Windows 10 dubious moove?

planedriver

I always stay one operating system behind but with Windows 10 going past 8 im staying two behind with Windows 7, a lot of organisations are doing the same an upgrading from xp to 7.

That seems a bit silly, I found 8.1 to be faster & more reliable than 7. Not in a rush to update to 10, maybe next year.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That seems a bit silly, I found 8.1 to be faster & more reliable than 7. Not in a rush to update to 10, maybe next year.

Has a lot to do with being more user friendly and also software compatibility.

There are skins for Windows 8 that make it look like Windows 7 such as the below but it all comes to giving them time to iron out the bugs and also the compatibility of sofware.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

FWIW, I have the pro version of win 10. I was using a 3 modem the other day when the thought occured to me that windows has a nasty habbit of downloading updates and chewing up my data allowance. So I decided I better tell it not to download updates without my permission and... No can do. cant see an option to prevent automatic downloads, just an option to prevent automatic installation of the updates. Annoying. Have not tried to find a work around yet, but I am sure its possible somehow.

Guest Nightmare1
windows 10 is terrible for what it is. not recommended to anyone till they sort out the bugs. Its hard to see how MS can release such bad o/s year after year and still make a profit

I believe Win 10 has been in beta for at least a year, so a lot of the bugs would have been addressed. It's a free upgrade if you have Win 7 or 8, I'm still waiting for my turn to download, so I wait in anxious grimace. My wife has it with no issues, so does 2 of my step sons again with no issues. One of them was participating in the beta process. He was very positive about the new OS, well before they released it.

I think the secret with computers is, if you have an old computer, it will run best with an older OS, if you have a newer computer it'll run great with the latest OS as the latest OS is designed around the new hardware.

If you read back through the topic you will see that discussed earlier. It is not possible to stop this in windows 10.

Only way to block all updates is to block the microsoft update servers within the hosts file.

Funny you should say that, because that is exactly what I had in the back of my mind.

• 4 weeks later...

spent all last night downloading and installing W10. seems to work OK except I can't play my music un compatible message. VLC player keeps crashing grrr i'll give it a few days then may go back to old version.

I moved the two laptops from 7pro and 8 to 10 through download at a public web point (save my home bandwidth) ... then watched the entire months 21gb of home data get gobbled up in 10 days of the damn win10 updates ... rolled back to the old OS and suddenly the months data lasts a month.

Outcome - Simple update process and mostly fault free BUT far too many HUGE bug patches and you cannot stop it downloading them ... though I believe of the the patches AFTER I rolled back now allows the use to chose to download and apply patches - may return in a year or two.

I moved the two laptops from 7pro and 8 to 10 through download at a public web point (save my home bandwidth) ... then watched the entire months 21gb of home data get gobbled up in 10 days of the damn win10 updates ... rolled back to the old OS and suddenly the months data lasts a month.

Outcome - Simple update process and mostly fault free BUT far too many HUGE bug patches and you cannot stop it downloading them ... though I believe of the the patches AFTER I rolled back now allows the use to chose to download and apply patches - may return in a year or two.

around 500mb plus in background downloads today. i'm on 15gb wireless per month so this can't go on if it keeps happening then out it goes. not real impressed nothing special for me with this OS.

Guest Nightmare1

I migrated to Win 10 a few weeks ago. I started getting program crashes and weird things happening like my sound world randomly stop. I figured that Win10 does not automatically update your drivers. After updating my video and sound drivers, plus whatever else I could think of, Win10 is finally running a whole lot better, probably better than Win8.1 that I migrated from. I use chrome with no problem, if you're having a problem, check that you have the latest plugins, older ones designed for Win8 could cause problems

I can't play my music un compatible message. VLC player keeps crashing grrr i'll give it a few days then may go back to old version.

I would maybe suggest checking your video drivers... careful though, if you are using a laptop, get the video drivers from your laptop manufacturers site not the video card site, there is a difference! Eg: If you have a ASUS laptop with a NVidia card, go to the ASUS site. Update your latest sound card driver from Device Manager. That should fix your VLC and music problems.

My saga continued...i finally snapped and rolled back to 8.1. Bad move it kilss virtually every 3rd party executable path...took about 6 safe boots to get running ...

Then i eventually had to reinstall the horrible wi dows 10 to get the thing running againg

This fixed half the third party software

Still had to reinstall Norton, Chrome and several others...

Around 20 hours later its runing fine, but still no where near as good as 8.1 which was virtually perfect for its duration