Human Behaviour

willedoo

Us humans have some funny habits. I was watching a video of the standing ovation received by Ukrainian President Zelensky at the United Nations General Assembly. It went on for quite a while and started with most of the people in the room banging their hands together to make a loud sound to signify appreciation and respect for the person who had just spoken. This mass banging together of hands finally got to the point where the occasional hand banger decided it might be time to stop. But there's nobody to direct or control the hand banging, so no specific time for everyone to stop. As the sound indicates less and less hand bangers, remaining hand bangers start to realise it's coming to an end and they start to drop out as well. Eventually, it sort of just peters out and the last few hand bangers also decrease the hand banging force and noise, probably due to a lack of confidence in the sustainability of it all. Someone has to be the last hand banger. I wonder if they feel a bit self conscious about that or whether they are proud to be the one to have hand banged the most. I think Zelensky was just happy to get the clap.

• Like 2

When I was about 20, I went to a concert by Spanish flamenco guitarist Carlos Montoya in Melbourne. One piece prompted the crowd to enthusiastically clap in time which went on for a fair while before naturally dying away as he kept playing - except for one idiot (me) who doggedly kept clapping the whole way through. Why? I'm not sure but it was a great piece of music and despite becoming very self-conscious that I was on my own, I kept going. Both Carlos and I and certainly the rest of the audience were very grateful when the piece finally ended. I'm still astonished that nobody told me to stop being a nuisance and ruining the performance. I still cringe when I think about it.

Edited by rgmwa
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

I heard a very good female comedian on the radio years ago. Can't remember her name and the Gay BC doesn't broadcast her shows.

She had told a few jokes about useless men and started singing "Im'e a dickhead, yes I am" repeated over and over and got the audience to join in. Then she stopped and so did all of the audience except one. Embarrassing but very funny.

The big wave at a cricket match s a good example.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rgmwa said:

When I was about 20, I went to a concert by Spanish flamenco guitarist Carlos Montoya in Melbourne. One piece prompted the crowd to enthusiastically clap in time which went on for a fair while before naturally dying away as he kept playing - except for one idiot (me) who doggedly kept clapping the whole way through. Why? I'm not sure but it was a great piece of music and despite becoming very self-conscious that I was on my own, I kept going. Both Carlos and I and certainly the rest of the audience were very grateful when the piece finally ended. I'm still astonished that nobody told me to stop being a nuisance and ruining the performance. I still cringe when I think about it.

You've got good taste, rgmwa. I used to be a bit of a Carlos Montoya fan in the day.

• Like 1