Does Australia have a food surplus or not?

Bruce Tuncks

5 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

I will need advice on a modestly priced area nearer prime fishing coastline (don't care about beaches) within commutable distance of Sydney CBD.. by road or rail - sadly not enough in it for air...

"Commutable distance" in Sydney will mean a train trip of at least an hour in Sydney. That puts you on the metropolitan fringes. Forget about using a car, except to get to an outer Sydney railway station, and then you'd better be getting there well before sparrow fart to find a place to park.

Fortunately, if you go to the northern or southern/southwestern fringes you will be close to good places to wet a line. Come out to the southwest and you have the advantage of access to a controlled GA airport and an uncontrolled RAAus-type airfield. You would be looking at house rents starting in the high $400 to mid-$500 out that way. 

Thanks OME... For the controlled airfield SW of Sydney, I thought you were talking Badgerys Creek (not sure of the uncontrolled airfield).. but Google Maps points me to to somewhere that decidely does not look like an airfield (see below)..

Unf, SWMBO would, in the absence at being able to be in a hipster/CBD-ish location, prefer to be near the coast, so if you canlet me know some north/south fringes that would be appropriate - that would be greatr..

BTW, I have no issues beating sparrows farts up.. they stink.. If it is within about 30 - 35km of the city, I will cycle three times a week there, anyway (which is why I am up before sparrows fart and wake everyone else up)!

No, the controlled airport is Camden, a little south of Badgerys Creek (which will be for the heavies when it is built), and the RAAus field is The Oaks, a little further out from Camden.

image.thumb.png.7a50e0f8b96b71a95cfc049b526785be.png

This map shows the south and southwest edges of the Sydney Metropolitan area. The areas coloured white are where people live.

image.thumb.png.8dde2a2556efdcafe8690f301513813b.png

This one might suit the missus

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-sylvania-430377498

image.thumb.png.6d669fa3f10f95da7d9bedb3dd7e6b5f.pngThe closest train to the CBD is at Hurstville. You'd better look at these on Google Maps to get a better idea of distances.

As for cycling to the CBD - that is highly likely to make you a very temporary resident.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, onetrack said:

Meantimes, the Chinese have stopped buying our barley, are stopping their cotton mills from buying Australian cotton - and now they have effectively stopped buying Australian coal.

With the coal, it's inevitable that we'll lose that trade to China. Whether it happens now or later, it will still happen. At this stage they've only stopped buying thermal power station coal and not high quality coking coal. China has plenty of coal but not enough rail infrastructure for their mines to keep up with demand, so it's cheap and easy to make up part of the shortfall shipping it in. But they are improving the rail situation and when decent rail infrastructure is in place to bring it in from Mongolia and outlying domestic coalfields, it might be game over for a lot of our China coal trade. Renewables might have a big impact in the future as well.

On the subject of foreign ownership, I see in the news today that R.M.Williams is back in Australian ownership thanks to Twiggy Forrest.

Edited by willedoo

@old man emu - that rental isn't too bad... Although Sylvania Waters does evoke cisions based on a famous reality/documentary series.  And I have also heard cycling in Sydney is not for people wanting to live long.. But I am hoping a 5am start may see me through (the run back, though, would be interesting). I had an email today it will be up to two weeks before I hear anything...

@willedoo - glad to hear RM is coming back to Aus ownership. Funny story - I had a gig with Ralph Lauren and for a time, I was wearing their clothes. I bumped into a yank who was dolled up head to toe in RM Williams and I remarked the irony of an Aussie in American clothes and an American in Aussie clothes. He ran their US operation form memory... I still have a pair of boots from 25 years ago.. and I have a red moleskin shirt from about 12 years ago. But when they moved a lot of their manufacturing to China, after expensive shirts tore in no time and the poor way the company gave customer service in response to the shoddy workmanship, I stopped buying anything other than what was made in Aus - which is a couple of moleskin jeans which don't seem to have increased in price in a few years.

That place is not in Sylvania Waters. It is on, or close to, the original property of Thomas HOLT who did much to develop oyster production in Gwaley Bay, which was filled in during the mid-1960's to create Sylvania Waters. As I kid I used to fish in Gwaley Bay and watched the Waters being created.

I got a pair of Cuban heeled elastic sided riding boot from R M Williams in the 70's and still have them Used to wear them while working on a Santa Gertrudis stud in Queensland.

• Like 1

Tom Uglys Bridge took its name from the southernmost part of Blakehurst, known as Tom Uglys Point.

image.thumb.png.c2f7061da16ea36c70555fe4ca4372c5.png

There is debate about how the Point got that name. Theories include:

An Aborigine by that name lived at Tom Ugly’s Point in a cave;

It was named after an old fisherman by the name of Tom Illigley;

It was named after Tom Huxley, a caretaker on a large estate. The Aborigines who visited him could not pronounce his name so it became Tom Hoogli which in turn became Tom Ugly’s;

It was named after an Aborigine called Tommy who had only one leg, and who in the Aboriginal terminology was called “Waggerly” Tom (waggerly being the Aboriginal word for lame animal). Later on he was called Tom Waggerly which was finally changed to Tom Ugly.

Tom Uglys Point is on the northern side of the river. The southern side is Horse Rock Point, named because there was a level rock edge to the river where horses could be landed from punts. Shag Point is names, not for being a "Lovers' Lane" as you imply, but because it was a nesting ground got the bird of that name.

image.thumb.png.fe730538f7aa7d4de2a3a338a08f0a91.png

I was nearly born on Tom Ugly's Point, outside the Seabreeze Hotel. My mother had gone into labour in the afternoon and an ambulance was called to take her to hospital. The driver stopped outside the pub to let his partner check on Mum. Unfortunately that was just after knock-off time and the pub was crowded with workers engaged in the Six O'Clock Swill. My mother received a rousing cheer from the drinkers, but was able to hold on until she got to hospital where I was born just after the pubs closed.

• Like 1