Who here remembers "Columbo" (Peter Falk)

flying dog

Yeah, showing my age.

I shall try to go back and get a clip or more details, but while it is in my mind, I thought I should throw the question out there:

In one of the episodes, someone was flying back to LA on a commercial jet.

There was a bit of "stock footage" of a plane landing. Camera under the plane, and looking forward.

Here is the "problem":

The wheels came out and twisted the tiers. That's ok. But when it touched down, the FRONT wheels went down first!

Keh?!

Which commercial operator would land nose wheels first?

Yeah, showing my age.

I shall try to go back and get a clip or more details, but while it is in my mind, I thought I should throw the question out there:

In one of the episodes, someone was flying back to LA on a commercial jet.

There was a bit of "stock footage" of a plane landing. Camera under the plane, and looking forward.

Here is the "problem":

The wheels came out and twisted the tiers. That's ok. But when it touched down, the FRONT wheels went down first!

Keh?!

Which commercial operator would land nose wheels first?

Maybe it was a Boeing Stratocruiser?

There was a trifecta of detective series on Channel 9(?) at the time, Columbo driving around in his Peugeot 403 convertible, Dennis Weaver as McCloud riding around on his horse and Robert Blake as Baretta.

I was only in my mere teens but watched them with my Mum who loved them.

Of course there were many others but they seemed to be the quality ones.

Dunno, that's kinda why I asked.

There wasn't an outside shot of it. Just a bit of "stock footage" of a plane landing.

Check out Stratocruiser (passenger airliner based on the B29/50) landings. They were famous for landing nosewheel first.

Full flap and excess speed, and a fair bit of power and you just run the nosewheel along the runway with little weight on it P&W R 2000's with exhaust augmenters would do nothing for your hearing. You could probably pick those pilots at the bar. when you say "your shout next" they don't hear you. Nev

Ok, thanks.

I shall try to get a couple of frames up so you can see.

But ITMT, if anyone is that "interested"/bored, it was Season 2 episode 3. The most crutial game.

If you watch the begining, they show clips from the episode. About 15 seconds in you see the plane landing.

They often used to use stock footage of B52 gear going down. Just another annoying inaccuracy of aviation in movies over the years! On a side note, just visited the Aviation Heritage Museum in Darwin today which has a B52 on display. I'd love to know how they put it in that hangar

They often used to use stock footage of B52 gear going down. Just another annoying inaccuracy of aviation in movies over the years! On a side note, just visited the Aviation Heritage Museum in Darwin today which has a B52 on display. I'd love to know how they put it in that hangar

Built the hanger around it?

Some of the other items there are just as impressive. One of the highlights of Darwin.