XPT Derailment

red750

I wondered why there have been no screams from you know who about Scott Morrison or the LNP pushing the XPT off the tracks. Oh. That's right, I forgot. Railways are the responsibility of the State government. - No, it couldn't be them asleep at the wheel. After all, they are Labor.

It was sad. I reckon the driver lacked an engineering education and didn't know enough about subsidence and inertial forces . But he was a good bloke who tried to make up time as they were late.

On the similar fast train to the west, I thought the speed was a bit too high for the smoothness of the track.

An education similar in standard ( but differing in subject matter ) to that of a commercial pilot would have been better.

Substandard maintenance of the track by Public Transport Victoria and failure to brief the driver about the speed restriction. I have seen reports that there was a fire in signalling equipment in that area If the conditions were known sufficiently to impose a speed limit, there should have been a safety person there to signal the driver. It's not as if the XPT was not expected.

The Qld tilt train derailed a few years ago, seems he was exceeding the speed limit. The driver original came form here and his workmates said they would not trust him with a wheelbarrow. Luckily in that derailment nobody was badly hurt.

Substandard maintenance of the track by Public Transport Victoria and failure to brief the driver about the speed restriction. I have seen reports that there was a fire in signalling equipment in that area If the conditions were known sufficiently to impose a speed limit, there should have been a safety person there to signal the driver. It's not as if the XPT was not expected.

Truly a very sad outcome for the Driver and his pilot. Should never have happened. No doubt his inability to defend himself will undoubtedly mean he is blamed as the cause.

That is the worst section of track on that route. Shirley and I were on the XPT on November 6 last year on that same route. I remember that section of track well, I remarked to Shirley how bad that section of was. Disgracefull really, it was a rough ride at the time; it should never be that way. I wonder what excuses they will come up with for the condition of the track.