. and can only exist in a close band of suitable conditions which we are adapted to. Why are WE so complex? Well it took an unimaginably LONG time to become what we are. Certainly NOT the 6300 years some speak of.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, nomadpete said:

If your mind says you are living in a hot tub with a bevy of beauties (are they virginal?)

No, very experienced (Hey, this is my dream)

then The Matrix shall provide it in due course.

Hooray!

You can't build a homebuilt aeroplane at the same time

Well there's a motivation 

and wrinkly

a lot less wrinkles when the girls... No, that's too rude

4 hours ago, facthunter said:

Because WE are more deep and meaningful than simply indulging in Pleasures of the flesh

did I forget to mention they were all philosophy PhD's?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2