Stephen Fry to leave QI. . . .

Phil Perry

The BBC have announced that Stephen Fry will be stepping down as compere of the QI tv quiz show after thirteen years in that post.

His replacement on the show will be Sandi Toksvig, a regular guest on the programme.

SO. . . . . The Beeb are replacing Stevie, a gay Luvvie Leftie Oxbridge English Graduate,

With Sandi, a gay Luvvie Leftie Oxbridge English Graduate. . . ( and leader of her new Equality political party)

Dunno how this will play out with the viewers, Toksvig is quite amusing on the weekly BBC radio show "The Luvvie Lefty News Quiz" but it's one thing being funny reading from a script, and quite another to read a bit of it from a script and be spontaneous and witty with the Off - script stuff.

Loath him or Hate him, Stevie boy WAS very good at that. All M.I. . ( moderately interesting )

( Incidentally, no gay-bashing intended by me,. . .MSM journoes seem to think this is important enough to mention. . .)

I don't think Sandi can carry the show. My impression of her is of a mirthless Scandinavian. I've never seen one of her comedy performances, so I can't judge on that score.

Steve is more effervescent and interacts with the panel members well. I don't think that Sandi could bring those traits and abilities to the job. Steve and Allan Davis carry the show, like Alexander Armstrong and Richard Osman do with "Pointless".

For some reason, female homosexual double entendres don't seem to be as amusing as male homosexual ones. Maybe it's the male homophobe in us.

OME

Ummm I have seen her comedy performances and been at recordings for both QI and the News Quiz and actually Steven has a script and works away from it on QI ... and Sandi has a script AND works away from it on the News Quiz.

And for clarity I am probably classed as a a gay Luvvie Leftie Uni Tasmania Law and went to Sandi's wedding in London so I am definitely biased ;-)

Sandi's pretty good. She probably comes across as "mirthless" because of her deadpan expression, but she does have a rapier wit.

As to whether she can fill Fry's substantial shoes - the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

Absolutely confused as to why either of their sexual preferences is even part of the discussion.

I liked the old shows Whose Line is it Anyway, the Drew Carey american one, I didn't see the british original, through I believe Stephen Fry was in that.

The other Improv show I liked was Thank God You're Here... I still remember the actress playing an Around the world solo record breaking yachtee ranting at a schoolgirl in her bit and the look on the schoolgirls face... the after-scene comments had the actress asking the girl if she was alright and that she hadn't scared her, the girl answered back that yes she had! whomever the actress was, she really got in character as a somewhat cracked solo introvert with a fuse :P

Then there was the Most Dangerous Game scene where the first thing the actor said was "Spiffing, Just Spiffing" in a pure brit Eton accent :D Or the time Caesar asked what the actor and another cast member were discussing "Oh, just a bit of Regicide" :D or something of the nature.

Great show.

Sandi's pretty good. She probably comes across as "mirthless" because of her deadpan expression, but she does have a rapier wit. As to whether she can fill Fry's substantial shoes - the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

Absolutely confused as to why either of their sexual preferences is even part of the discussion.

I suppose we are so used to Stephen from the many roles he has played. I used to love him in 'Kingdom" and even went to Wells-next-the Sea when the wife and I visited the Old Dart. (That was a day we'll never get back). I've only ever seen Sandi on QI. Clarkson made an appearance on QI and was quite humourless.

And I don't know the relevance of the sexual preference - that's Phil's fault.

OME

Ummm I have seen her comedy performances and been at recordings for both QI and the News Quiz and actually Steven has a script and works away from it on QI ... and Sandi has a script AND works away from it on the News Quiz.

And for clarity I am probably classed as a a gay Luvvie Leftie Uni Tasmania Law and went to Sandi's wedding in London so I am definitely biased ;-)

On the script thing mate, I'll bow to your greater knowledge, as I have not been in a studio audience at the News Quiz so cannot see what bits of rapier wit are Sandi Toksvig's own or scrioted. . . but it is quite obvious on QI that Fry has a bountiful store of deep knowledge of a seemingly endless range of subjects and the off topic parts, of which there ae usually many per show give me the impression that I hold. I watch repeats of the show if I'm in the mood,. . . otherwise I climb into my attic interwebby eyrie and annoy the crap out of some my Antipodean and / or American friends.

As OME mentioned, he hand Alan Davies work well together. I will watch the new show and give it a chance, but to my mind Fry IS the show, and as with a new version of Top Gear, I really can't see it working unless the format changes radically, and then Top Gear it Ain't.