Another reason why I HATE THE STINKING BBC. . . .

Phil Perry

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seeing the Jack Churchill video on th

Reply to my advertised email address and I'll email to to you ( <airside4me@gmail.com> .) . .maybe you can upload it. . .never had this problem before.. . . .

Reply to my advertised email address and I'll email to to you ( <airside4me@gmail.com> .) . .maybe you can upload it. . .never had this problem before.. . . .

Just an ovbservation from an elderly neigbour fellow . . surviving member of the RAF IN ww2. . ..

"Once upon a time young men lied about their age in able to go to war; now they lie about their age to buy booze & fags" . . .. .

"How times have been genetically changed" I said. . .he nodded in tacit agreement. . . . .

I thought that too... but apparently no reason is needed to lay the boot into the BBC...

On the contrary,. . .

the reasons to lay the boot into the BBC are manifold. And I,. . .am a mere minnow in this regard, but of course, you are all welcome to your opposing opinions. That's what discussion is all about after all.. But notwithstanding my hatred of this corporate Pi$$taker, there are some things of which we are now aware with regard to the Fire in Kensington / Notting Hill.

As feared, all too many people died in the fire. The total number has not yet been released ( If indeed known at this stage, hopefully there will be a full list of tenants published soon. )

The government has rightly set up an Inquiry. We need to know what caused the fire,. . . why the fire spread so fiercely and rapidly, and what differences in the building could have prevented it or lessened the impact. We need to know if people were given the right advice on what to do on that fateful night. It is harrowing to hear of what happened and to learn that even now we do not know who died and where they died. Relatives live with dreadful uncertainty and are now warned that if their loved ones have died they may not be able to identify the bodies. We all are grieving for those lost and are appalled by the extent of the losses. . . .

A full independent Judge Inquiry is needed and this has been agreed between the government and Opposition.

However, these take time and do not satisfy the immediate need for some answers and urgent action elsewhere if other blocks are at risk. We will need statements from the government, Councils and housing management companies about the safety of all the blocks in the country. . . .

The government needs to advise Parliament if it wants to change fire regulations or issue any new guidance to Councils. Individual Councils need to review their housing and debate the matter in each locality. They are the main owners and purchasers of social housing with planning and building control functions that go to heart of this matter. Management organisations need to talk to tenants and review their homes, so they can either reassure or improve their safety. . .

It is good that the government has said that it is now reviewing urgently all tower blocks and will report back.. . .It has said it will make sure all those who have lost their homes from the fire will be housed by the government. It has made emergency money available to the local Council and has helped set up a local co-ordinating committee to deal with all problems.

It has made money and other assistance available to those who have lost their homes.

Many say the new cladding put in to improve thermal insulation, reduce tenant heating bills and improve the appearance of the block for residents and the wider neighbourhood may have speeded the progress of the fire. . .

If this is so,. . . it follows that other buildings with the same system need safety improvements, and future improvement schemes need reviewing. It looks as if fire alarms and response systems were not good enough,. . .were not Working. . . or did not exist.

t would be prudent for all other public sector landlords to review their estates – and private sector ones as well for that matter. . . .

Ensuring the safety of tenants or leaseholders should the overriding priority. Local and national government needs to work hard and swiftly with that in mind. . . .

I will be following this with interest, as I've no doubt, will some of you.

• Now that stills are available from the Met Police video of one of the flats, the morons that are demanding all sorts of answers RIGHT NOW. . .might just understand how difficult a job the authorities have in recovering their loved ones and what a thankless, traumatic task it's going to be for the poor sods that have to do it.

spacer.png

Phil did you intend to attach the Jack Churchill story and if so what is the connection with the BBC? Still wondering pm

Disconnected bits Peter, lost the middle bit which Meant that the whole was a disconnect. . . . .2 different things and a lot going on here at this end at the time. . .sorry for the cobblers mate. . .The JC story had nothig to do with it. That was saved and sent to a Different blog altgether . RF was playing silly buggers ( digitally - apparently ) that night mate. . .

Phil. I can't see what your post above has to do with your dislike of the BBC. Maybe I am missing something. I have been to the UK a few times and found all the radio and TV news type programs atrocious. They are the same as commercial stations here. they have to have two presenters, one male and one female and they alternate sentences all through the news. I can only guess it is so that they are gender correct, but it doesn't help tell the story. Radio programs are also two presenter and they seem to love to waffle on together as if they are just enjoying themselves and to hell with the listeners.

But there is something wrong with a lot of TV shows, for example the documentaries all seem to need an interview of the driver of a car. Usually there is no relevance to the car, but it seems doco makers have that on their must do list.

