Funerals and funeral expenses

red750

It is so very hard to know in what way one should deal with our Loved One at that time. My overriding desire was that my wife as not cremated as I feel that by cremation the person is gone too soon. Financially, I was fortunate in that my wife lies in a country cemetery where the price of a plot is so much less than at a city cemetery. Also, nowadays graves are dug deep so that two people can be buried in the one plot. So I know where I'll go.

Funeral Directors don't do it for Love. It is their livelihood, and they make their money firstly by doing the administrative work needed for a death certificate and  by preparing the body for the funeral, whichever is to follow, and running the funeral. Secondly, they push the "extras" like expensive coffins, flowers, newspaper notices because that's where the profit is. To me, the most important thing on my mind when burying my wife was to have a place to go to in order to keep up my memory of her. I knew that whatever sort of coffin she was place in, it would rot away. Also it would only be seen for an hour or two before it was buried. Since it was only her immediate family who attended, what was the need for an expensive coffin?

I'm sure that the Funeral Director was broken hearted with the simplicity and lack of extras, but I'm sure that for my kids and me, my wife was buried with love and respect. The Director's fee was about eight thousand, and that included her transport from Sydney to Gilgandra. Luckily, my kids had the ready money to settle the account, and now I have to consider the way I'll repay them. 

• Informative 2

I can understand where you are coming from O.M.E. but it was my wife's wishes, expressed to the kids only a couple of days before she passed, that she wanted to be cremated. Her father passed away before we met, about 55 years ago. When her mother died 11 years ago, she was buried in the same grave, even though she had married again in later life. I will have my memories in my heart, I have a larger framed version of the photo below on the bedroom wall, and I will keep the ashes casket on the dressing table, so she will be with me always. What the kids do with it when I'm gone is up to them.

There was a transport and handling charge by the first company of $350. The fixed price cremation, which includes all legal paper work and death certificate, is $1695.00, and the ashes caskets as shown below (rosewood on the left, and walnut) are $242.00 extra. They are 16cm high.

image.thumb.png.260abb1813237b0b578e830b68d19725.png

image.thumb.png.68682058c18291c80309dc41d053deda.png

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Here's my idea...  get buried secretly on the farm and provide lots of forward-dated postcards saying how I have met a rich lady in Melbourne and they are not to pursue me but to keep cashing my super cheques.

This will not only save the cost of a funeral, but I will keep getting paid after I have gone.

I got the idea from the "bodies in a barrel" murders in SA, where the perps kept cashing the pension cheques of the murdered people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, red750 said:

it was my wife's wishes,

Cremation or burial, it's a personal choice, You were lucky that your wife told you hers and that you could fulfil the wish. You are lucky to be able to make a "shrine" to her memory. I will do something similar when I finish the renovation and unpack my stuff. At the moment I have a 6 x 4 photo of her beside me at the computer, and another pinned to her grave marker so people passing by will know what she looked like.

• Like 1