ScoMo sucks up to Rupert

old man emu

Scomo isn't trying to ban the internet.

If we move away from using online search engines, we might move to a search engine app (program) which resides on our individual computer. This was once inconceivable. But look at computing speed and on board memory on our devices. And the advances in AI. It won't be long before the Google's of the world may become oh so 'last century'.

• Like 2

This is also getting a lot of news time in the UK.. I have actually started reading the bill, and I have to say, legal drafting is a bit confusing so far. I am about 1/3 the way through (it is an excellent medication for insomnia) and so far it is a little bit worrying, but I am going to the meat of it, having past the definitions and applications sections. I can see a legal minefield in interpretation such as how it describes interaction.

I haven't read the gory details of this story, but it looks like Europe (specifically France) has got the jump on ScoMo: https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/21/tech/google-pays-french-publishers/index.html

Bing has already said it is ready to work with the new Aussie law.. so all is not lost...

It takes the threats to galvanise the corporations into acting more fairly.. I am with Marty on this one...

IMHO ScoMo may have the wrong motivation and the bill may be going too far (I honestly don't know yet), but it is for the right outcome. The issue of press ownership concentration is a totally different question.

And, by allowing Google and their ilk to move unfettered and effectively monopolise the digital media landscape, you are effectively allowing the same concentration issues as newprint and TV.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good grief! Rupert and Scotty from Marketing must have fallen out. This Weekend Australian article is highly critical of the Government and Scotty. The golden haired Liberal boy has fallen from grace perhaps. Too be fair, it's written by a long term contributing editor who I remember as being reasonably balanced. Is it possible that Rupert is losing editorial control over his rags? For a Murdoch publication, this story doesn't fit the narrative. They've even picked a bad looking file photo of Scotty looking silly, an honour they normally reserve for Labor politicians.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/inquirer/scott-morrison-deserved-slapdown-on-rape-claim-shame/news-story/2f3baa11d3f3e0abcdd46ea76a28cf8d

Edited by willedoo
  • Like 2