Lightning strikes in ( near ) real time.

Phil Perry

Had the place hit twice in five minutes a couple of days ago. The first one was a very loud sharp crack about 6" away from my hand ( the modem frying) followed by the bang of the sound catching up. At least the computer and phone line survived. I usually lose about three modems a year to sheet lightning, the joys of being the only hunk of metal on top of a hill. I always buy modems in pairs so there's always a back up on hand.

Jeez

Had the place hit twice in five minutes a couple of days ago. The first one was a very loud sharp crack about 6" away from my hand ( the modem frying) followed by the bang of the sound catching up. At least the computer and phone line survived. I usually lose about three modems a year to sheet lightning, the joys of being the only hunk of metal on top of a hill. I always buy modems in pairs so there's always a back up on hand.

Jeez mate,. . .I hope yer life insurance covers electrifying moments like that. .. !

I got hit once when I lived in Wantirna South. . .had 45 ft lattice tower behind the house. It happened whilst we were out. DIdn't notice it until the next morning, it had burned three lengths of thick coax cable and there were burn marks along the side of the weatherboard where the coax was routed out to the mast. . . .lucky it was raining that hard that the house didn't burn too. Knackered my FT 101 and a VHF radio. . . always unplug stuff nowadays if there are any storms forecast, although I've not seen a storm here like the ones we used to get in Vic. . in.Brissy they were a lot worse !

• 2 weeks later...