Windows 10 dubious moove?

planedriver

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The idea behind the update system is so that as soon as a problem is found and solved, or someone invents a new widget that needs a driver, MS can produce a solution, or provide the driver to ALL users at the same time, so that everyone will be on the same page.

Don't forget that the majority of users of W10 will not be home users. MS's priority is towards non-private users. By using automatic updates, MS has saved millions of hours that IT staff would have to waste ensuring that all their operating systems were fully up to date. Now the IT staff can get back to the really important stuff like, 'My printer won't print any paper' Answer: 'Have you put paper in the paper tray?' 'Err, no!'

Bloody Windows 10. Somehow they have inserted a keyboard shortcut so that when I go <shift> <Double inverted commas> I get '@'. That screws up using one keystroke for the symbol for inches, now I have to use two keystrokes to get ''. Bloody Yankee punctuation

[ATTACH]47694._xfImport[/ATTACH]

OME

2146188338_Angryemu.jpg.fd58d184c9b2de084d5531cd2552e71f.jpg

Untill Microsoft put out a dodgy update (like they already have) that causes computers to crash and tries to update again on restart causing an endless reboot loop forcing it departments to spend many hours fixing it or trying to.

Download Thunderbird

Done. I found Outlook &/or Express OK so never worried about it before & then opened a Gmail account & as with most Google stuff works well. I use Chrome browser & have found that really good. Thunderbird is everything Windows mail isn't. Easy to use with heaps of features if you want them. Windows poor attempt at "Cloud" based Email is pathetic. Half the time it won't retrieve attachments & has few useful features. It is gone. Thunderbirds are go.

Solved my problem, all our crew have purchased apple macs and for the very few programs we run on windows we use Windows 7 in a virtual machine or via boot camp.

However, most of our programs are run via remote desktop into the server or soon to be citrix, that way we can eliminate all need for windows and run the software from the server.

Can also access the programs via the ipad using citrix or remote desktop apps :)

I am still happy with my XP.

The annoying thing about XP is that it serves most people fine but it then becomes a security risk for everyone on the internet, including yourself. XP is now 14 years old, the question is how long should companies like XP be forced to support a product? Imagine if you were unable to buy parts for your 14 year old car?

Yep and if you need to upgrade your pc you cannot get xp drivers, you can't even get windows 7 drivers for some of the new laptops!

Airlines still use xp, but as most of there systems are in lockdown and have general internet access blocked they don't have to worry about security pataches as they mainly run client software for there servers or even citrix.

Same with vicpol.

I'm going to rip into my 'Face of Windows 10' son this weekend. My bloody computer has been freezing while I'm on the Net or cutting out when watching short Youtube videos. Plus changing the keyboard strokes.

<Shift, 2> = " instead of @

<Shift, 3> = £ instead of 'hash'

<Shift, double quotation> = @ instead of double quotation marks

<Shift, vertical slash> = ~ instead of vertical slash

OME

Yep and if you need to upgrade your pc you cannot get xp drivers, you can't even get windows 7 drivers for some of the new laptops!

Airlines still use xp, but as most of there systems are in lockdown and have general internet access blocked they don't have to worry about security pataches as they mainly run client software for there servers or even citrix.

Same with vicpol.

There really is no excuse for any company not to upgrade from XP. I can understand individuals, but not organisatins. It was known about for a long time, and the upgrade path was not that difficult. All the software I manage was upgraded to run on Windows 7 in the Vista days, and it mainly just required recompiling with the newer API's. If you let your software get that far out of date that it can't be recompiled, then you have already put your organisation at risk.

As for not worrying about security patches, if its on a network its vulnerable, period. Its also putting your whole network at risk.

I must be the only person who has not had an issue with Windows 10. I upgraded my laptop and its going great. Mind you, I am a little scared to upgrade my PC yet, mainly because I cant handle any downtime on it for now.

There really is no excuse for any company not to upgrade from XP../QUOTE]

Cost.... I know the upgrade costs outweigh the damage bill if your system is compromised but still a lot of organisations take the chance to save costs especially if you have a network of hundreds or even thousands of computers.

I always stay one operating system behind but with Windows 10 going past 8 im staying two behind with Windows 7, a lot of organisations are doing the same an upgrading from xp to 7.

No issues on windows 10 for me so far after a few weeks, I quite like it. I did the upgrade keeping all settings etc from win 8.1 with the intention of doing a clean install afterwards, but to be honest it's running so well I don't think I'll bother, not yet anyway. I work from home so my pc is my livelihood, so far so good.

I put the brakes on Updates for windows 7 few days ago when i noticed how much it was chewing into my monthly data. i'll try the new version next month when i get my next allotment of data. being stuck with wireless is a downer plus expensive just to keep microsoft happy. firefox is on notice as well it has been pretty unstable last couple months. see how todays update goes.

To access this, open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.” You should see a “Go back to Windows 7″ or “Go back to Windows 8.1″ option. Click the Get started button to get rid of your Windows 10 install and restore your previous Windows install.

Think there is a certain amount of time before this option will disappear.