Sarcastic Political images.

Phil Perry

Not sarcastic but interesting. . . ( YES,. . I DO read some weird stuff. . . .sorry. . .)

From "The Myth of the Andalusian Paradise" by Dario Fernandez-Morera.

The Greek historian Theophanes the Confessor (ad. 818) reports in his Chronographia that Caliph Al-Walid 1. . . (ad. 715) required that the Christian bureaucrats who served him, keep all written accounts “in Arabic rather than in Greek . . .except for some of the more complicated texts, as these exceeded the potential of the Arabic language.”

Arabic could not cope with the complexities of Greek writings and therefore philosophical thought. . . There were literally NO words for much of this in Arabic.

This suggests to me that when a learned Islamic scholar counters any argument with the phrase, I am Correct,. . . "Because it is written" . . .one has to question 'Written / recorded by Whom, exactly mate ? "

Just a spurious emission. . .ignore. . .

Here's another good one from Georgie boy. . just about sums up what's been going on for the last three decades or so. . .

[ATTACH]48899._xfImport[/ATTACH]

I reckon that his was meant to be some sort of warning,. . not a bloody instruction manual. . .

ORWELL.thumb.jpg.f4b5429448067644bacbbe6c00ee0425.jpg

The Interwebbythingummy is really quite simple. . .here is an easy overview by my mate El Cnutador. . . .

And to think that I was one of the pioneers of PACKET RADIO in the early 1980s. . .using TCP/IP for packet transmissions over Amateur Radio frequencies.. . .we built our own TNCs ( Terminal Node Controllers), and connected them to our VHF rigs and annoyed the feck out of anyone who was operating on 144.650, well,. . they shouldn't have really been using FM speech that low in the band anyhow so we ignored their bleatings. . .there were LOADS of other channels available after all . . .we, only needed the one. We formed Maxpak,. . the Midlands AX-25 Packet radio users group, and my number in the club was 2. . .( Number one was a really Clever bloke you see ) . . .My Spanish Mate El Cnutador, says this about his overview of the internet. . .for those of you who don't know what TCP/IP is all about. . .( ! )

Some embedded links in the following, for those of you who wish to learn more. . . .

If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,

And the bus is interrupted as a very last resort,

And the address of the memory makes your floppy disk abort,

Then the socket packet pocket has an error to report!

The rest can be found here. Below, we’ll go through how the internetz actually works, from switching on your computer to how to keep prying eyes out of your biznai with encryption and VPNs.

The internet is a series of tubes, as was famously remarked. More accurately it is a series of cables, buffers, timers and some really rather clever bits of engineering.

When stuff goes wrong on the internet you’ll see strange stuff like Timeout, Socket was Closed, Could not resolve host and so on. These are error messages that are bubbling up from the network and being reported in your browser. But how does the network work?

“The internet” is a shortening of TCP/IP which stands for Transport Control Protocol / Internet Protocol. It is part of the OSI seven layer networking stack , which is a way of turning the wires coming out of your computer into pictures of funny cats or rubber gimps on your screen, depending.

In days gone by you would have to have a modem in order to connect to the Internet, most people have broadband these days so I will write with this in mind. Even if you still have a modem, it still works the same, the main difference you’ll see is that a modem is not normally always on, as a broadband router normally is. Note that a modem only really provides one computer access to other computers; the box your ISP gives you is technically a modem/router so it is doing two jobs. The modem lets you talk to other computers outside your house, the router manages the network traffic so it gets to where it should go. I’ll just call this your router from here on.

Computers (or hosts as they are often called) don’t really talk in anything other than numbers. Strictly speaking, a computer can run several hosts at the same time but we don’t need to get into that here. There are lots of computers on the internet (and a lot of

too – headphones required for that link if you’re on a public or work machine) and they all need a way of uniquely identifying themselves. At each layer of the OSI stack there is a number that can be used to identify your internet connection, so as not to leak into other connections that may be happening at the same time.

This starts at the lowest level – the Network Interface Card, or NIC. These can be already installed inside your computer, or as USB dongles that you plug in. They can either be wired or wireless WiFi, which incidentally is not short for Wireless Fidelity, it is a trademarked term meaning IEEE 802.11x, where x is the subtype of the protocol. IEEE is the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers and they set a lot of standards which affect the way the internet works.

The important thing at this point is that your NIC will have a number stamped into it called a Media Access Control address or MAC address for short. Every network capable device will have one of these and they will all be unique in the world. There are some clever bits of software out there that will allow you to edit this as it is transmitted (the original value is still burnt on to your circuit board though and can’t be changed) – this is known as a spoofed MAC.

