Jobkeeper

Yenn

The failure of the government to have any safeguards in the Jobkeepre handout is being attacked in the press.

Now LNP seats are being told how much money Jobkeeper injected into their area. Doesn't that look as if the government is wanting to look good.

They are being quizzed about lack of control, but what I saw on TV was Josh Fryednberg saying that if the companies had benefited, by not actually losing money and jobkeeper was a windfall, then it was OK, there was no need to try to get it back. With a treasured like that, all we need is an ex Australian finance minister in the world bank telling us we should lift the GST.

Lift the GST to pay for the failures of Jobkeeper. It won;t affect the rich, and stuff the poor, who cares if all their money goes on essentials. The government doesn't feel it.

I call Morrison scumbag, but i must desist, it is degrading bags. Really he and his mates are more akin to what I pick up in the paddock to fertilize my garden, except that that stuff is useful.

• Agree 3
  • Winner 1

The aim of this current lot of Federals in Australia is to continue the transfer of Capital from the Poor to the already rich. It's happening all over the world. Why?? Because the rich have the money and power to make sure you benefit from the corruption. that helps THEM 

Work for the poor and you will never get largesse.. The USA catholics got sour on Pope Francis because He wanted to help the poor and look after the PLANET and didn't GO for the "God WANTS YOU to be RICH dogma.. USA worships MONEY THAT"S their GOD. and they will shoot anyone or lynch those who try to stop them..

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

We had (and still have) a similar scheme here called the Furlough Scheme. Basically, people who would have been laid off work were paid 80% of their net salary (without being taxed) as long as they were not working. This was meant to tie firms and people over where there would have been mass layoffs. There was a cap of something like £2000/month per person. The key is, if the person was found to be receiving furlough but working, both the person and the firm could be fined. There were rules, like they had to be employed for 3 months continuously beforehand, etc.

When it transpired that the profitability of large firms improved during the pandemic, the press reported it, and without the government intervening, a lot of the big corporates paid back all of the furlough, even though the furlough was paying only for those that would have been put out of work, and were not working for the duration. This means, the firms covered their pay cheque as well as those staff who remained working.  They were under no legal obligation to pay it back, but I think some of those that were quiick to the party saw an increase in customers while those that were laggards saw a loss of some.

• Informative 2

It's a real double standard.  If some poor sap gets $100 too much from Centrelink then they'll be all over them like a rash.  If you're a big business and get handed a few MILLION of taxpayer's money, but end up making a huge profit anyway, they don't give a damn.

Gerry Harvey pretends to be a good corporate citizen by handing back $6 mill, but he got an estimated $22 mill in jobseeker.  This is on top of a $462 million dollar profit for the second half of 2020.  Go Harvey Norman go.

• Winner 3

If you could get a look at what Harvey and Officeworks sold heaps of in the second half of 2020, I think that you will find that it was computers and associated hardware that people were buying so that they could work from home. Around that time you couldn't buy a laptop for love nor money. There may have been increased sales of office desks and chairs for the same reason. When you are a major supplier to a market, sales of little items soon mount up to bigger accumulated profits.