Isle of Man TT races,. . .3 motorcyclists dead . . .

Phil Perry

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bexy ..... many of the blokes that race at the IOM have their families with them and those that don't do this type of thing will NEVER understand what it is all about.

Long term racing bike club President (of a club I started) and racer (predominantly motocross, some circuit).

If someone offered me a go at IOM I couldn't see myself saying "no", at those times you seem to forget about everything and everybody you will affect coming home in a bodybag. Worst I ever had was 3 months with my forearm in plaster, didn't stop me, nor did the rib, AC joint, concussion, knee etc over the years, and I was still boxing with 3 young children, never ever considering I might die or get brain damaged. A serious eyeball bruise finally put an end to that realising I probably wasn't being the smartest Dad around.

Sometimes we do need others to protect us from ourselves.

So should be a fair chance of seeing the new motor by then?

You just keep fingering fish and don't be concern yourself with my things.

...If someone offered me a go at IOM I couldn't see myself saying "no", at those times you seem to forget about everything and everybody...

Its a bloody drug, Bex. I went back to it recently when far too old... I had enormous fun- until memories of past bingles helped me realise I had nothing more to prove to myself or anyone else.

Sometimes we do need others to protect us from ourselves...

Everything in moderation, especially moderation itself.

Mate of mine, Les Kenny, was killed racing at the IOM in '75 and I've been over there a number of times. He was racing the world championship and wanted to race the IOM. 

And as a matter of interest, the consequences of coming off at Bathurst at the Easter Road Races weren't much different when we raced up there in the 70's, with Armco everywhere and no runoff areas.

More power to those that have the guts and desire to do what they love doing, and racing motorcycles is one of those things.

Bexy ..... many of the blokes that race at the IOM have their families with them and those that don't do this type of thing will NEVER understand what it is all about.

Phil P. Not sure what year you are talking about but Bruce Anstey rides a CBR1000 Superbike for Pagett's Honda. It's not the speed on the straights that is impressive, it's Bruce's 132 mph average lap speed last year that shows what it is all about. They'll break 17 minutes soon and are nowhere near "maximum velocity" as you say. A road-going registered R1000RR will do 200 mph without any engine work & when just fitted with a chip and a pipe. That is why Michael Dunlop set fastest time in practice on his superstock R1000RR.

Hiya Capt. . . . . . Bruce used to ride for TAS ( a sponsor who owned a garage in Ireland ) and he rode a Suzuki at that time, which is what we were talking about in that part of the thread, which had been diverted slighty by Bexy. . . .I KNOW he rides for Paget now,. . . .but thanks for your comments,. . .glad someone is awake. . . . .

Mate of mine, Les Kenny, was killed racing at the IOM in '75 and I've been over there a number of times. He was racing the world championship and wanted to race the IOM. 

And as a matter of interest, the consequences of coming off at Bathurst at the Easter Road Races weren't much different when we raced up there in the 70's, with Armco everywhere and no runoff areas.

More power to those that have the guts and desire to do what they love doing, and racing motorcycles is one of those things.

Phil P. Not sure what year you are talking about but Bruce Anstey rides a CBR1000 Superbike for Pagett's Honda. It's not the speed on the straights that is impressive, it's Bruce's 132 mph average lap speed last year that shows what it is all about. They'll break 17 minutes soon and are nowhere near "maximum velocity" as you say. A road-going registered R1000RR will do 200 mph without any engine work & when just fitted with a chip and a pipe. That is why Michael Dunlop set fastest time in practice on his superstock R1000RR.

My mate Mr. Hislop, who had a successful series at the Island, and ended up moving to live there, .was killed in a crash in his own private helicopter. . .such a waste. . . . . .

Guest Captain1
Long term racing bike club President

Me too Bexy, but always Road Racing and 2-Day Enduros.

Sometimes we do need others to protect us from ourselves.

NEVER ............. I will never ever support the fun-police.

Guest Captain1
My mate Mr. Hislop, who had a successful series at the Island, and ended up moving to live there, .was killed in a crash in his own private helicopter. . .such a waste. . . . . .

Same with Colin McRae and Shirl. Perhaps the fun police should ban flying for fun and pleasure.

Not a waste if you go, doing what you want to do.

Same with Colin McRae and Shirl. Perhaps the fun police should ban flying for fun and pleasure. 

Not a waste if you go, doing what you want to do.

No Captain,. . .I meant what a waste of a bloody good motorcyclist, pi$$ing about with aeroplanes which have rotors. . . .THE DARK SIDE IT IS. . . . . . . BUT. . . .maybe he enjoyed doing that as well. . . .?. . .in which case then,. . .It's OK. . . .

