Some interestIng music from back then. . .

Phil Perry

Search for:

A History of Pop Music – 1965

24 songs for 1965 in my favourite lists, though I like all 10 in the top 10 as well.

In my view the best songs of the year, after the featured track are:

Hat tips to:

http://www.uk-charts.top-source.info/ These give the top 100 selling charts for each year

1950s Singles Chart Archive - everyHit.com These give the top 10 songs for each year

https://www.youtube.com/ You know them.

Next time, 1966.

H/T my mate Phil the test Manager. . . .Thanks for the reminder Phil. . .

I'm sure that the comments only related to pop music.

Although a lot of the pop music of the 60's and 70's was produced using three guitars and a drum kit, there were some memorable tunes created. It seems to me that as the 60's flowed into the 70's the musicians gained a freer rein and by that time had developed their skills. Look at the music of the Beatles, The Who, Mike Oldfield, Uriah Heep, all of whom used traditional instruments.

Music appreciation is all down to personal taste. I like classical, Inter-War Jazz, Big Band, most popular music from the 50's to 70's. I am not enamored of the music of the under 30-year-olds. I can't see these people at 55 to 60 years of age singing the lyrics of the music of their youth.

Yes.. There is not too much good to be said about contemporary music radio stations in the UK.. that is why I listen to mainly Aussie ones through the phone.

I think there is equally good "pop" music made today as there was yesterday - the distribution channels are more diverse than they were and one only has to look on YouTube, Vimeo, etc to find them. The world has had elevator music for as long as I have been around, at least...

Yes.. There is not too much good to be said about contemporary music radio stations in the UK.. that is why I listen to mainly Aussie ones through the phone.

I think there is equally good "pop" music made today as there was yesterday - the distribution channels are more diverse than they were and one only has to look on YouTube, Vimeo, etc to find them. The world has had elevator music for as long as I have been around, at least...

I'd agree there Jerry except that overall I'd say popular music today is better. There were some classics in the past that will never be replaced, but in general, quite a lot of it was liked at the time because we had no other choice. There is so much competition around today that half the pop songs of the 70's and 80's wouldn't cut the mustard today.

Youtube has been a blessing. It's exposed us to so much good music that we'd never have got to hear in the money oriented record company days.

Heaps of up and coming bands and musicians have achieved world fame without the cigar munching middle men. In Europe for example, a lot start off producing Youtube clips and once they have millions of followers, they go on tours and record etc.. It must be a lot harder these days to make the big money though.