Atheist knowledge

Gnarly Gnu

Bex, where's the secular knowledge in that post? Isn't that what this thread is all about? I mean, if you keep drifting off like this , we'll end up with thousands of off beat contributions....

Ahh, actually it was "Two Mules For Sister Sara".

The movie had some nice ass in it.

Hope he isn't running like the DEVIL. Walking on water must have it's problems. How do you get a grip on it when climbing those giant Atlantic waves?( I suppose you do it with small steps).

Getting back to the commandments. They are hardly inspiring. I heard the purchaser said OK, I'll take 10. when he found out they were free.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you and judge not, lest YE be judged.. He who is without sin cast the first stone , sounds OK to me for a start, but I guess you have to think about those, though. Nev.

I was gobsmacked that after more than 2,500 posts, somebody would trot out the 10 Commandments . . . again!

What I did find funny is that there isn't even agreement amongst the various abrahamic sects as to what the words actually are.

[ATTACH]47698._xfImport[/ATTACH]

And then there is the interpretation: ISIS whose every waking hour is driven by the "10 commandments" seem to think that a temple in which nobody has worshipped in millennia should be destroyed because it comes under the heading of being in breach of Commandment No. 2 (depending on your preferred numbering system).

While people cling to the 10 commandments like a drowning man clinging to a straw they probably have no knowledge of how they came into being or even their source in your preferred version of the Bible.

10C.thumb.JPG.b28068f27c9a1ab393caaedcd833015b.JPG

I was gobsmacked that after more than 2,500 posts, somebody would trot out the 10 Commandments . . . again!

What I did find funny is that there isn't even agreement amongst the various abrahamic sects as to what the words actually are.

[ATTACH=full]37546[/ATTACH]

And then there is the interpretation: ISIS whose every waking hour is driven by the "10 commandments" seem to think that a temple in which nobody has worshipped in millennia should be destroyed because it comes under the heading of being in breach of Commandment No. 2 (depending on your preferred numbering system).

While people cling to the 10 commandments like a drowning man clinging to a straw they probably have no knowledge of how they came into being or even their source in your preferred version of the Bible.

If you look deeper, you will some references to a total of 14 commandments.

Commandment, commandments, commandments......

I know that Wiki is subject to some degree of criticism, but it says..

"combining Moses's 611 commandments with the first two of the Ten Commandments which were the only ones heard directly from God, adds up to 613."

So maybe back in the sixth century BCE, they trialled the whole 613 but eventually gave up trying to get the punters to remember them all? And what's this about only the first two being the only ones heard directly from god? Who made up the other eight? Why didn't Moses get credit for devising all those hundreds of others?

My Sunday school teacher didn't mention any of this.