Challenging Religion!

farri

Religion is great, where would we be without the teachings of religion. They point us in the right direction of how we should behave, Religion, or rather the Church, Temple or whatever become a meeting place and bring people together. There is care for people and a helping hand when needed.

It is becoming more and more apparent that the written words of religion are not appropriate in these times so they are being ignored. the priests are not so volatile in their dogma as they used to be and use their own interpretation of the written word to suit their ends.

You must admit that over the decades that religion has done good works, such as educating the young, providing homes for orphans and clubs to keep youngsters off the streets. It has also provided people for us to look up to with high moral standards.

T.I.C.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has also provided people for us to look up to with high moral standards.

Well, the whole child abuse thing probably tarnishes their morals somewhat. All that aside, I think it's more important to look up to people who do inspiring things. That maths teacher who became an internet sensation. Fred Hollows. Nelson Mandela. But the other thing is that nobody is perfect - Nelson Mandela beat his wife apparently. Find the inspiration where you can but always be clear-eyed about the faults in humanity.

The thing is with morals, it's kind of subjective. Pence, the US vice president, apparently won't meet women without his wife present. High moral standards? Whatever that strange behaviour is, I don't find it something to look up to.

Maybe Pence cannot trust himself. I can understand that, pity some of the others don't feel the same way.

It is not only the child abuse that tarnishes their morals.

My brother in law is a very religous person. C of E in the UK. He married a divorcee and the local priest refused to let them marry in the church. They married in a registry office. I was there for the occasion, but didn't go to the ceremony, I was busy helping at home for the reception, where i looked after the bar. Who was my first customer? The right reverend local priest!