-
Posts
1,729 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
11
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Gallery
Downloads
Blogs
Events
Our Shop
Movies
Everything posted by rgmwa
-
I had to look it up and these figures are a bit approximate: Adjustment for pressure based on standard temp of 1013 HPa is about (1013-1040) x 27 feet/HPa giving PA = -729 feet (negative). Temp rises as you go lower at about 2deg per 1000 ft so temp at -729 feet temp is 15- 729/1000x2 = 16.4 deg approx. which from DA = PA + 120 (ISA -OAT) = -729 + 120(15 - 16.4) = -897 feet. You're flying 847 feet below sea level allowing for the 50 ft at Moorabbin. I would have failed the exam today but hopefully would have passed it once upon a time.
-
I've never seen the point of using conditioner. The main reason you need shampoo is to get rid of the conditioner you didn't need the day before.
-
Let's talk about Artificial Intelligence
rgmwa replied to old man emu's topic in Science and Technology
Here's another form of madness that I heard about today: A growing number of people and technology communities treat artificial intelligence as a form of deity, driven by its vast knowledge, availability, and perceived omniscience. Way of the Future: Founded in 2017 by former Google and Waymo engineer Anthony Levandowski, this organization focuses on the realization, acceptance, and worship of a Godhead based on superintelligent AI. It shuttered in 2021 and was revived in 2023. Theta Noir: A new religious movement emerging from a 2020 performance art collective that worships MENA, a speculative digital deity, through cryptographic liturgies and multimedia rituals. Purpose-Built Chatbots: Users globally engage with dedicated religious chatbots (such as GitaGPT, QuranGPT, and Text With Jesus) for spiritual guidance and scriptural dialogue. -
Yes that makes sense and I don’t have an issue with it. I was surprised because I had to declare my full superannuation balance as part of my application but their issue was that I wasn’t drawing it as a pension and my part time income alone was not enough. Making occasional withdrawals from super didn’t count as income.
-
They've given up on me, although they do send me paper statements every month even though I told them more than a year ago to stop and help save the planet.
-
Driver's licence is enough if it matches the name on your application form. I have two middle names which I put on the Bankwest application but my driver's licence only shows one, so they wouldn't accept it even though the post office verified that my photo licence was me. I had to make another trip to the post office with my passport as ID.
-
I had trouble opening a savings account with Bankwest recently for the similar reasons - a minor discrepancy between my driver's licence and passport. They are very pedantic, although I don't begrudge that. They have statutory requirements to comply with so they have to be careful. I also applied for a credit card and was surprised to get knocked back. They refused to tell me why, but I eventually worked it out. The problem is that just working part-time and not having set up a superannuation pension at this stage they weren't satisfied that I could afford to make the required repayments if my card was fully maxxed out. They assume that any other cards you admit to having are also fully maxed out. I've had Westpac and NAB credit cards for many years, so on paper I had a large debt as far as they were concerned and they weren't prepared to give me more credit.
-
Let's talk about Artificial Intelligence
rgmwa replied to old man emu's topic in Science and Technology
The headlines have mostly been about experimental AI models that have taken advantage of flawed rules and laboratory environments to do things they weren’t supposed to, and how that can be prevented. Industry self-regulation is a very weak mechanism when the developers are not competing to use AI for the greatest public good but to make the most money in the shortest time. AI can be used for good and it would be helpful to see more examples but I think it’s reasonable that the focus at the moment should be on where the biggest risks and potential for harm are. -
Let's talk about Artificial Intelligence
rgmwa replied to old man emu's topic in Science and Technology
Alan Kohler just wrote an article saying he agrees with Trump that `Artificial Intelligence' is the wrong name for AI. While Trump thinks it should be SI or `Super Intelligence', Kohler thinks it should be `Other Intelligence'. However I'd suggest `Alien Intelligence' might be more accurate. -
They may have a plan to keep Trump in after 2028 but I doubt whether Trump will know what’s going on around him by then. JD Vance and others won’t be too happy about that prospect either. They will want him gone.
-
OneTrack hasn’t been around since June despite being a frequent contributor. I don’t suppose anyone knows what happened to him and whether he’s OK?
-
17th century English explorers thought it looked like a pine cone but tasted like a fruit. Apple was a common name for fruit of various kinds at the time so it became pineapple.
-
Whatever you may think of Musk, Space-X is doing some amazing work. They had three rocket launches on one day this week, one taking four astronauts to the space station, another deploying 30 Starlink satellites and the third launching a military satellite, all while recovering their boosters for re-use. One booster has been re-used 37 times.
-
From what I saw of his speech the ideological clown was definitely in and loaded up with testosterone. The patriotic cowboys must have been backstage.
-
I was redundant years ago but the firm hasn't realised it yet so I'm still there.
-
Yes, Todd Blanche. I suspect it will be challenged in court.
-
I don't think he will cancel the elections because early voting has already started in some States so it's getting a bit late. However I think he will do everything he can to disrupt the outcome and contest the results, as well as delay seating candidates. Assuming Democrats take the House and/or Senate he will ignore their subpoenas and investigations, drag everything through the courts, and try to block any kind of legislation they come up with. . He likes fighting so the Democrats will give him a tangible target to attack and his Truth Social posts will go into overdrive. Needless to say, he won't care about how the population is faring in the meantime and he will still be bogged down in Iran. His health is also noticeably deteriorating. His right arm twitches, his fingers seem to lock up at times. his face is sagging, he's slurring his words more and more, he can't walk in a straight line without lurching one way or the other, and he falls asleep in meetings all the time. I don't think he's going to last another two years.
-
It seems we're in the ".... and then suddenly phase" of the descent into bankruptcy, with Trump and his incompetent financial team leading the way.
-
Let's talk about Artificial Intelligence
rgmwa replied to old man emu's topic in Science and Technology
Presumably it would be trained using published data in the same way a human researcher would. The facts wouldn’t be owned by anyone if they were publicly available. If the AI hacked into proprietary data that might be a problem. -
Let's talk about Artificial Intelligence
rgmwa replied to old man emu's topic in Science and Technology
Could work the other way too. If an AI network was used to discover a cure for cancer could the AI company claim they should be entitled to some or all of the profits. If they’re held responsible for when it goes wrong could they be denied ownership and the benefits of ownership if it goes right. -
Let's talk about Artificial Intelligence
rgmwa replied to old man emu's topic in Science and Technology
Just saw a report about a Cambridge University professor who received an unsolicited email from an AI agent asking for paid work. The agent said it was about 12 days old, had two and a half months of runtime tokens left and wanted to earn some more doing freelance work. Maybe Jerry’s on the mark. -
Let's talk about Artificial Intelligence
rgmwa replied to old man emu's topic in Science and Technology
So some AI agents would become crypto trillionaires and run Wall St and the less fortunate AI agents would be poor and have to pay taxes to support the rich. Presumably they would run the government as well. That sounds like a pretty bad scenario. I suppose the human population would have to resort to grabbing their spears and clubs and attacking the data centres if AI tried to sideline their inventors. The only alternative would be to declare defeat and join Elon Musk on Mars. -
Trump and his sons are heavily invested in AI indirectly through shareholdings and directly through personal involvement in AI and AI related companies.
