This bloke has a 1/6th scale Catalina for sale

onetrack

This is an odd one. A bloke on Gumtree, in NSW, is advertising a couple of hang gliders for sale - and sort of as an aside, he mentions he also has a "1/6th scale Catalina" for sale. I presume he's referring to a PBY.

Now, the funny part is, he merely sort of mentions this in passing, and doesn't even include a photo of it. So it's hard to say if it's a completed model, still in pieces, half-finished, or wrecked, or still in a box.

The second of his three photos shows some sort of half-completed fuselage frame hanging off the roof of his shed - but it doesn't look too much like a Catalina to me - and it doesn't look big enough to be a 1/6th scale Catalina.

The part that makes me curious is, a 1/6th scale model of a Catalina PBY would be huge. The bloke in the link below has a 1/8th scale model of a PBY, and it's got a nearly 4M wingspan. A 1/6th scale model must have about a 6M wingspan.

I'm almost tempted to message him and ask a heap of questions - but being so far away, I'm only going to look like a tyre kicker to him.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/vincentia/miscellaneous-goods/hang-gliders-and-aircraft/1227544334

https://badmac.org.au/catalina-pby-scale-model-rc-flying-boat.php

Edited by onetrack
  • Informative 1

If the shed is Trimdek or similar with 762 coverage then about 5.3m for the fuse, unless optical delusion.  Original is 19.5m so between 1/3 and 1/4 scale but you're right, definitely not 1/6.

Looks a bit like a Catalina shape though.

Be an interesting shed to visit, in the first pic looks like another couple of big models hanging up.

Edited by Marty_d
  • Agree 2