Gillard faces caucus @ 4:30pm this afternoon.

fly_tornado

Who will win?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have a serious question about Julia. Why does she waddle instead of walking like a normal person ?

If it looks like one, walks waddles like one, talks like one (no talks like a fishwife but 2 out of 3 ain't bad) its a pretty safe bet it is one. Quack Quack.

Bex - no actually things run better here without a leader. Illegal immigration aside, when nothing is being done by government that's actually a good thing. We wish they would holiday for 9 months a year. Everything they do is a disaster and costs lots of money... federal debt is now approaching $13,000 for every man, woman and child - racked up in just five years. Their only substantive achievement in fact. If you then add in State and Council debt you'll need more than a bex.

I hope she apologises to the stolen from generation.

Here is my very uninformed opinion - Labour is heading for a landslide defeat regardless of who is in charge. If Rudd had challenged and won yesterday, then lost at the next election, then he would have been blamed. People have very short memories. I think Rudd will wait until Gillard loses the election and is forced to resign, and then he is free to hold up his hand as a candidate, having not challenged again (as he promised he would not). Rudd is young enough to handle several more years in opposition and certainly has some popularity still. Let's face it, who does the Labour party have to field after they lose?

Personal opinion again only, but it seems like it just gets worse with every new PM, regardless of ilk. Anyone know what life is like in NZ? Might be time to move out.....

I doubt Rudd will get the top job again, he has too much baggage. A lot of who leads the ALP depends on who is left after the election, there are only 7 QLD ALP members atm.

Aust. economy is in for a bad few years (decade?) regardless of who is in power.

NZ has MMP (Multi Member Proportional) instead of FPP (First Past the Post)...a disastrous political system that promotes a lack of ability to get anything done due to alliances having to be formed instead of being able to govern in a parties own right (although possible but extremely rare)...introduced in the mid 90's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed-member_proportional_representation

Jeez you blokes are funny, nothing gets people's knickers in a knot more so than politics . They're all as bad as each other. Australian federal politics is a bit of a circus I reckon.

Yep, to quote Stan Marsh of SouthPark, "every election you will ever vote in, will always come down to a choice between a giant douche and a turd sandwich" (Stan lecturing his son on his responsibilty to vote on the school mascot- a giant douche or turd sandwich).

NZ has MMP (Multi Member Proportional) instead of FPP (First Past the Post)...a disastrous political system that promotes a lack of ability to get anything done due to alliances having to be formed instead of being able to govern in a parties own right (although possible but extremely rare)...introduced in the mid 90'shttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed-member_proportional_representation

MMP is not a perfect system but it is far more representative of how people vote than the Preferential voting system we have here when your vote can be given to someone you can't stand. This is partly why I don't vote. I also think compulsory voting is undemocratic so I exercise my democratic right not to vote.

The other part is that I am married to an Australian but I am still a NZer & so I have to complete a 40 page form to become a permanent resident & fork out $4000.00 for the privilege. What privilege? I am able to live and work here permanently without this. Can anyone see any logic here. I still can't vote so I then have to file an application to become a citizen. I already have Medicare & Seniors cards, I have paid many thousands to both state and federal governments in tax & stamp duty & am eligible for a pension so long as I am broke by the time I am 65 so what privilege do I get by becoming a citizen? You guessed it, I can vote. No I am forced to vote or I get fined. Now you tell me "Why should I bother given the quality of politicians."

I lived in Auckland when they introduced MMP and felt from that first alliance with Winston Peters, nothing ever got done in the country from then on as they were always so busy fighting with each other...not to mention the deals they had to do...you vote for one party yet they drop many of the things, the very reasons why you voted for them in the first place, just to form an alliance with another party so they could govern...so what's the point of voting for any party

Corrine, the wife and a Kiwi, came an Australian citizen by simply filling in the form and going to a ceremony, the cost of it all was very minimal.

My daughter was born in NZ and at 2 weeks old became an Australian citizen (by descent) by just dropping the forms of at the Australian consulate (???) in Quay St Auckland...if I recall there was just something like a $100 lodgement fee

nothing ever got done in the country from then on as they were always so busy fighting with each other...not to mention the deals they had to do...you vote for one party yet they drop many of the things, the very reasons why you voted for them in the first place, just to form an alliance with another party so they could govern...so what's the point of voting for any party

Sounds strangely familiar.

Corrine, the wife and a Kiwi, came an Australian citizen by simply filling in the form and going to a ceremony, the cost of it all was very minimal.

The rules all changed on 26 February 2001. NZers who moved here after that are granted a special category visa which allows them to live & work here indefinitely. To become a citizen you must first get permanent residency ($3,750.00) then apply for citizenship ($260.00) total $4,010.00.

We were married in NZ & my wife was given automatic citizenship & voting rights. Fee, zero other than the marriage certificate.

I doubt Rudd will get the top job again, he has too much baggage. A lot of who leads the ALP depends on who is left after the election, there are only 7 QLD ALP members atm.Aust. economy is in for a bad few years (decade?) regardless of who is in power.

The Qld labor party is now the Tarago party

They hold their full member meetings in a Tarago

Basically big Kev knew he either didnt have the numbers. Or it was only going to be a slim win if he took Creans vote and gave him deputy PM. Which he didnt want!

If he had challenged and won with a slim majority he would be back to square one and constantly watching his back.

Meanwhile its the public that suffers. While the huge egos posture in canberra, business is losing or lost confidence, and no one seems to be running the country!

Regardless of which brand of politics you subscribe to the only way we can possibly move forward is with a general election. Sooner rather than later!

(At least then we might have some fresh faces and probably new scandals to complain about!)spacer.png