BREXIT Fail

old man emu

I just don't get  the blurbs on wine bottle labels that go on about the wine having a mulberry or a peach or some other flavour hint. I thought wine was a pure food, made from grapes whose variety and vintner's skill determined the end result of fermenting grape juice.

My uneducated palette is happy to sip in a bit of Chateau de Boite Enpapier. And the box costs $9.00 and lasts a fortnight.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Those silly descriptions don't do anything for ME either. A lot of whites contain a fair bit of Sultana. It's very bland but no harm. OT I wouldn't be downing old stuff like that especially as it was probably a corked bottle and wine goes to vinegar usually. One interesting wine I underappreciated  for ages as I was sceptical is made from especially diseased grapes and its a Liquere. sp? Quite fantastic with some desserts  Expensive though, but you don't serve much. I purchased some at Mt Langhi Giran west of Ballarat. Someone may know it's description  because at the moment I can't....... OK I've got it. Botrytis  wine. In my head somewhere back there.  Nev

• Informative 1

Ports have a chance but most times it's undrinkable I would think when you get to 100 years. I suggest there's a bit of wishful thinking and a good story maybe. Storing wines is a bit of an art. It's easy to ruin them. I tend to not run the risk of losing some by using 2 years for whites and 5 for reds as a practical limit. I have tipped a lot down the sink and it does seem like a waste but at the price today just buy something you know is OK. and enjoy it. Less of better is the way to go. I have it with food mostly.  Nev

• Like 1

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

OK I've got it. Botrytis  wine. In my head somewhere back there. 

Indeed.. And there is an interesting article on it here: https://www.virginwines.co.uk/hub/blog/what-is-noble-rot/

I am not a sweet or fortefied wine person, to be honet. Muscats, Ports, desert wines,  and even sweeter whites just make me go green... Horses for courses, I guess.

But, Brown Brothers do produce an Orange Flora Muscat, which is quite nice. Oh, I never drink it, but my partner uses it to make the most delicious desert, creapes smothered in an Orange Flora Muscat sauce. No idea what she dows to the booze, but my dog, it is yummy

• Informative 1

On 21/10/2023 at 5:41 PM, onetrack said:

Nev, it was a sweet white, a Late Harvest Riesling, so I guess the sugars have preserved it well. Haven't the salvage teams found drinkable wine that's 200 or 300 years old, in historic shipwrecks?

I know nothing about wine,
but imagine there is a sweet spot in the ocean depth where the temperature preserves.
and it would be pretty damn consistent.

• Like 1

I've checked up on reliable industry recommendations and they are STILL in line with the ones I  have posted. 2 years with whites and 5 for reds. Go beyond that and the risk is  generally not worth the Gamble. "Will improve with aging" can mean keep it a while and you will have forgotten why you bought it, It's not even good to use when  cooking, either..  I found a 2006 Botrytis Reisling from central Victoria. It  still looks clear with no sediment.   It usually comes in 375 mil bottles.  Nev

• Informative 1

• 4 months later...