Should get out more often

willedoo

I went to town yesterday and saw two things I'd never seen before. First was an electric car gliding by a few feet away. It was actually a hybrid, but running on battery. Very quiet, like a big slot car. I've probably unknowingly seen them in the distance, but this was the first up close experience with one.

The second was a young bloke vaping as he walked past me. Well, I'd guess that's what it was. He had smoke coming out of his mouth and had no cigarette, just a plastic thing in his hand.

Had the opportunity to ride in an electric car and have a drive, simply amazing. My cruiser rumbles with its 3inch straight through exhaust and the looks I get are because of the smell of fish and chips, or curry, not because of the car which looks like crap. Still surprises me when an Ev goes by, total silence. There seems a lot of EV's in Tas, there's a company that imports second hand ev's from japan as over there after 2 years they trade them in.

As for vaping, was once common around pubs, now not so much and they should be left top do what they want. Just refuse free medical help for all smokers and vapers, it would be great to get rid of the useless junkies polluting every ones air.

• Like 1

I pulled up at a set of traffic lights last year, with the Missus' Camry Atara, which is reasonably fast with 170HP from it's 2.5L 4 cyl. But a black car I didn't recognise pulled up alongside me, on the inside lane.

The lanes past the intersection converged from 3 into 2. I studied the black car for 10 or 15 seconds whilst waiting for the light, and I was none the wiser.

Then the lights turned green and I gunned the Camry away at a fast clip, enough to leave most of the other cars behind - but next second, this black shape went past me on the inside, like it had a rocket up its a***.

It was only then that I saw the "Tesla" badge on the boot. He was obviously delighting in the 700HP or 900HP that he had on tap. Very impressive, but I wonder what spurts like that, do to the battery reserve?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, onetrack said:

It was only then that I saw the "Tesla" badge on the boot. He was obviously delighting in the 700HP or 900HP that he had on tap. Very impressive, but I wonder what spurts like that, do to the battery reserve?

My son owns a Tesla. With the 75 Kwh there is plenty of capacity.   It is tremendous fun to drive, even my wife who drives pretty sedately was launching off at the traffic lights. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, onetrack said:

Very impressive, but I wonder what spurts like that, do to the battery reserve?

Use the regen braking and you'd probably get most of it back, my friend drives on regen and gets lots of extra klms that way. I go to Hobart regularly, for business and shopping, my neighbour sometimes comes along and always asks if she can come rallying with me to Hobart.

Here is a video of a 0-60 "launch"  when my son picked us up from the airport on our last visit.  I am in the back seat and my wife is giggling in the passenger seat.    My son has a few cars and is a keen motor sport participant.  Although he has a race car he has put this Tesla on track just for the fun of it.

Edited by octave
  • Like 2

I'm looking forward to the day when they make a one tonne trayback 4wd, not landcruiser or F truck size, more like a hilux capacity. Here's a question regarding a vehicle like that carrying a load - what is the torque like with an electric motor? I'm assuming no problem as they are making electric trucks already.