Computers

Hello all, I've just upgraded to Windows 10 for the first time. My history on PC's is Windows XP, 7, and now Windows 10 pro.

As a person who doesn't do change easily, I must admit I'm quite impressed with Windows 10; liking it from the start. Between Prof. Google and the Windows 10 facilities, it seems fairly easy to learn.

First job with any new system is always to get rid of those idiotic Windows sounds so you can concentrate, then it should be plain sailing from there. I really like the start menu where you can park icons for regularly used programmes. Moving from XP to Windows 7, I found 7 had about half a dozen better features than XP, and many worse. But this change up to 10 from Win 7 is very impressive. I thought Microsoft had lost the plot after XP, but they've redeemed themselves with this system in my opinion.

Mainstream support for Windows 10, like all previous versions of the OS, will end on October 13, 2020, over five years after it officially launches on July 29. The end of mainstream support means that Microsoft won't be adding any major new features or improvements to the OS after that date. However, security updates and bug fixes for Windows 10 will continue for an additional five years, again just like all previous versions of Windows have had, until the extended support period ends on October 14, 2025.

• 2 weeks later...

My computer died and it was using XP so I was dreading having to learn to use windows 10. It became a non event, so easy. Nothing like windows 8 which I came across a few years ago, absolutely terrible.

• 3 months later...

It's been a bit frustrating lately trying to view embedded video on this site and others. Youtube plays ok on their site, but embedded video on most sites just shows blank white space. The problem has only been with Firefox, not other browsers. Firefox and Flash were both up to date.

Googled my way to a Firefox support forum and found the answer. Firefox /settings /options /privacy & security /content blocking /select 'custom' /uncheck 'trackers' box. I guess a Firefox update might have checked it by default. Either way, it stops embedded video from displaying if checked.

Why do Microsoft stuff around with features that work perfectly well.

First there was Windows Photo Viewer. It loaded quickly, was easy to zoom photo size, has next image/previous image arrows to scroll through a folder, and included a slideshow function. The rubbish with Win10 takes a month of Sundays to load, gives a black, then white screen before showing the photo, can't scroll through a folder, and doesn't have a slideshow. Fortunately I still have the old one on my laptop, but not on the computer at the men's shed. It's not the default viewer on the laptop, so I have to select it manually. They also ruined MS Paint with that arty 3D rubbish, but I still have Paint, too.

Now they have stuffed up Snipping Tool, making it Snip and Sketch. What worries me is that next update they will remove the old apps.

Peter, I went through that trauma with the new picture viewer in Windows 10. It's terrible. The good news is that the old Windows Photo Viewer is still on Windows 10, it's just that they've hidden it and it doesn't appear in the right click menu by default. I can't remember the trick to get it back in the right click menu; I'd have to Google it.

Once it's in the right click menu, it's just a matter of right clicking each picture format, selecting 'open with', 'choose another app', check box 'always use this app to open xx files' (xx being .jpg etc.), then selecting Windows Photo Viewer. It's certainly a pleasure once all the file associations are made and clicking on any photo opens Windows Photo Viewer.

It looks like Windows Photo Viewer is available as an option if you've upgraded from an earlier system to Windows 10, and will appear in the right click menu. If it's a new, clean install of 10, then Windows Photo Viewer is there, but hidden. You then have to download a registry file and run it to add to the registry, then reboot.

How to restore the Windows Photo Viewer on Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News