1400 Year History Of Islam!

farri

By blindly following Britain and America into every new war adventure Australia has been a significant contributor to the mess that has triggered this Age of Refugees. That means we have a moral obligation to take in some of the displaced. One of our nation's greatest moments was when Malcolm Frazer sent our Navy to rescue boat people from Indochina. They, like immigrants before them, immeasurably improved this country.

Unfortunately, not all immigrants make a good fit. We cannot expect people to leave their culture, their religion and their prejudices at the border. When those items pose a future threat to our national unity we owe it to our children to make tough choices.

.That means we have a moral obligation to take in some of the displaced.

No "we" don't.

We cannot expect people to leave their culture, their religion and their prejudices at the border.

Yes we can, it's nonsense that they continue with the very cultures that led them to their own problems. if it's so wonderful then stay where you are.

You would think any logical person would embrace an obviously superior living standard and accept the laws, methodologies and cultures that created that standard.

It's not rocket science.

... it's nonsense that they continue with the very cultures that led them to their own problems. if it's so wonderful then stay where you are.

You would think any logical person would embrace an obviously superior living standard and accept the laws, methodologies and cultures that created that standard...

You seem to have missed my point, Bex. we can "expect", even insist, that immigrants discard their culture and adopt ours; but it won't happen. Your own ancestors most likely brought an awful lot of their cultural baggage to Oz, as did mine- it's who we are. I was making the point that no matter what hoops we require new arrivals to jump thru, they won't discard their traditions.

I'm suggesting that we should give preference to those who can most easily integrate into our national community.

You seem to have missed my point, Bex. we can "expect", even insist, that immigrants discard their culture and adopt ours; but it won't happen.

There is bulk evidence of that, it however gets swept under the carpet and if you lift the carpet to show someone then you are immediately assaulted with power words such as 'bigot' or 'racist', etc.

Your own ancestors most likely brought an awful lot of their cultural baggage to Oz, as did mine- it's who we are.

Actually until about the 1980's it was all going pretty darn good. Personally I love Greeks and Italians along with a few others, and can't praise them high enough for what they have done for Oz culture and how they have integrated.

I have issues with recent immigration of some Muslim and some of the African cultures - or lack of culture that we recognise as being decent more to the point.

I'm suggesting that we should give preference to those who can most easily integrate into our national community.

"Winner" - All I have ever said is this.