For our purpose, we don’t need to worry about the different flavours of WiFi, but here is a good writeup if you’re interested. As WiFi is basically a radio signal it can be interfered with, eavesdropped and blocked.

Right now, we’ve got a means to connect to our router either through a cable or through a radio signal.

Given that there may be more than one computer connected to the router, we can’t just start blasting data down the connection as we’ll block other people trying to download cat pictures. So access to the network connection is rationed out into data packets – a little chunk of data. Each machine can send a packet at a time, which allows everyone to get a bit of their cat picture transferred at a time. The network stack will put these pieces back together before it can show you the kitty / gimp.

It all sounds pretty good so far: we have a cable to connect to the router, and we’re chunking our data up so we can share the connection. But at the minute, our packets are nameless and the router doesn’t really know us beyond our MAC address. We need another number to talk to other computers. What we will need is an Internet Protocol (IP) address.

An IP address is a series of numbers called a dotted quad. An example would be 172.168.0.1 – there are 4 dots separating numbers from 0 to 255.

Now, you could just get a random number and bung it in a dotted quad format but that’s pretty haphazard. This is where Dynamic Host Control Protocol comes in. A DHCP server is on your network, being run by your router. When it comes alive, your network device will send out a message asking for an Internet Protocol (IP) address. The DHCP server will assign one for you, out of a pool of special IP addresses that are used only for local traffic on the network.

Typically your local router will give you one beginning 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x, or 192.168.x.x. All internet machines know about these address ranges and will respect them. Your DHCP server in your router will keep a list of which MAC it has doled an IP address out to, and some routers will allow you to get dibs on a particular IP address – this is called a static IP address. An IP address is dotted like that as each part of the address has significance – it comprises a network address plus the actual address number by the computer itself (the host address). You can read a bit more about it herehttp://whatismyipaddress.com/ipv4-parts but you don’t really need to know the nitty gritty.

In recent years, we’ve actually started to run out of IPv4 addresses – each machine on the internet must have a unique address (excepting the internal IP addresses above, which are only for use on your local network) or the network will complain that someone else is using your IP address. To this end, IPv6 was created which supports a shitload more addresses and enables the Internet of Things – there’s enough spare capacity for your fridge to have an IPv6 address. We’re still going through a transition stage on the wider internet to enable this. Even the internet is getting in on transitioning!

This is all well and good, but so far you’re only talking to your own router. However, the initial chat that your network device has had with your router has already been replicated by your router with your internet provider’s routers – this is how your router gets on to the internet. Your ISP will provide a DHCP service to your router, which has its own MAC in turn, and the ISP router will manage your routers connection in much the same way as your router manages your network device’s connection. At this point you’re no longer on a local network, and you will now be assigned a “real” IP. Your ISP has dibs on a certain range of IP addresses, and it will dole one out to you – again this can be static or it can be dynamic. Some ISPs will charge you extra for having a static IP address as it’s a bit of a hassle making the reservation for you. Your router is on the internet on your behalf, and this IP address is what will be shown if you go to an IP address lookup website – this is also the IP address that websites will log, for the most part. It will be able to locate your approximate physical address as it knows which region the IP address your router belongs to, with varying degrees of accuracy depending on how the routers along the way are set up.

As this routing is being done, the network protocol has to start adding some routing information to the packet. The packet now has the originating local IP address (that you got from your router), plus the IP address it needs to be recognised on the wider network (that your router got from your ISP). You can imagine a packet being a bit like an onion – each layer of networking that the packet passes through, another skin is added to the outside of the packet so the internet knows where it came from. Right at the core is the actual data you want to send, outside is all of the guff that’s needed to get it moving.

Thank you Senor. . . .we really enjoyed that. . .

