Japanese Police finding little to do, with no mass immigration

Phil Perry

The Japanese police are having to find their officers something else to do, since there has been only One fatal shooting, this was reported in 2015, and zero terrorist offences to take care of. They do not allow Migrants to settle in the country, no matter where they are from. Mind you, it is quite a crowded place already. So I would doubt if this has anything to do with racism, more like protectionism for the local population, squeezed as they are into such a small space. Therefore I would disagree with the conclusion / title of this report on that basis alone. And yet the police are underworked. The Japanese must be a very well behaved people. . .

[ATTACH]48952._xfImport[/ATTACH]

292420810_Japan-lackofdiversity.thumb.PNG.5def57731d40874891623b60fe96a0a2.PNG

The Japanese are amazing people, Phil. They are so damned law abiding I bet they have fewer police per 100,000 citizens than any other country. Although they face a painful demographic problem that could be addressed by mass immigration, they choose to protect their unique culture.

Their culture seems unique in this respect OK. The ageing population demographic, combined with their tiny parcel of land means that large scale immigration would be a problem, even if it could be integrated; which, given their culture seems unlikely. A quandary indeed. Their politeness is also legendary.

Lots of predictions have been way off target. Populations in many western nations is now declining. But for immigration, so would ours. Urbanisation is stripping the countryside of people. Much farmland is now empty, except for critical times like planting and harvest. Robots might soon prevail, as humans prefer to live at the coast or in cities.

Broadly my point was that Australia cannot sustain endless population growth.

Especially considering creeping desertification of marginal farming land, failing aquifers (even the great artesian basin is in trouble), loss of prime agricultural land due to creeping unplanned urbanisation, and a distinct lack of suitable solar powered farm hand robots available to take the place of the traditional farming families who have moved to live in the cities.

Where do you expect the next (more numerous) generation to buy its food from once the urban sprawl has engulfed the fertile land, and how will they pay for it (and from what country) when our resources boom fizzles out?

Broadly my point was that Australia cannot sustain endless population growth.

Especially considering creeping desertification of marginal farming land, failing aquifers (even the great artesian basin is in trouble), loss of prime agricultural land due to creeping unplanned urbanisation, and a distinct lack of suitable solar powered farm hand robots available to take the place of the traditional farming families who have moved to live in the cities.

Where do you expect the next (more numerous) generation to buy its food from once the urban sprawl has engulfed the fertile land, and how will they pay for it (and from what country) when our resources boom fizzles out?

I agree, Pete. Dick Smith and lots of ecologists have been warning about this for yonks. They're right to the extent that this continent couldn't support a greater population at our present living standard and rate of resource use (actually, in sustainability terms Australia is already overpopulated). However, it could support perhaps several times the current population if we didn't mind living in povery- and losing most of our remaining wildlife and native vegetation.

Bangladesh, with 160 million people is quite similar to Queensland's Gulf Country, which has a few thousand.

The bottom line is the choice between maintaining what we have left, or buggering up the country to fit more people. At what point does our species stop wrecking natural systems to survive?

Blimey - I hope there is room in Aus for 4 more... Wife was mentioning possible move to Aus while the kids are still at school (they'll get beaten up until they lose their slightly toffey accents).

But I do hear the issues around resource usage and population. The productivity of the land is an important factor (by jeez, we waste a lot of irrgated water in open canals off the Murray, though). My little 12.75 acres, of which only about 9 if that is used for grazing can support 38 ewes and their offspring easily (in winter, have to augment their diet as grass loses its nutirents, but we grow and reap our own hay - so its only small augmentation of "cake". There aren't too many places in Aus that can support that concentration of sheep year round and I read that the UK - as wet as it is - produces much more wheat than Aus using a small fraction of the land Aus does.

If only we couls sink an acquaduct fro here to Aus - Aus' drought issues would be over...

Er looking at recent figures it's not the case, though I was given that snippet of info by the son of a wheat farmer when I worked at the Taronga Zoo (Coles Myer in their then head office) and finding historical age data for the UK is not easy - esp given they would have had to report it to the EC.

Maybe it is the result of the decline in farming in the UK... or I was told porkies or maybe it is straight yield. Tassie seems to be the highest state by far at around 4.5 tonnes/hectare whereas the UK averages 8 tonnes/hectare...

• 4 weeks later...
Blimey - I hope there is room in Aus for 4 more... Wife was mentioning possible move to Aus while the kids are still at school (they'll get beaten up until they lose their slightly toffey accents).

But I do hear the issues around resource usage and population. The productivity of the land is an important factor (by jeez, we waste a lot of irrgated water in open canals off the Murray, though). My little 12.75 acres, of which only about 9 if that is used for grazing can support 38 ewes and their offspring easily (in winter, have to augment their diet as grass loses its nutirents, but we grow and reap our own hay - so its only small augmentation of "cake". There aren't too many places in Aus that can support that concentration of sheep year round and I read that the UK - as wet as it is - produces much more wheat than Aus using a small fraction of the land Aus does.

If only we couls sink an acquaduct fro here to Aus - Aus' drought issues would be over...

Well, it's Downhill all the way to OZ, so your aqueduct wouldn't need expensive eclectic pumps then. . . darned good idea in my view mate. . .

Yeah - I must admit - in the south west UK, those evening twighlights at 10pm are quite enjoyable - when there is no cloud in between...

