Science To Be Replaced By Anecdotes

coljones

http://www.theshovel.com.au/2014/10/30/science-to-be-replaced-by-anecdotes/

Australia’s scientific research programs will be cut back and replaced by a recent experience the guy down the shops had, it was revealed today.

A government spokesperson said it was a move to a more common-sense approach to research and development. “Roger, who I bumped into just the other day, told a pretty pertinent story about how he’d seen first hand just how powerful anecdotes can be,” the spokesperson said. “I think it would be unwise and, frankly, disrespectful, to dismiss his opinion out of hand”.

The spokesperson said the Coalition wanted to avoid the dangerous precedent set by previous Governments whereby science was left to professionals and experts. “Scientists have a right to an opinion too. But let’s not forget the various other equally valid views and opinions in the community”.

There is a distinctly ANTI SCIENCE attitude being pedalled, By the new group in power. It illustrates why it is not a good idea to have science free education so easily available. If you are going to have brain surgery, build a large bridge or skyscraper or a race car worked on, do you get the opinion of non expert and non science people and apply it there?. Surely to have the best knowledge available and appropriately applied to any task is the best process?

There is a distinctly ANTI SCIENCE attitude being pedalled, By the new group in power. It illustrates why it is not a good idea to have science free education so easily available. If you are going to have brain surgery, build a large bridge or skyscraper or a race car worked on, do you get the opinion of non expert and non science people and apply it there?. Surely to have the best knowledge available and appropriately applied to any task is the best process?

As a questioner on Q&A said last week (the brilliant episode with Brian Cox on the panel) - and I'm paraphrasing here, can't remember the exact wording "If 97% of engineers said a bridge would fall down if you built it a certain way, and 3% didn't, no-one would listen to 3%. So why do people still give climate change deniers equal coverage in the media, when 97% of climate scientists agree that it's real?"

Unfortunately Abbott & Co would be among those listening to the 3%, I'd wager.

• 5 years later...

Being anti-science has a poor track record. For example, you finish up having your U-boats sunk and you could have got an atom-bomb on Berlin.

I wish I could think of a way in which climate-change deniers could be made to put their money where their mouths are.

Doomsday merchants can be tested for true belief though... you offer to buy their property cheap, with the settlement date AFTER the doomsday event. Apparently some have actually accepted this deal this in the past.

I have had a bet out for some years now, in which I pay out for every day cooler than the long-term average and vice-versa, with a small correction to ensure that if there was zero change, the denier would win a bit.  This generous offer has been met with a dead silence.

When pressed for an answer, they say that "the climate always changes for reasons which have nothing to do with our activities", so they decline the bet... what a wimpish cop-out, says me.

Not a cop out at all. The world is warming at present. It goes through warming and cooling cycles. It always has. The sea is rising. It has been rising since the end of the last ice age. The rate of rise has not changed in the last 150 years. These are facts, easily checked. That is what science is about.

The dispute is about models, made on computers, that cannot be tested because they are predicting the future. To the extent we can check their predictions, over only the last twenty or thirty years, they have failed. 

The alarmist predictions are predicated on the more extreme results from the unreliable models.

Not a cop out at all. The world is warming at present. It goes through warming and cooling cycles. It always has. The sea is rising. It has been rising since the end of the last ice age. The rate of rise has not changed in the last 150 years. These are facts, easily checked. That is what science is about.

The dispute is about models, made on computers, that cannot be tested because they are predicting the future. To the extent we can check their predictions, over only the last twenty or thirty years, they have failed. 

The alarmist predictions are predicated on the more extreme results from the unreliable models.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sciencealert.com/decades-old-climate-models-did-make-accurate-predictions/amp

"When pressed for an answer, they say that "the climate always changes for reasons which have nothing to do with our activities", so they decline the bet... what a wimpish cop-out, says me. "

The world HAS been warming for many millions of years.!.

I would Not have survived in the cold of a few millennia ago, even in my childhood the local river would freeze over every winter.

solution is

MOVE.

like I did. Lovely HOT country, even take my coat off in the summer.

The old was two vest's, shirt,  jumper, &  long-johns undies, two pair socks,  coat AND overcoat. Forgot Scarfe ! & gloves.

spacesailor