For the above article, I must quote the source : <going-postal.net> Thread title : 'The Internet is really Simple - Part One'

There is a massive juxtaposition in UK politics at the moment causing sever confusion and soul searching amongst the modern political belifiefs of fake news an the left being the arch enemy of the state while the xenophobes are mild-mannered civil creatures of harmony and understanding: Sarah Champion resigns as shadow equalities minister after controversial newspaper column

How can an obviously hard-line left that wants justice for all single out an ethnic minority as having a disproportionate ratio of their community (albeit probably still a very small minority) disposition of committing heinous felonies and then resign her post for what she believes in.. and still be of the left? I have seen people in London this evening walking aimlessly with empty stares from glazed eyes - before the pubs opened (by evening.. I mean without direct sunlight - a common affliction here)

Of course, she is quite a smart woman and by my reckoning, she has realised pollies pay lip service to genuine justice and decided she would draw attentioon to her cause while stiffing them... Well done to her I say. The point she is making is that a fear of the perception of being labelled racist is hampering invetigations into these callous and wicked crimes. It's like until recently, if a woman reported an assault against her husband/boyfriend/bloke she could identify, the police guidance until very recently (in the UK) was to believe the woman's accusation without investigating the facts to find the truth.. Recently, as a result of a couple of miscarriages if justice, the guidance to the police is to investigate the accusation (would you believe it?).

I am not saying Muslims, Indians (who are generally not Muslims), etc are intrinsically bad people - of course they aren't.. But there are sometimes a small minority, but unfortunately big enough of any culture that may have views repugnant to civil society that it shouldn't be hidden -but addressed.. And, I too, and lightly left of centre.

Aussies for example - drinking VB - another heinous act!

Spoiler alert! I have had a couple of Granges tonight.. Bloody things were corked (96s they were) But they still tasted better than JC (Jacobs Creek - although the old fella could make wine from water, he never bottled nor sold it...)

A COUPLE of Granges... bloody hell!

A mate bought some at an auction once, we cracked a bottle ('72 I think). Drank it out of coffee mugs as I had no wine glasses in the house. It was spectacular.

I have a '72 here, keep meaning to take it to the Grange clinic when it's down but keep forgetting. Might crack it on my 50th birthday, given it was bottled on the year of my birth.

Anyway. . .Back to Bitter sarcasm. . ( ! ) Looking a tthis picture, I think that there are more than two of them in the land of nod. . .

[ATTACH]48904._xfImport[/ATTACH]

RED BENCHES ? . . . . . . . . . . . . . CHECK

HOUSE OF LORDS ?. . . . . . . . . . CHECK

FAIRLY USELESS OLD FARTZ. . . CHECK

( AND ALL FOR ONLY £300.00 PER DAY - JUST FOR SIGNING IN. . . .)

I've no doubt that many hard working individuals would just adore a difficult job like this. . . it is common knowledge that many of those sitting in the HoL simply sign the register before noon on any day, and then leave immediately to have a nice day doing something pleasant. Others actually DO something, such as make a speech on an important subject, or not. . .hang around for a kip in the comfortable seats and then avail themselves of a heavily subsidized lunch on one of the Parliament restaurants. . .

I understand that you have not got an Upper Chamber like the Lords in Australia . . .so I hope that this abuse of privilege isn't as blatant in Australia as it is here. 850+ Lords and Ladies, Barons, Baronesses et al, plus all the political placemen and celebs gifted a peerage for favours to previous Governments. . . and yet the place has only 650 seats for them. . .

Outsiders, when visiting this place, are often awestruck by the jaw dropping weirdness of it all.

If I sound in any way envious of this, . . well I'm not. ( But only because I'm not clever enough to attain the dizzy heights of political or celebrity stardom ! ) Jeeze £1,500.00 per week into yer wallet just for the extrreme daily hassle of an hour or two in a first class railway carriage. . .

And before someone says 'Yes Phil',. . .but they can and do hold the executive ( on the green benches next door in 'The Other Place' ( as it is known both ways. . . ) to account so that they do not get free rein to steam a particular bill into law with no opposition. . . . YES they do. . .but, these amendments and obstructions regularly appear to be partisan and Party Politically driven in nature, rather than sensible, to the point of evidence, and fair. . . Such is Polly Ticks. . . .

LORDS.thumb.jpg.00c3bfd93a5121a5ad69605a86af15eb.jpg

A COUPLE of Granges... bloody hell!

A mate bought some at an auction once, we cracked a bottle ('72 I think). Drank it out of coffee mugs as I had no wine glasses in the house. It was spectacular.

I have a '72 here, keep meaning to take it to the Grange clinic when it's down but keep forgetting. Might crack it on my 50th birthday, given it was bottled on the year of my birth.

LORDY. . .I'll be 82 then Marty, if not already fertilizing some bit of ground somewhere. . .I'd like to think I'll still be around crap posting on your Birthday ! ! ! ! ! spacer.pngspacer.png

At least ours were voted in. Not like the Lords. Looking at the voting papers for Australia it is a good thing that we the citizens vote for the senate, because those pictured here wouldn't be awake enough to understand the voting paper.