Seen any Meteors this week Jerry ?. . .I've seen loads. Me and my mad mates set up a tent on a place called Barr Beacon in the Midlands, a whopping 75 2 feet amsl. . .and there were other sad buggers with quite a few fancy telescopes stargazing there too. The main problem is light pollution though,. . Birmingham is just down the road a bit and the immense amount of light it produces reflects off the atmosphere making it difficult for the Astrologers to formulate their predictions. .

Unf, not.. Have been so busy lately trying to get myself made surplus to requirements, that I have spent most of my time in London which leaves the weekends fully focused on kids. Me ol' JAA expired and haven't had time to get an EASA replacement...

Hopefully 2 weeks and I'll have all the time in the world!

Unf, not.. Have been so busy lately trying to get myself made surplus to requirements, that I have spent most of my time in London which leaves the weekends fully focused on kids. Me ol' JAA expired and haven't had time to get an EASA replacement...

Hopefully 2 weeks and I'll have all the time in the world!

What then ? ? Qantas ?. . .or more Ewes to breed. . .? Sorry ti hear about your flying ticket,. . .I still have not revalidated mine. . .too many other things to do seem to keep on getting in the way. . .

I spoke to FCL at cancel all aviation a couple fo months back and asked them if I'd have any problems with a simple revalidation GST, or would I be required to pump up some more hours. . .they said that the GST would be sufficient. I might well downrate it to an NPPL / SEP rating though, as I doubt if I'll be doing much G.A. going forward. . . need a small lottery win to refurb my Microlight and flog / swap it for an 'Indoor' model with windows, doors and a heater . . . .I can't stand the cold as well as I used to when I wore a younger man's flying suit. . .

@Phil Perry - Bu££ah! I have just been "lazy".. have to email my examiner to get him to certify my passport, medical and SEP validation is not a fraud (lie he would know it isn't and like the Campaign Against Aviation doesn't have a record of my medical or reval), fill in a form with a gawd awful number of pages (although apparently for the European Anti Sivvy Aviation, only a few questions are required to be reported), pay the £78 tax (ahem, fee) to change my paperwork from the logo of on Euro farce to another and receive an apparently attractive new blue vinyl case and I am good to go..

If I let my reval lapse, I have to do the equiv of a BFR with an examiner and then send in another £185 on top of the £78 tax for them to say I am re-validated...

And they wonder why we want out of Europe!

The only reason why Australia was a food exporter was that we had such a small population. Not now.

Our soils are the worst in the world... 6 inches of topsoil and 400 mm of rain is good country in Australia... In Europe, they have a metre of topsoil and a metre of rain. And much of our soil has been cycled from sedimentary rock 5 times... no wonder we need imported fertilizer to make things grow.

Britain has always produced more food than Australia, they could actually have fed themselves during ww2 if they had done more horticulture. Mind you, the navy was having great fun thinking the population would starve without them... who would have had the heart to tell them otherwise?

But there sure is room for your lot Jerry. But please be careful how you proceed, the immigration lot here do the strangest irrational things. For example, they are importing tribespeople from Africa who need to learn basic civilization, but they stopped a mate of mine who had been working at the Alice Springs yank base ( Pine Gap) as a CIA Korean-language expert. He had the mayor of Alice Springs vouch for him, and he had a US pension coming in. He was going to be no burden to the taxpayer. He just liked Australia and his kid was settled well in school here so he wanted to stay.

To this day, I don't understand what their reasoning was.

Thanks @Bruce, but I fear the Aussie government have to let me in as I am born and bred there... and still have citizenship. The kids do, too. The partner has permanent residency, which isn't permanent it appears as once you are out of the country for a couple of years, you have to prove close links or something.. And that cost a bl@@dy bomb back in 1999 - something like £1k all in (including the medicals, notary fees, etc). Although could be a blessing in disguise if they keep 'er out! spacer.png Also, I suppose, I have provided some temporary relief to the population boom in Aus !?!

I do agree though - someone coming in clearly without being a burden should be allowed unless they are crims or something like that. But don't despair; it's like that here as well and I am sure many other places (apparently with a few hundred thousand to invest here in a business though, one is welcome).

I used to have a bit of land in the Mornington Peninsula and knew someone who had land in the Otway Ranges. I thought they were fertile until I picked up the 13 acres here. I have produced more compost in a season than the whole of the peninsula.. (well, that should read the property has produced more compost than the peninsula) The amount of work just to keep on top of the grass let alone hedges (they love their hedges here), blackberries is amazing. Can cut the grass on Sunday eve, return on Thursday eve from London and it is longer than when I last cut it.. Even this time of year, when things start slowing down, the ride on clogs up (because it's wet) and the slasher rips more than cuts and I have to do it all again next week!.

Anythere where some dust sits is fertile gound. Moss builds up in tiles and I noticed some greenery poking out from the far side of a skylight.. Got up on a ladder and a fern was growing nicely thank you.

Unf, the sheep don't grow as fast!

We have stream that runs under the house and into a pond. Over the summer the silt that built up is phenomenal. My job this weekend is to clear it in prep for the winter..

Anyone want to buy fresh, fertile compost and silt? Unf, Aus import laws ban sending it I suspect as it has too many foreign germs...

Yes, Marty. Too true.

But in your defence, you've never contributed any foreign compost. It's always been locally produced.

Keep up the good work.

And as a real positive slant, we collectively improve the RecFlying forum by keeping the trolls out of the flying forum.