Got robbed yesterday

Admin

The scum of the world paid my house a visit yesterday...the wife got home after picking Lachlan up from school and found the front door open. Inside all the draws and boxes had been upended and the place was a mess. Caitlin's laptop with all your Uni work on it was gone, the video camera with all the tapes of the kid's christmas videos gone, The biggest strange thing was that all Corrine's perfumes were gone. All her jewelry was gone including family heirlooms. Lachlan's MS Surface Studio was upended and if you have ever seen a Surface studio you can understand why they probably couldn't remove it...Lachlan wants to be a graphic designer and the Surface Studio is a massive multi tilt drawing screen computer but Corrine's old Samsung tablet that we use to Skype each other every night was gone.

The worst thing is that with all our renovations going on (the house changing every week) and that 95% of the time there is always someone home we are not insured and due to rooms being re-plastered and roof work we had to disconnect the alarm system for the time being.

Guess what I am doing this weekend while I am back in Melbourne, alarm system and buying a video system as well.

Even though our doors have massive pin locks that go up into the wall if someone wants to get in they will...with a crowbar:

[ATTACH]49708._xfImport[/ATTACH]

PART_1543899789895.jpeg

Mate - I feel for you... I hope the bar-stewards choke on their phlegm...

A mate of mine was in a similar situation.. Insurance didn't cover it and his wife's family hierloom jewellery was taken - worthless to most people but priceless to her.. so even if insurance did cover it, it would have never have been enough to replace...

He went to all the local (and a few known not so local) pawn shops and guess what - he recovered most of important stuff.. (We is in Redlands or some such place; very northern Brissie.. Reminds me - have to catch up with him).

Worse is the feeling of your own safe place being violated..

Th cops came around and dusted for prints so hopefully they will catch them but I have to try and get Caitlin a new Laptop urgently so she can keep going on her uni studies, she has uni all year round and has just started her next 2 subjects so has to start her note taking again and catch up...the funny thing is that if the bastards start her laptop they will see all papers and video lectures on Criminology and Criminal Justice spacer.png

You will have to be very caring of your wife. I know that the burglary comes as a kick in the guts to you, but it is worse for her. Her home has been violated. That's the closest thing she'll suffer to being raped - and I'm not joking. The effects of this violation will be hard for her to overcome and may take some months. Make sure that she talks about her feelings.

So sorry to hear that Ian. I know how it feels. We were robbed, over 50 years ago. I was not long out of high school. Dad and I were living in a company house next to the factory where he was a delivery driver. The family lived in the country, and we went home at weekends. One day, about this time of year, a young guy broke into the house and stole all the Christmas presents we had accumulated. Made a pretty grim Christmas.

On the news this evening they reported on a new app for your smartphone which allows you to monitor your home and control electrical appliances from anywhere in the world. Cameras, motion detectors, even control your robot vacuum cleaner. I know your alarms were turned off for renovations, but something like this would have been handy.

Sorry to hear that Ian; it must be a terrible feeling. The theft of the perfumes sounds more like opportunistic smash and grab druggies. They're more likely to ransack a property, as most of them don't know what they're in for.

Professional burglars normally stick to the quick easy valuable stuff with minimal complications. A lot of pros case properties in advance and know exactly what they are looking for. Garage sales are a good way for the thieves to have a bit of a look around. Then there's Google Earth sat view and street view to check things out, regarding close neighbours etc.. Up our way, they even go to real estate open house days to case potential booty. In rural hinterland areas, a for sale sign on your property is a good way to get robbed. If no one is at home, the thieves can drive in and look around. If anybody shows up asking what their business is they just say 'saw the for sale sign out the front and came in to have a look. How much have you got on the place?'.

At least with the pros, there's things we can do to minimise exposure, but with the smash and grab types, there's little we can do to stop that.

I hope they can catch them.

Cheers, Willie.