Electric cars

storchy neil

four and half hrs to drive 270 miles at 60 miles an hour then 10 hrs to charge battery so that trip took 14 and half hrs10 hrs to charge 16 kWh battery at 33 cents a kWh still want. That electric car neil

Neil what vehicle are you specifically referring to? Usually, people who knock EVs does so using out of date information. Whilst it does take around 10 hours to charge most EVs this is on a STANDARD HOME power point. Most EV owners would have a higher capacity charger. In Britain and Europe, there are a large network of public fast super chargers many of which are free to use or charge a small amount.

Whilst EVs have been expensive in the past they are rapidly approaching the point where they will be economically the best choice for many (but perhaps not all).

Why so down on new technology Neil? Why not open your mind and explore new ideas?

Most of the large car manufacturers have announced a phase-out of pure internal combustion powered cars whether you like it or not the future is coming.

I for one am looking forward to fully autonomous electric cars... My commute can be up to 300 miles in a day (trains here are too expensive for that distance on short notice).. Would love to hop in the car, curl up and have it beep me awake when I safely* arrived. Also, could have a couple of bevvies on the way home ;-) And, given the number of fast chargers already at motorway service stations (I believe a good number of them are, or at least were, owned by Macquarie Bank), the car could automatically pull in, top up, hopefully grab me a couple more bevvies and pull off.. Purrrrfect

*er - that assumes everyone else is driving autonomous vehicles and pedestrians, stray dogs and feral cats are banned from being anywhere near a road.

Interesting guest this evening on "The Money" - Radio National economics segment. Reckons that within 15-20 years, it's highly likely that most cars on the road will be electric fleet vehicles which people can simply call to their house and get dropped off - much like an unmanned taxi. Around 40% of people will still own their own cars (some may even be internal combustion) - but they'll only account for 5% of total usage given the amount of time that private vehicles are parked.

The reason that it'll change from car ownership being desirable to undesirable is because of cost factors - using fleet transport may be up to 90% cheaper than car ownership.

I'd like that. The amount of time I spend avoiding the b*stard ticket inspectors, just having a car drop me at work and pick me up from the pub would be brilliant.

Octave I HAVE HAD a mobile phone since 1980 /81 when did you get your first mobile phone now that's when there were not many towers a roundNow them modern phones need towers every 50 klm or so or they don't work I have been 5 ks from a tower with no reception Neil

I think I found a picture of you back then Neil...

spacer.png

four and half hrs to drive 270 miles at 60 miles an hour then 10 hrs to charge battery so that trip took 14 and half hrs10 hrs to charge 16 kWh battery at 33 cents a kWh still want. That electric car neil

Neil what you say here is completely true IN 1990 it is a bit like telling someone you fly an ultralight and they say to you. "an ultralight, a deathtrap powered by a lawnmower engine, don't they crash all the time???"

When you quote quote10 hours to charge that is undoubtedly from a standard power point. Most EV owners would have a 32amp power point (same as your oven, or a larger capacity charger).

A couple of questions for you.

What is the range of the new Tesla 3?

How long does it take to charge a standard power point and most importantly at one of the many supercharge stations around Britan and Europe? How much does this power cost the driver? What is the predicted life of the batteries? and more importantly what has been the real-life data show about how long batteries last?

Tesla Model 3 - Wikipedia

Not saying you should buy one, personally I would like my next car to be EV but we will see what is available.

Sorry octave but in last century 78 /79 got very interested in them old as they are now ultralights fact.

When couple blokes had one rescued them after put down in a paddock always wanted to have a go as it would have been a great feeling but tried sky diving instead

Yep all me mates have 32 amp power points I think not oh as for high capacity chargers not on yes I do own one no two

Neil

Interesting about the Tesla 3. As Kryton said in that Fully Charged episode, it's the only car ever to have tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of deposits paid without anyone being able to even test drive one.

If you wanted to see proof that electric cars are the future, there's a pretty big hint right there.

I predict that by 2025 (7 and a bit years) they will be the same price or cheaper than IC cars here. Then despite the best efforts of the backwards conservatives we'll see the public voting with their wallets for renewables - studies have shown that people who buy electric cars tend to buy solar for their home too.

Interesting about the Tesla 3. As Kryton said in that Fully Charged episode, it's the only car ever to have tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of deposits paid without anyone being able to even test drive one.

If you wanted to see proof that electric cars are the future, there's a pretty big hint right there.

I predict that by 2025 (7 and a bit years) they will be the same price or cheaper than IC cars here. Then despite the best efforts of the backwards conservatives we'll see the public voting with their wallets for renewables - studies have shown that people who buy electric cars tend to buy solar for their home too.

My son is a massive petrol head and regularly competes in motorsport. Last year he went on a trip to the US and whilst in San Fran he hired a Tesla x for the day, he loved it so much he has paid a deposit on a Tesla 3. Quite pricey since he now lives in NZ but he is prepared to pay the import costs (he has much more money than me)

I'd also like my next car to be EV. Development is currently full on. Combine this with Australias ability (so long as the head in the coal dust conservatives get creamed) to move to 100% renewable energy within 15-20 years (pumped hydro, solar & wind) all new passenger vehicles are likely to be electric. Coal is dead. No-one wants to invest in it. Look at what Sanjeev Gupta is doing buying steel mills to run on renewables.

The OLD petrol/ diesel car should have Gone straight on (factory engineered) L,P,Gas, 20 years ago!.

The NEWer cars should be on compressed natural gas.

As both fuels are sold over-sea's at give-away prices.

The electric.battery car's cost per Kw h couldn't compete with the price of CNG.

spacesailor