Guest Captain1
No Captain,. . .I meant what a waste of a bloody good motorcyclist, pi$$ing about with aeroplanes which have rotors. . . .THE DARK SIDE IT IS. . . . . . .

Hope that's not an omen, Phil, as I'm up in a R44 today.

Hope that's not an omen, Phil, as I'm up in a R44 today.

OH HOW COULD YOU ( SOB. . . .)

I've got over a hundred hours in various rotorcraft, and never held a licence,. . .never felt ,. . .er,. . .safe ? B47,. . .Brantly B2B,. . . R-22 / R44. . . . . Oh, and a Huey, in Papua when I lived down that way in the seventies,. . .sort of,. . .LIKED the Huey. . . . but couldn't afford to fly a civvie one. . . . .too thirsty. Got to be honest,. . .the R44 with hydraulic controls is a bit on the smooth side,. . . . .but still not convinced that the bloody things are as safe as summat with proper wingies. . . .

Guest Captain1
Mind you,. . .that young woman,. . .whassername,. . .? Jenny summat,. . .seems to be doing very well on the TT circuit with a big, heavy, throbbing thing between her knees. . . .?

Jenny Tinmouth. Going well but really just one of the back-markers and not fair-dinkum competitive.

Jenny Tinmouth. Going well but really just one of the back-markers and not fair-dinkum competitive.

Flippin 'Eck mate,. . .give the girl a chance,. . .she's only just started ! ! ! ! I often wonder if these Ladies have the "Killer" spirit though,. . . . .we don't get many road rage reports about ladies here in the UK,. . . You MAY do in OZ,. . .as they are a tougher breed from what I remember. . . .I met a few girls in Australia who could bend steel with their bare words. . . .

Guest Captain1
Flippin 'Eck mate,. . .give the girl a chance,. . .she's only just started ! ! ! ! I often wonder if these Ladies have the "Killer" spirit though,. . . . .we don't get many road rage reports about ladies here in the UK,. . . You MAY do in OZ,. . .as they are a tougher breed from what I remember. . . .I met a few girls in Australia who could bend steel with their bare words. . . .

G'day Phil,

Jenny's been riding at IOM since 2009, so hardly just started .............. and she is "going well", as I said.

Last I saw she did a 119.945 mph average lap so that is certainly "going well", but some of the 1st time entry privateers were doing 116 mph laps in early practice this year.

Yep, Jenny T is going well.

Don't know about others saving us from ourselves, but a bit of self-moderation at times does no harm. I gave up motorbikes when my first child was born and plan to stay off them until they're all in their late teens. Not sure if recreational aircraft are statistically any safer, but given my building speed it probably won't be an issue.

Managed to get around there in 1976 on 'Mad Sunday' and averaged in the 80s on the second lap on a mildly tuned 250 shod with Dunlop TT100s. Just think what I could have done on my Suzuki Hayabusa! Mind you, they look to have opened a traffic cone factory on the island and they put them everywhere these days.

You know my wife?

G'day Phil, 

Jenny's been riding at IOM since 2009, so hardly just started .............. and she is "going well", as I said.

Last I saw she did a 119.945 mph average lap so that is certainly "going well", but some of the 1st time entry privateers were doing 116 mph laps in early practice this year.

Yep, Jenny T is going well.

Explains why I don't remember her then,. . .my last trip to the Island was in 2009, ( to attend a TT festival that is. . .). Got smashed up badly in a head on vehicle rta in Dec 09,. . .and have not ridden bikes since due to permanent shoulder socket damage. . . . Don't follow it as closely as I used to, must admit. . . thanks for the info though Sir. ( And good fortune with your whirlygig thingie. . .)

The Macau street is no where near as interesting as the IOM but as dangerous if not more so.

Loved the stories about the electric bikes that were so quiet that the birds (feathered flock) couldn't hear them coming and so didn't get out of the way. Wouldn't want to hit one of those big fat Brit sea gulls at 200 mph!

Once you're over 100 kmh, sudden stops against brick walls makes no difference as to if it was 200 or 300 kmh.

Yep...I road bikes....Loved going as fast as I could, for the condition....I always believed that if I came off, chance of survival was very slim.

Yeah, sure they do it by choice, bet their mum's don't share the same opinion ... and dads, sisters, brothers, children, wives, girlfriends, friends .

You`ve opened up a can of worms there...Makes for some interesting debate!!!

"Mums, dads, sisters, brothers, children, wives, girlfriends, friends," all are either, directly or indirectly, affected by what occurs! They all have legal rights and to my knowledge, at least in Australia!.. Anyone one of those people, can sue for damages and anyone of those people can sue on someone else`s behalf.

To my mind! The question is! Where does the responsibility and obligation of all those officially connected to the event, begin and end, and to whom do their obligations apply?

Frank.