Getting a warranty job from a builder

Bruce Tuncks

The builder who built my house ( I would do it again ) offered a 50 year structural warranty, but  they have extreme measures to prevent anybody using that warranty.

For example, a phone call gets to the telephone girl who tells you the maintenance guy is out.  He never returns the call. A letter is just ignored, because you can't prove you ever sent it. Today I tried an email... it got returned unopened " risk of spam" the message said.

So I went to the post office and sent a registered letter.... I can't think of a way out for them on this but it will be interesting to see if there is a way.

( They have no email address except for sales, so I sent it to sales and asked them to forward it...  )

What, I hear you wonder, was the problem anyway?  It was that the plasterboard in the carport ceiling was coming adrift, on account of interior grade stuff was used for an exterior application.

Plasterboard coming off would not be covered by a "structural warranty" IMO, simply because the plasterboard is not a structural member.

The warranty would only apply to the "structural members" of the house - i.e., the major load-carrying sections. If the carport roof was sagging due to a roof support member buckling or failing, you would have a claim on the warranty.

4 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

It was that the plasterboard in the carport ceiling was coming adrift, on account of interior grade stuff was used for an exterior application.

Definitely not a fault with the building structure, but you could look at incorrect materials for the desired application.

Is there a builder's licencing authority in your State?