OME's Project

old man emu

Twelve months ago I bought a WLA Harley Davidson as a compromise with Old Ma Emu who didn't want me to build an airplane. Something about them not being safe - go figure. Anyway, late last year I thought I had an dud valve in the engine, so I pulled the heads off to have a look. Well, one thing lead to another, and I kept pulling things off until I was down to the bare frame and a pair of wheels.

Today I finally got the bike back together. What do you think of it?

OME

[ATTACH]47380._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]47379._xfImport[/ATTACH]

1258651828_FinishedRHS.thumb.jpg.91655f19a672e604cf194f52306fd840.jpg

1583855583_FinishedLHS.thumb.jpg.9648cffc21ad90465c117920499474bf.jpg

I did a RWC on a WLA at BJ's that the owner went AWOL for about 6 months so it became the parts pickup bike for a while.

Darn full of character and quite a quick bike relitive to it's age. The clutch took a bit to get used to as did the gearshift but very enjoyable.

What ended up being the problem ? Looks great

One of the screws that holds the inner chain guard to the crankcase unscrewed and did a whirling dirvish dance around the primary chain case until it got caught between the primary chain and the clutch sprocket and displaced the chain. Cost of new screw: $3.50. Cost of refurb: about $2000, but who's counting? I've still spent less than the market price for the bike.

OME

• 2 weeks later...
I finally got all the nuts, bolts and wires together late last night. Tonight I'll get it off the work platform and see if she'll start. After not having ridden it for six months, I'll have to learn to ride all over again.

OME

No Problem. . . . just download the old movie "Easy rider" ( ! )

Phil

I finally got all the nuts, bolts and wires together late last night. Tonight I'll get it off the work platform and see if she'll start. After not having ridden it for six months, I'll have to learn to ride all over again.

OME

They say its just like riding a bike!spacer.png

Looks fine OME. Give the exhaust valves a bit more clearance than the original settings. Most of my stuff is older. (with NO chrome). The harley oil from a dealer should work well in that motor. I am using it in some of mine and happy with it as most 50 weight oils are only for old smoker car engines and not specifically for air cooled engines. I work on this sort of stuff. Call in if you are down this way. Nev