Bad news continues unabated.

red750

• 11 months later...

Unfortunately, I have to revive this thread from last January. While our Spoodle Bella has fully recovered and is fighting fit, over the last couple of days we noticed our other dog, Golden Retriever Roxy, become lethargic, off her food, and having difficulty moving. We got a vet appointment this afternoon, and it turns out she has a tumor on the spleen, and is bleeding into her stomach. We were advised to take her to the Lort Smith Animal Hospital in North Melbourne where they are equipped to handle cases of this nature. She will need an operation to remove the tumor and check for any spread, and will possibly need a blood transfusion. She may have to spend up to four days at the hospital, and there is no guarantee about her prognosis. We have been warned the the cost could be $3500 to $4000 dollars, after the 25% pensioner discount. 

[ATTACH]50552._xfImport[/ATTACH]

P1130725.thumb.JPG.f44e54c12d5ac61d1f2dad8c20dd9bfd.JPG

Well, things certainly took a turn for the worse.  The reason our local vet couldn't operate was that Roxy would have needed overnight care and they had no staff on after 7 pm. We were told that the window of opportunity was narrow and it was urgent that she got the necessary care. We got to the Lort Smith Hospital at about 5.30. Roxy was unable or unwilling to get out of the car so we sought help. Before they would do anything, they had to complete all the paperwork. Eventually they came out with a trolley at about 6 pm, after we had sat in the car in the heat. After another short wait, we went into the consulting room, where the woman busied herself with more paperwork. We had taken blood test results and an ultrasound image with us, but they said they had to do them again.  They eventually took Roxy 'behind the scenes' at about 6.20, and told us they would contact us with an update. My daughter and I returned home.

At 11.30 they phoned to say they had operated, she didn't have a tumor and she wasn't bleeding into her abdomen, but she had a build-up of fluid which they drained, then close her up. They were trying to revive her from the anesthetic as she would become hypoxic if left too long. Ten minutes later they called to say she succumbed on the operating table and was unable to be resuscitated. They said she died from heart disease. To say my wife, my daughter and I were devastated is an understatement. Roxy was nine and a half years old. Bella, who has only spent one night without Roxy since we got her, is also very distressed.

Red

So sorry to hear about Roxy. But I am happy that Bella is still doing well.

You can only try to remember the good times and that you always did your best for them.

Koby lost his battle on 11 Nov and I am still missing him terribly as are Julie and his best mate Heaven.

Julie decided no more dogs when we had to let Koby go, but Heaven, Julie and I have been so down for the last 2 months, that we are sitting at home at the moment waiting for a rescue to come and visit.

He will be here at 11ish and his current owners are coming to see how he fits in with Heaven and us. I guess they are coming to check us out more than anything else. 

No one will replace what you have lost but you never know there could be enough love in your heart for another (little people) as we call them in our house.

Hi Peter - I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your family pet. They certainly occupy a large part of our lives when we have them, and they become family members, with character and returned affection.

We just have to learn that pets are with us for only a short time, in comparison to humans, and that they eventually die. You go through a period of grieving, just as you do with a family member passing on.

But I think the best thing you can do, is acquire another dog to replace Roxy. The replacement pet will never fully replace the one you lost, but it does ease the pain of losing a faithful pet.

Cheers, Ron.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

We got Roxy as a companion dog for one of two border collie cross dogs we had after the other passed away nine and a half years ago. We feel sure the old dog gained an extra year of life with Roxy as companion. When he finally passed, we got Bella as Roxy's companion and they were very close. We spoke to the hospital regarding balance of account owing, and said we would be interested in looking at a rescue dog, but making no commitment. The account balance was a pleasant surprise. Cost of services $1400, deposit paid $1000, balance owing $400, plus $50 for cremation.

Dogs are intuitive. My wife said Roxy knew when I had cancer. At the animal hospital, Roxy refused to get out of the car. It's as if she thought "If I get out, I'll never get back in again." We had to lift her out. We didn't know how right she was.