Phil. I can't see what your post above has to do with your dislike of the BBC. Maybe I am missing something. I have been to the UK a few times and found all the radio and TV news type programs atrocious. They are the same as commercial stations here. they have to have two presenters, one male and one female and they alternate sentences all through the news. I can only guess it is so that they are gender correct, but it doesn't help tell the story. Radio programs are also two presenter and they seem to love to waffle on together as if they are just enjoying themselves and to hell with the listeners.But there is something wrong with a lot of TV shows, for example the documentaries all seem to need an interview of the driver of a car. Usually there is no relevance to the car, but it seems doco makers have that on their must do list.

That's cuz I posted the wrong link !

The video grab I tried to post was a clear 'Call to arms' with the Beeboid suggesting that it was a fair idea to encourage a 'One Million Person' march on the capital to overthrow the government. . .odd, as I thought that the UK's 'National Broadcaster' paid for by forced subscription fomenting public insurrection was treason or summink. I tried several times to repost this and even emailed it to PMCarthy, but the link itself was corrupted and then I noticed that someone up in the Beeb management had thought better of it. . . and deleted the item completely. This was all originally started by the tragic building fire at Grenfell. Then blown out of any sensible proportion by some pretty awful commentators pushing a specific agenda. . .

Mr Atrick, you are an evil man. Poor old Perry is at risk of apoplexy and you're taking the p1ss!

Course he is ! Isn't that what the interwebbyforumthingummies are for ? ? ?

BTW, is it Waaaarm in Zummerzet Jerry ?.. . .it IZ here ! Been out working this morning, wearing a baseball cap. . . and the tops of me lugholes are sunburnt. . . not only that, but the aircon in me car packed up too. . . .first time I've tried to use it this year !

I am in London today, comfortably ensconced in a tall office block with air conditioning that doesn't work very well (what is it about UK buildings that they can't distribute cold air evenly?!?)

Was pretty warm in Somerset yesterday though... Was in the back garden with a coldie yesterday thinking I could be sitting in Tocumwal, except there were no flies and there was (and still is) plenty of green grass....

Sounds nice and comfy.

Weird thing this morning, just as I was leaving at around 8AM, I heard an aero engine, and it was a Pawnee dragging a sexy looking glider over my house at around 500 feet agl or less . . Bit odd, as there isn't a gliding club for a Looong way from here, and the nearest one doesn't do aero tow. . .very strange to be flying that low over a congested area. . . we do have controlled airspace above here, but it's base is 3500ft. . . as bloody usual, I wasn't quick enough with the smartphone cam before the combo disappeared over the trees. . .

Bin looking at my car aircon, looks like I need a re-gas. . .bloody GM Vauxhall rubbish technology. . . .

Mine needs a re-gas every year (carpy Volvo - ne'er again)... The glider could have been an outlanding recovery?

Still waiting for my EASA conversion to come through.. Was cursing driving to London this morning in this glorious weather!!!

Drive - 2.5 hours (and that's leaving at 4am), then 1 hour on train/tube/bus (mainly due to latency).

Dunkeswell --> Fairoaks (while it's open) in a PA28/C172: say an hour with a headwind... Taxi waiting to take me to Woking - 10 mins; Woking --> Office - an hour...

Costs a *bit* more, though...

Of course, I don't count the time to Dunks - 20 mins...

Commuting by AIR ? ? ? I've done it occasionally, did some welding work for a friend in the Isle of Man a few years back. Much quicker to borrow a PA28 from Blackpool and use that. Not as relaxing as a ferry, but far far quicker. Matey had come into some money and bought a farm property up the North end, he had a lot of broken agricultural equipment so He asked me to pop over and do some of the welding work. so I was able to fly into the old WW2 site at Andreas, which is aroound five NM North of Ramsey, it's mainly a gliding club but with a smattering of microlights too. I like renting crappy old aircraft which noone else wants to hire, as they don't lose anything having it on the ground somewhere else for a few days. . .they had an ancient C172 with 'Handbrake' flap selection. . I looked at the plate under the tail and it said made in 1956 ! Jeeze, almost as old as me. . .flew OK though, albeit a bit tired. . . Some of these small FBOs are right cowboys though,

They gave me a lifejacket all wrapped up and unused and asked me not to unpack it unless there was an emergency ( No Joke this ) I had and have on of my own. . . Then we had to use their special LONG jump leads made for starting recalcitrant aircraft ( ! ) to get the damn thing going. The guy asked me to take the battery out at the other end and put it on charge. . . . that was the early model PA28 R200 'Arrow 3' btw. . .but it had super modern accoutrements like Undangleable Dunlops and a constant speed prop. . . . shame about all the clocks and dials on the panel but you can't have everything now can you ?

Only prob ( Then ) with flying to the Island, was all the anti terrorist BS paperwork we had to file for each flight and hand the forms in to the Special Branch portakabin. . .all that for a 25 minute flight skirting around the edge of the H24 Naval Gunnery range. . .